A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Greatest rapper of all time

http://youtu.be/NkiJDw1Kung

Starts at 0:39

Yes, you can call that rapping if you want to be pedantic about it, given the loose definition of the term (although IMO it's borderline singing in places, so does that disqualify it?). But given this is a thread explicitly about hiphop, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

ST

Yes, you can call that rapping if you want to be pedantic about it, given the loose definition of the term (although IMO it's borderline singing in places, so does that disqualify it?). But given this is a thread explicitly about hiphop, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

ST

Because rap is a main ingredient of hip hop, that where I see the relation.

And some people today borderline sing worse than that and are still called rappers.

I'm just saying that was a fuking dope verse bugs bunny was doing in 1950

ST

I agree with this. Hip hop incorporates rap but the genre is a bit more specific.

Because rap is a main ingredient of hip hop, that where I see the relation.

And some people today borderline sing worse than that and are still called rappers.

To formulate logically, I would argue that the following things are true:

1) Not all rapping is hip-hop. (As you yourself have pointed out, rapping as an art-form predates Hip-hop quite significantly)

2) Not all hip-hop is rap. (There's plenty of hip-hop that does not involve rap music, despite their strong association)

And hence that one can divide music into the following four groups:

A] Rap, but not hip-hop.

B] Hip-hop, but not rap.

C] Hip-hop that is rap.

D] Music that is neither hip-hop nor rap.

Your example is in category A, while the subject matter of the thread is predominantly category C with a smattering of B. There's not really any reason to bring up a category A in this thread unless it is to discuss the historical origins of rap as it pertains to hip-hop...and I don't really see how Bugs Bunny calling out folk-dance style instructions really qualifies as that.

ST

Rap is the common denominator of 99% of hip hop, So if I found a clip of a rock drummer playing a beat that sounded like a traditional hip hop beat, would you say it has no place on this thread because rock drummers aren't hip hop?

That's what I did with the bugs clip, in my opinion that 1950 flow was better than a lot of rappers today.

Rap is the common denominator of 99% of hip hop, So if I found a clip of a rock drummer playing a beat that sounded like a traditional hip hop beat, would you say it has no place on this thread because rock drummers aren't hip hop?

That's what I did with the bugs clip, in my opinion that 1950 flow was better than a lot of rappers today.

I strongly disagree with the statement that 99% of hip-hop has rap in it. Hip-hop as an umbrella includes things as diverse as beatboxing and turntablism, neither of which necessitate having rap to accompany them. Personally I prefer instrumental hip-hop to rap-based stuff most of the time - the beats tend to be pretty damn infectious on their own. In any case, if something sounds like a traditional hip-hop beat then it is hip-hop, by definition. If someone is rapping, that does not automatically make it hip-hop.

Anyway, if you had come to the thread and included some analysis of why you think this clip is illustrative of great flow and was technically superior to some modern MCs (perhaps a comparison with some suitably uninspired rapper, and maybe some discussion/explanation of why something that is not in fact hip-hop is relevant), then I can see how we might have had an interesting discussion on the subject. But all you did was drop in the video and claim it was amazing - that's not going to be fun to talk about.

ST

I strongly disagree with the statement that 99% of hip-hop has rap in it. Hip-hop as an umbrella includes things as diverse as beatboxing and turntablism, neither of which necessitate having rap to accompany them. Personally I prefer instrumental hip-hop to rap-based stuff most of the time - the beats tend to be pretty damn infectious on their own. In any case, if something sounds like a traditional hip-hop beat then it is hip-hop, by definition. If someone is rapping, that does not automatically make it hip-hop.

Anyway, if you had come to the thread and included some analysis of why you think this clip is illustrative of great flow and was technically superior to some modern MCs (perhaps a comparison with some suitably uninspired rapper, and maybe some discussion/explanation of why something that is not in fact hip-hop is relevant), then I can see how we might have had an interesting discussion on the subject. But all you did was drop in the video and claim it was amazing - that's not going to be fun to talk about.

ST

Turntablism, instrumentals, and beatboxing or any other fringe style you can reach for make up less than 1% of hip hop. So I stand by my statement that rap is the common denominator of 99% of hip hop.

And spare me the bullshit about everything on this thread must include a technical discussion and comparison. I'm not the only one who put something and said its good. I put up something you don't like.. Get the fuck over it.

Oh and my post that's supposedly not any fun sparked debate lasting several pages, if its not fun to you then give it up and let it go, post something that IS fun to you.

Archived