A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

not sure this needed a thread of its own, Heavy D, dead at 44

http://music.yahoo.c...-225345243.html

Maybe we need a special thread called: "You know who died?", cus I dont even know if smokin' Joe got his own thread.

On Heavy; shame, I liked his flow and the way he appealed to the radiostation but still had a message.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hip hop parodies by filnobep. Had to share it here. This guy is funny as hell. I was trying to think if this maybe belonged in a thread about Youtube parodies or something, but I decided to post it here.

And in case you're wondering which song they parodied in the first video, here's a link to the original song. One of the best comments that got me to crack up, "Let me know when this comes out in English."

Killer Mike & El-P - R.A.P. Music. Full album now streaming on this site.....

http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-killer-mikes-fiery-rap-music-mc-runs-us-through-his-new-lp

This is great. Sometimes I find myself apologising for hip-hop these days but this feels like some real, grown-up music.

Killer Mike with something to say + El-P's bomb squad style production = A great, cohesive album. I'll happily part with my hard earned for this.

Killer Mike & El-P - R.A.P. Music. Full album now streaming on this site.....

http://www.spin.com/...ough-his-new-lp

This is great. Sometimes I find myself apologising for hip-hop these days but this feels like some real, grown-up music.

Killer Mike with something to say + El-P's bomb squad style production = A great, cohesive album. I'll happily part with my hard earned for this.

When ppl talk about how bad most of today's hip hop is, ppl from the South assume that it's a knock on Dirty South music, but they don't understand that I can listen to Killer Mike all day. This is proof that I have nothing against Southern Rap. Every track on that album is real and isn't just an endless string of punchlines with cookie-cutter beats, and a catchy hook stuck in there. Definitely a buy.

Thanks for the link.

This just crawled across my internet yesterday. I thought it was interesting. Not really my thing, and I'd probably categorize this as pop music, but it's not bad and it's good that this chick is trying to do something original, and she is rapping so...

Nice to see Frank Ocean get a mention in this track. I hadn't realized how popular him and his group are with teens. My nephew even listens to Tyler.

So is the new Beeber Kid or the new Rebecca Black?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I woke up this morning with a burning need for choppers.

Worldwide Choppers - Tech N9ne ft. Yelawolf, Busta Rhymes, Twista, Ceza, D-Loc

Midwest Choppers - Tech N9ne ft. K-Dean & Krayzie Bone

E2A: A few honorable mentions -

Three best WWC covers on the net (in my opinion)

2.http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

The worst

and a place to learn (I like how this cat set it up)...

• 5 months later...

NaS doing one of his newest (and best) songs on Conan. Love how he's evolved over the years.

http://www.islanddef...4&artistID=7312

Reminds me of Andre 3000. They're not really out to impress the teens and tweens but to expand themselves musically at this point. Some of their best work has come out in this decade but, in Nas' case, is unfortunately some of the least heard. At least people actually heard The Love Below but alot of ppl criticized him bc it wasn't what they were used to from Outkast's earlier albums.

• 7 months later...

I recently got into rap and hip hop in the past couple years, listening to as many artists as I can.

After listening to a lot, I still think this is my favorite song, even though I don't think it was released on an album or as a single or anything.

oh man, I never knew this thread existed. Perhaps I can use it to vent my frustration at the direction Kanye west's music has take since he released MBDTF(a modern classic IMO). But let me not go into that now, all I'm going to say is bugger Kanye, bugger modern hip hop and bugger record executives for being the driving force behind the bucket loads of bubblegum hip hop that we've been getting lately.

I recently got into rap and hip hop in the past couple years, listening to as many artists as I can.

After listening to a lot, I still think this is my favorite song, even though I don't think it was released on an album or as a single or anything.

Nice. Aesop Rock's Labor Days is a modern day classic. I don't know who else you have heard so I'll just name some of my favorites: Jedi Mind Tricks, Celph Titled, Ill Bill, Necro, Apathy, Army of the Pharaohs, La Coko Nostra, some older Cage, Copywrite, Vinnie Paz, Jak Progresso and Virtuoso. Many of the guys like Vinnie and Celph are in some of the groups mentioned but I figured I would name them all anyways.

Biggy, Outkast and Cypress Hill are legends also.

Archived