A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

That's not a fair comparison, illmatic came out 6 years before MMLP in 94 during a different era.

Rock music was still king of pop music in 94, em hit during raps takeover of the pop scene.

Now let's go another 6 years before Illmatic,

Follow the Leader by Eric B&rakim was every bit as good as illmatic to me but only sold a few hundred K.

Does that mean Nas is overrated because he had advantages in selling albums over them?

Alright, how about Jay-Z's "The Blueprint"? Came out a year after The MMLP, sold two million copies. Also considered one of the best hip-hop albums of all time. Or Outkast's "Stankonia", another album considered to be one of the greatest ever. Came out the same year as MMLP, sold four million.

Bonus Fun Fact: The only hip-hop album that has sold more copies than The MMLP is MC Hammer's "Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em" at 18 million copies. I think that's pretty incredible :lol:

I'm pretty sure neither Jay Z nor Outkast are underrated. People give them their respect as among the greatest of all time.

If you are basing it all on album sales endlessly promoted by a big record label then they are all overhyped and Too $hort is the king rapper.

And Scarface in second

Btw I liked MMLP better than blueprint or stankonia.

But Outkasts first 3 albums were better than Marshal Mathews to me though.

I'm pretty sure neither Jay Z nor Outkast are underrated. People give them their respect as among the greatest of all time.

If you are basing it all on album sales endlessly promoted by a big record label then they are all overhyped and Too $hort is the king rapper.

And Scarface in second

I wasn't saying either of them are underrated though, or that Em is overrated. Like I said I think he's great and MMLP is one of my favorite albums. My only point is that being white made him more popular than he would have been if he made the exact same music as a black guy.

That's like the people that say Obama is only president because he is black and black ppl put him unfairly on a pedestal. That's just ridiculous.

So what if some ppl voted for him because he's black or who cares if some ppl bought Marshall Mathers because he's white.

They still went to top of their game because of their talent

You just compared Eminem to Barack Obama....this conversation is done, I don't think you will ever understand what I am saying.

Also, after listening to MMLP2 in its entirety a few times...mediocrity is the word that stands out in my mind.

There are a few great tracks, a couple of shitty ones and the rest were just...meh.

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. Rap God gave me a lot of hope. That's easily the best song on the album.

I wasn't saying either of them are underrated though, or that Em is overrated. Like I said I think he's great and MMLP is one of my favorite albums. My only point is that being white made him more popular than he would have been if he made the exact same music as a black guy.

So what?

There's a certain amount of that sure but not like how it's being claimed.

Like he's only popular because white ppl put him on a pedestal, that's dumb.

Nelly Country Grammar wasn't that far behind MArshall Mathers in sales in the same year.

Enter the Wu Tang is the best rap album ever IMO, it outsold Illmatic, is that because they were whiter than Nas?

So what?

There's a certain amount of that sure but not like how it's being claimed.

Like he's only popular because white ppl put him on a pedestal, that's dumb.

Nelly Country Grammar wasn't that far behind MArshall Mathers in sales in the same year.

Enter the Wu Tang is the best rap album ever IMO, it outsold Illmatic, is that because they were whiter than Nas?

I don't understand why you're getting so defensive about this. And if you look back to the first post I made on the subject, I specifically said "It's not only because he's white." so I don't know where this "He's only popular because white ppl put him on a pedestal" line is coming from, I never said or implied that.

Anyway, I've made my points. I think it's pretty clear to most people, and clear to Em himself, that being white had a very positive effect on his career. You can disagree with me if you wish I don't really feel like arguing about it anymore.

Actually the first post about this claimed he is overrated mainly because he is white and he sold so many albums mainly because he is white.

Which I disagree with.

And he would not have half the success if he was "a regular black dude".

First, a regular black dude is not going to be good at rapping, rappers are mostly good at it.

Second, I don't think there are 20 million + people out there who bought a rap album just because the dude is white.

No he can't dude. Nas is in my opinion the greatest rapper of all time, Eminem wouldn't even make the top 20. Andre 3000 would be top 10 at least and Busta would make the top 20. Eminem has lyrical ability, but his flow is nothing more than average.

Haha...ok. Busta and dre ahead of eminem(early em)?? I know it's opinion but damn.

"If I was black, man I wouldn't have sold half, I ain't have to graduate from Lincoln Highschool to know that"

Personally, some of my favorite Eminem tracks are on Recovery 'Cold Wind Blows', 'Cinderella Man', 'Won't Back Down', '25 to life', 'Almost Famous'. They're very different from pre-relapse Eminem, but as someone who was always more moved by his passion and penchant for unbelievable rhyming, I think they're great.

Enter the Wu-Tang would make my top 10 list easy, but considering Nas wrote and recorded Illmatic at around the age of 17-18, I would consider it the greatest album hip-hop has ever created. For someone to have such amazing lyrical skill, mature flow and amazing production backing, at the age of 18 was un-heard of at the time.

Wow Goodie Mob is better than Outkast? Shame on you Daario, shame on you.

I think Only Built for Cuban Linx is my favorite album ever but Illmatic is in my top 3, Never gets old.

2 classics that never get old. Illmatic is what a album should be. Nine(not counting the intro)classic songs with no fillers. Pretty close to flawless...and a debut album by a youngin, as pointed out.

Archived