Rugby

Vestrit

Well, other thread was pages back and pretty close to being closed anyway, so time to start afresh.

And how better to start afresh than with the news that Dean Richards has been banned for THREE YEARS for the fake blood incident?

OK, I fully agree he needed to be punished and that it was shit that Williams initially took the fall.

But three years?

Mind you, the coach in me goes back to the things they tell you when you first get your accreditation, about being responsible for the image of the game and setting behavioural standards etc.

Seems harsh but I'm keen to hear what the rest of you think about this.

It's a fuck of a long time, but the cheating was of a particularly egregious level. I suppose the four other incidents they uncovered and the fact they actually cut Williams in the dressing room to cover up the fake injury takes the whole thing to another level. That's organised and premeditated cheating and they deserve everything they get. And I'm not saying that just because it's Quins.

*I'd rather be a Paddy than a Quin

I'd rather be a Paddy than a Tim

Rather be a Paddy

Rather be a Paddy

Rather be a Paddy than a Quin*

Williams, who took a red dye capsule on to the field in his sock and subsequently bit into it to feign a blood injury, had his 12-month ban reduced to four months last night.

A question for the more informed. Did Williams leave the field briefly to get the capsule or was this just part of the standard Harlequin routine before a match?

Laces? Check.

Mouth guard? Check.

Blood capsule in the sock? Check.

I think the ban is a bit harsh, how often to people fake injuries in sports games without using fake blood? Having said that I can understand wanting to stamp out the issue and if they are going to impose strict penalties I do think it's appropriate that Richards gets a longer ban than Williams.

The problem with a ban this long is that it really might mean the end of his career in rugby, which is a shame because I think Richards is one of the better coaches around.

On a separate note in the absence of any other rugby to watch I've been watching the Air New Zealand Cup and it's actually surprisingly good.

On a separate note in the absence of any other rugby to watch I've been watching the Air New Zealand Cup and it's actually surprisingly good.

Absence? May you be forgiven. I went to the London Irish v London Welsh friendly on Friday night*, then the Middlesex Sevens on Saturday, which we won. Sunday was only the club open day, so that doesn't count.

*Ryan Lamb is shit.

Absence? May you be forgiven. I went to the London Irish v London Welsh friendly on Friday night*, then the Middlesex Sevens on Saturday, which we won. Sunday was only the club open day, so that doesn't count.

*Ryan Lamb is shit.

Read something interesting about Ryan Lamb the other day.

Apparently every time he’s about to throw a long pass, he does something in particular with his feet (can’t remember what it is), one of those physical tics that he doesn’t even realise he does.

So when opposition backlines are playing against him, as soon as they see this particular movement, they leave him alone and fire straight out to his outsides and hit them as the ball arrives and kill the play then and there.

One of the reasons the Gloucester backline struggled when he was there.

I can well believe it. On Friday he was also practising long missed passes to isolated stationary wingers who were then battered and turned over. He obviously wasn't happy with it though, 'cause he kept refining the technique.

Referee's Checklist:

1. Whistle

2. Watch

3. Earpiece

4. Mic

5. Coin for toss at start of game (and scrum penalties during game)

6. Fake blood analysis test kit

And how better to start afresh than with the news that Dean Richards has been banned for THREE YEARS for the fake blood incident?

Aww, and ref's were so looking forward to getting the latex gloves on.

On a serious note that article says Richards... "was also found to have been involved in four similar incidents, hence the severity of his punishment."

What happened here? If there's a clear history of him employing this tactic then 3 years seems more than appropriate.

Referee's Checklist:

5. Coin for toss at start of game (and scrum penalties during game)

:lol:

On a serious note that article says Richards... "was also found to have been involved in four similar incidents, hence the severity of his punishment."

What happened here? If there's a clear history of him employing this tactic then 3 years seems more than appropriate.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Anybody know the history here?

A mate of mine just said he thought three years was completely over the top, especially as Wasps continue to get away scot free with the old "injured prop routine". OK, that one has always annoyed me, too, but this feels so much worse, but I can't really articulate why. :unsure:

A mate of mine just said he thought three years was completely over the top, especially as Wasps continue to get away scot free with the old "injured prop routine". OK, that one has always annoyed me, too, but this feels so much worse, but I can't really articulate why. :unsure:

Those props are genuinely injured. Minor injuries happen to props all the time, when they're being beaten in the scrum.

Poor props. :cry:

Absence? May you be forgiven. I went to the London Irish v London Welsh friendly on Friday night*, then the Middlesex Sevens on Saturday, which we won.

I'm a forward, even watching sevens makes me feel slightly ill. :P

Incidentally a revolutionary new tactic for sevens pioneered by my team (of largely forwards) in our club sevens was the length of the pitch try from the seven man rolling maul. Now that's champagne rugby.

I couldn't care less is everyone involved is banned for life. Stamp this shit out.

The injured prop thing is fucking sickening. Get some decent props who can scrummage for 80 minutes without snapping you retarded coaching shitbags. Propping can not be learned at the bottom of a tin of creatine.

JDV is a quality signing. I am a big fan of his.

True story, my Junior team got kicked out of the Junior Middlesex 7s final against Quins because I insisted on the team being referred to as Hezbollah. We got drunk in the two hours between the semi and the final.

True story, my Junior team got kicked out of the Junior Middlesex 7s final against Quins because I insisted on the team being referred to as Hezbollah. We got drunk in the two hours between the semi and the final.

:lol: Ah ha!! this is why the festival atmoshere of rugby 7's will be right for the 2016 Olympics. It's not about gold its about the last man standing :drunk: participation.

New Zealand beat Australia to remain just about still in the Tri Nations. The Australian commentators kept talking about what a good game it was, they must have been watching a game than I was. The main thing I got from the game was how far behind South Africa both of these teams are.

A somewhat predictable win for South Africa today and they scored four tries as well, on a positive note for New Zealand they didn't look as dominant in the lineout and they creaked a bit in the scrums.

It looks like Gavin Henson's career might be over with Ospreys putting him on indefinite unpaid leave, despite him being a cock it's a shame to see such a talented player suffering so much from injury.

Archived