Could they be planning to have the Starks talk with a Brittish accent and the Lannisters with an American?

Kinski

We know that Peter Dinklage has been cast as Tyrion, and so far he is the only American in the show. The rest of the characters that has been cast are Starks and those actors/actresses are all from the UK (accept Ehle but her mother if from England and she can talk with a perfect British accent). So maybe they are planning to have the Starks talk with an British accent and Lannister with an American. When you think about it this would make sense: Westeros is a continent and as everyone is already talking the same language maybe they should at least talk with different accents. Anyone agrees?

For me personally accents doesn't matter. It wouldn't even bother that much if people in same family have different accents, talent is way more important then things like accent and looks.

We know that Peter Dinklage has been cast as Tyrion, and so far he is the only American in the show. The rest of the characters that has been cast are Starks and they are all from the UK. So maybe they are planning to have the Starks talk with an British accent and Lannister with an American. When you think about it this would make sense: Westeros is an continent and as everyone is already talking the same language maybe they should at least talk with different accents. Anyone agrees?

For me personally accents doesn't matter that much. It wouldn't even bother that much if people in same family have different accents, talent is way more important then things like accent and looks.

I think the actors who are Westerosi will have a British accent, including Dinklage putting one on. The characters outside of Westeros will have other accents, but I don't think we'll find any American accents in this production.

I always thought it might be interesting if there were local accents we could pick out; a person from King's Landing sounding different than a Riverrun fisherman sounding different than a Winterfall guard, etc.

That said, where do you start with American accents? Peter Dinklage is from New Jersey. Does that mean Jaime, Cersei, and Tywin all sound as though they're from Hoboken?

Josh Holloway (Sawyer of Lost fame - a favorite for some in the Jaime Lannister sweepstakes) is famously bad at accents that aren't in the southern drawl range; he's said himself in numerous interviews the producers of Lost were forced to rewrite parts of his character's past in order to make him right for that role. Some actors just aren't good with accents.

Hard to qualify an American accent.

I like the thought, and the detail it would entail, but if I were going to do it I'd do it with varying British (and Northern Ireland) accents.

I like the thought, and the detail it would entail, but if I were going to do it I'd do it with varying British (and Northern Ireland) accents.

I think that's what they're going for. Dinklage will most likely be doing a British accent and is probably working on it right at this moment...

My mind's getting silly, waiting for any new news. I'm imagining the famous lines in various accents...

The things ah do for luv, y'all.

Yer a-gunna fight dat? No, I'm a-gunna kill dat.

Wintah is comin'

Wherevah ho's go.

(Okay, okay, don't beat me up. I'm outta here. Y'all.)

To be honest, I don't care what accents are used so long as they are consistent. The likelihood is that the vast majority of actors and extras will be from the UK, so it would make more sense to ask Dinkage and any other American actors to put on some kind of British accent, so that they don't stand out like a sore thumb.

As a uk fan, I wouldn't mind seeing the lannisters with American accents, with everyone else as British. I think it would be cool, a sort of 'inversion' of the traditional tv/film situation were the bad guys unconditionally speak with a British voice. Not that the Lannisters are necessarily bad, but they are certainly percieved that way from the start.

Variations of American accents wouldn't bother me as a British viewer, I just lump them all in as American. :P

I have a very bad ear for languages. And have a very hard time distinguishing between various danish accents. Or speaking anything other than Danish or English.

I probably wouldn´t notice (or care about) any accents.

As long as they aren´t overdone.

There are so many more important things.

Archived