Hints on Not A Blog, III

Gabriele

Repeat of what I said @WiC:

I also support Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont:

- Award Winning - Silver Berlin Bear

- Will be going back to a place he's been before - morocco, both filming location of Jorah and "Kingdom of Heaven"

- Once went to the wars with our Jaime - "Kingdom of Heaven"

- Important King involved - he was "Richard Coeur de Lion" in "Kingdom of Heaven"

- Mountains he might know - played in movie "Mountains of the Moon"

- Possible Jaimes: Kevin McKidd, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

I proposed Nikolaj Coster-Waldau before, but now he seems an even better fit.

Now, is Ser Barristan in the pilot or not?

I thought he should be (since the king, the queen, and the princes are around) , but perhpas just in the background without saying much.

some people suggested he is not in the pilot at all. Is there evidence of that in the books?

I don't think Barristan is mentioned in the script, but I could very easily see him being included in the King's entourage that travels north. I think only Jaime among the King's Guard is mentioned, but I imagine that if the entire royal family goes north to Winterfell, most if not ALL of the King's Guard will accompany them.

Edit: actually, the script obliquely mentions the King's Guard as "knights in snow-white cloaks" who flank Robert as he makes his entrance.

On cold-eyed Ned. We have Dany (Who has never seen him) and Jaime (Who has a mutual hate relationship with Ned. Ned's eyes probably turn cold when they see Jaime). Not the perfect judges, those two.

If Barristan is in the pilot, he has a non-speaking role for the feast scene. It doesn't make sense that they'll do that.

Brude,

Mountains of the Moon isn't a film about a war, as such, and I don't believe the character he played (John Hanning Speke) was ever involved in any of the British wars of the era.

Brude,

Mountains of the Moon isn't a film about a war, as such, and I don't believe the character he played (John Hanning Speke) was ever involved in any of the British wars of the era.

Huh? Not sure what that has to do with any of my posts so far.

Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning. I thought you were referencing the "been to the wars together" thing. As far as I recall, Bernard Hill hasn't played a historical king (except perhaps on the stage?), nor has Patrick Bergin or Richard E. Grant (except, again, perhaps on stage). The closest they get is Bergin as King Arthur, but I don't think that really works.

Glen and Coster-waldau do seem too perfect to be wrong. For me the decider is the "History may have been changed" remark of GRRM. I would think it has to be in reference to a movie about a real king, all of the other clues make KoH a perfect fit. Which I think screams towards Glen as a new cast member. And of course, 'Coffee and a Danish' seems too clever to not indicate Waldau with the other clues in sight.

However, to play devil's advocate...

"Too good to be true" Unless this is a 'layered' clue, Doesn't that leave the door open for Bloom and Norton? Benioff worked with Norton on 25th hour, so that door isn't as closed as some might think. Plus... he's squirrelly about his role choices. He tends to go with non-mainstream choices, or at least darker choices. Bloom also has the 'commonality' with Ned, and has the looks for Jamie or Loras.

I'll be honest, I haven't read all 1200ish posts on the topic, so these two might have been full-on disproved already, but I think it's in the realm of possibility that one of them has been cast.

I shoud pay better attention. Or drink more coffee. ;)

This is a guy who once went to the wars with our Jaime, though it's a good thing that Jaime wasn't a kingslayer then, or all history might have been changed.

That pretty much rules out LOTR as rerefence, and King Arthur and Troy as well.

Leaves us with Kingdom of Heavens, The Tudors and maybe the Alexander movie.

Bloom's much too old for Loras now. His youth is a very important part of his character, so I don't think you can just toss that out the window.

And in any case, Loras isn't in the pilot, so we should stick to those characters. :)

I'm wondering if the references to Iain Glen might refer to the gloriously atrocious The Last Legion. Almost definitely not and Kingdom of Heaven is a much better match, but I was wondering about that because that could bring in Colin Firth, who might also fit in with the 'too good to be true' line. But as Jaime? Hmm. Fans of Pride and Prejudice might be amused to see him pairing off again with Jennifer Ehle in certain exchanges from the books.

I note Glen played General Orestes who, whilst not technically a king, was basically the ruler of the Roman Empire at the time.

Interestingly, as well as Iain Glen I also note the Alexander 'Dr. Bashir' Siddig was in both Kingdom and Legion. He could totally be one of Dany's cohorts in the east, but probably not for any role in the pilot (although bulk him up and he might have been a viable Drogo 10 years ago).

I'm wondering if the references to Iain Glen might refer to the gloriously atrocious The Last Legion. Almost definitely not and Kingdom of Heaven is a much better match, but I was wondering about that because that could bring in Colin Firth, who might also fit in with the 'too good to be true' line. But as Jaime? Hmm. Fans of Pride and Prejudice might be amused to see him pairing off again with Jennifer Ehle in certain exchanges from the books.

But the Lost Legion wouldn't fit with 'change History'.

In fact, it already did. :P

Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood your meaning. I thought you were referencing the "been to the wars together" thing. As far as I recall, Bernard Hill hasn't played a historical king (except perhaps on the stage?), nor has Patrick Bergin or Richard E. Grant (except, again, perhaps on stage). The closest they get is Bergin as King Arthur, but I don't think that really works.

Actually, Bernard Hill has played William of Orange in something called "The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse" (??!! whatever that is) and Theseus in a Spanish production of "A Midsummer Nights Dream" (if that counts).

Just to recap the bits of information that would make Coster-Waldau work for Jaime:

1) "Dutch Treat" - Played John Amsterdam, an immortal Dutchman, in New Amsterdam

2) "Coffee and a Danish" - Coster-Waldau is from Denmark

3) Recently on American television - Twice over, in Amsterdam last year and in the Virtuality pilot this year.

4) Shows and characters cancelled -- Amsterdam cancelled after a few episodes, Virtuality passed over for a series. Also, at the end of Virtuality, his character -- the primary character of that episode, the captain of the spaceship -- is shockingly killed.

5) Connection to Ned - Besides his Ned-like death in Virtuality (shocking death of leading character near the end), he was a rather reluctant headsman in The Headsman

6) Off to the wars, but not a kingslayer - Was in Kingdom of Heaven, although he was a village sheriff in France, not one of the soldiers in the Crusade; possibly killed by Orlando Bloom, too. However, as Halfhand notes on his blog, this doesn't really mean too much. GRRM may have just seen he was in the film and assumed he was one of the large cast of knights and soldiers.

7) "Too Good to be True" -- Tenuous, but on YouTube one of the first hits you get when punching in his name is a fan video dedicated to him titled "2 Good 2 Be True".

The only piece that doesn't work for him is the Romeo clue. But that one did not have to be a reference to Jaime, and instead could have been referring to an actor in another male role (Theon, say, or the unnamed sixth role).

Why assume so many of these clues point to Jaime? Well, I'd say it's probably because it sure seems like Jaime is one of the most important roles (and popular characters) among the remaining significant roles. Wouldn't surprise me if George put an emphasis on those.

I think Iain Glen is a really great guess from Legion from WIC.

1.He will be going back to a place he's been before: Morocco

2.This is a guy who once went to the wars with our Jaime, though it's a good thing that Jaime wasn't a kingslayer then: He's king Richard and history will change if he was killed.

3.There are mountains in Westeros that he might know, though his character has never seen 'em: Mountains of the Moon.

This leaves Jaime ....

Archived