A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

• 2 weeks later...

am I the only one who finds eminem completely unlistenable these days

Haven't listened to him much since early 2000s

But I play nba2k14 on ps3 and he has a song on there called I'm not Afraid, or Not Afraid something. It's soooooo bad, one part is like "I'm man enough to stand my ground" the whole song is just terrible.

Not by a long shot. A lot of people hate his new shit.

I hated Relapse but I thought Recovery was pretty decent. What I've heard of MMLP2 so far is pretty good also in my opinion.

Haven't listened to him much since early 2000s

But I play nba2k14 on ps3 and he has a song on there called I'm not Afraid, or Not Afraid something. It's soooooo bad, one part is like "I'm man enough to stand my ground" the whole song is just terrible.

The rest of Recovery was much better than Not Afraid. I didn't like that song either.

Relapse was terrible, but I thought Recovery was pretty good overall. I've heard all four MMLP2 singles released so far; Survival is really bad and The Monster is meh, but I really like Berzerk and Rap God.

Relapse was not my thing, recovery was ok. Even though I like that he wants to go back to the roots with marshall mather lp2 I don't think he can. Don't get me wrong I'm still compeletely hyped for this album but mmlp is my favourite Eminem album and arguably on of the best hiphop albums of all time. Survival of the fittest is indeed bad and I only liked the hook from Berzerk but Rap God kills it and keeps my expectations high.

I thought Rap God was excellent but I didn't like Berzerk at all. I'm not crazy about some of the other MMLP2 songs either "Stronger Than I Was" is just...bad. Really bad.

So Much Better, Brainless and Bad Guy are probably my favorites at the moment.

The verses on So Much Better sound the most like old Eminem out of anything else on the album.

I thought Rap God was excellent but I didn't like Berzerk at all. I'm not crazy about some of the other MMLP2 songs either "Stronger Than I Was" is just...bad. Really bad.

So Much Better, Brainless and Bad Guy are probably my favorites at the moment.

The verses on So Much Better sound the most like old Eminem out of anything else on the album.

is there a leak or what?

Yep. A bunch of sites have it streaming at the moment.

Yeah I heard some of it now...and honestly Rap God is the highlight of the album so far. Also I think the album will suffer from unmet expectations by having 'Marshall mathers LP' in its title.

Eminem's new shit just doesn't cut it. He's trying to be conventional, but that just isn't who he is. (That said Relapse was ok. Recovery, not so much). Also keep in mind Eminem was heavily drugged up during his best days, and now apparently he's clean. And lame.

Meh Eminem has never really done it for me, it's not like he's bad, I just think that he's way overrated, mainly because he is white. The main reason he's sold tens of millions of albums is simply because he is white, if he was a regular black dude he wouldn't have been half as successful. I'm not saying his bad remember, because he's most certainly got talent. I just think he is one of the most overrated rappers of all time. I would say guys like Nas, Busta and 3 stacks are much better, but don't get the widespread critical and commercial acclaim like Eminem does. (Not saying those guys aren't successful but none of them has sold albums like Eminem has). In fact I'm pretty sure all those guys I mentioned combined haven't sold as many albums as Eminem has...

Meh Eminem has never really done it for me, it's not like he's bad, I just think that he's way overrated, mainly because he is white. The main reason he's sold tens of millions of albums is simply because he is white, if he was a regular black dude he wouldn't have been half as successful. I'm not saying his bad remember, because he's most certainly got talent. I just think he is one of the most overrated rappers of all time. I would say guys like Nas, Busta and 3 stacks are much better, but don't get the widespread critical and commercial acclaim like Eminem does. (Not saying those guys aren't successful but none of them has sold albums like Eminem has). In fact I'm pretty sure all those guys I mentioned combined haven't sold as many albums as Eminem has...

Nas and Andre 3000 are both pretty commonly considered to be among the greatest of all time. Em is up there too of course on a lot of people's lists.

Have to disagree about him being white being a golden ticket.

I rarely hear a horrible white rapper make it very far, u gotta have skills

I hear black dudes go fart on the mic and it's a hit.

I think dudes like Nas are better than him but somebody like Joe Budden or Fabulous are shit IMO and they sold well

Yeah, it's not just because he's white, there were white rappers before him who didn't get anywhere. But being white was a huge boost. He acknowledges that himself, I think the lyric is from "Say Goodbye To Hollywood", where he says "Let's do the math, if I was black I would have sold half." and "White America" is entirely about that topic basically.

There's an interview with Talib Kweli where he voices the same opinion and says if Em was a black guy he wouldn't have blown up anywhere near as fast as he did, and in the same interview says he considers Em one of the best rappers of all time.

You just have to look to the people who "Don't like hip-hop but listen to some Eminem, Macklemore and Mac Miller" to understand that being white can be a massive boost in terms of mainstream success.

But you still have to be amazing to get in the position to attract those new white fans to hip hop.

You can't be just some average guy.

It's like Larry Bird, he was popular as shit off being white but he was still amazing at not overrated or didn't get in the NBA just because he was white,

I'm sure there were both advantages and disadvantages to being white but he still had to be amazing to get where he was.

House of Pain (white guys) came out 10 years before Eminem and they went harder than anything Em ever did but they didn't blow up ridiculously like that

And why did Bubba Sparxx fall off if being white and mediocre gets you the golden pass

But you still have to be amazing to get in the position to attract those new white fans to hip hop.

You can't be just some average guy.

It's like Larry Bird, he was popular as shit off being white but he was still amazing at not overrated or didn't get in the NBA just because he was white,

I'm sure there were both advantages and disadvantages to being white but he still had to be amazing to get where he was.

House of Pain (white guys) came out 10 years before Eminem and they went harder than anything Em ever did but they didn't blow up ridiculously like that

And why did Bubba Sparxx fall off if being white and mediocre gets you the golden pass

I'm not disagreeing that Em is great though, I think he's incredibly talented. I just agree with Kweli's point that being white helped him blow up much faster than he otherwise would have, and achieve a bigger audience than he otherwise would have. Marshall Matthers LP is an amazing album but look at how much that sold compared to say, Illmatic. Both are considered by many to be two of the best albums of all time, a lot of people would argue that Illmatic is the best hip-hop album of all time.

Illmatic sold about a million copies, MMLP sold over 10 million.

That's not a fair comparison, illmatic came out 6 years before MMLP in 94 during a different era.

Rock music was still king of pop music in 94, em hit during raps takeover of the pop scene.

Now let's go another 6 years before Illmatic,

Follow the Leader by Eric B&rakim was every bit as good as illmatic to me but only sold a few hundred K.

Does that mean Nas is overrated because he had advantages in selling albums over them?

Illmatic sold about a million copies, MMLP sold over 10 million.

My point exactly, I never said Eminem was mediocre or average, I said he was a good talented rapper, I just think white people have put him up on a pedestal for too long and he's widespread commercial success is directly linked to the color of his skin (I am white btw).

He can flow better than most including everyone on andrews list.

No he can't dude. Nas is in my opinion the greatest rapper of all time, Eminem wouldn't even make the top 20. Andre 3000 would be top 10 at least and Busta would make the top 20. Eminem has lyrical ability, but his flow is nothing more than average.

That's like the people that say Obama is only president because he is black and black ppl put him unfairly on a pedestal. That's just ridiculous.

So what if some ppl voted for him because he's black or who cares if some ppl bought Marshall Mathers because he's white.

They still went to top of their game because of their talent

Archived