New Casting Announcements

Stubby

I think the best new casting are Jaime and Dany

That guy has the kind of razor sharp smile that Jaime is described as having.

And I barely watched the Tudors but when I saw Katherine Howard and i was instantly perked up by Tamzin Merchant. :P

We're still talking about this?

Anyone saying Merchant is ugly is a fucking moron with severe eye damage. OMG TEH FOREHEAD seems to be the only actual complaint raised. Please fucking stop.

She's beautiful and she'll do excellently on the show.

nah, people that don't find her good looking aren't attracted to aliens; she's the one w/ the eye damage

seriously, this is pretty to you? http://www.touchoflovefilm.com/images/bio/bio-Anna2.jpg

Richard Madden = Robb Stark

I actually laughed the first I loaded the blog post with the two pictures next to one another. Very appropriate :) Same slightly pissed-off attitude, same tilted head. Not Robb in AGoT, but definitely by ASoS.

Actually, the photo of Tamzin Merchant and Amok's painting of her that you posted on your blog are actually shockingly close, too.

Sigh. I suppose the influx of trolls was inevitable.

With regard to looks, a great many people are vastly underestimating the effect of makeup, costumes, and lighting. Judging Tamzin Merchant's looks based off of a single screen-capture still from The Tudors is ludicrous. With silver hair, purple eyes, and a very different general aesthetic to the production, it's unlikely that she will even begin to resemble the ill-fated wife of Henry VIII. All that is required of the Dany character from a physical perspective is that she be pretty, waifish, and look young. Everything else is the job of the production.

Particularly with a character like Dany I'm far more concerned about the range of ability that the actress is going to have to show. This is someone that's going to have to convince me that she's a scared little girl in the pilot, but make my spine tingle when she tells a certain maegi that she doesn't require her screams, only her death.

So long as the physical characteristics fall within reasonable approximations of the character as described in the book, I'd much rather they found the best actress for the role, as opposed to the best model for the still photos.

Iain Glen and Jorah Mormont aren't that far off either.

Indeed, especially given that Jorah is a big guy and Iain isn't so much, but they've both got that slightly world-weary look to them.

Silverstar, is that you commenting on George's LJ as, erm, Silverstar? Does this mean we can cajole you into the BwB LJ community, where we have virtual cookies and much snark? :P

Sigh. I suppose the influx of trolls was inevitable.

With regard to looks, a great many people are vastly underestimating the effect of makeup, costumes, and lighting. Judging Tamzin Merchant's looks based off of a single screen-capture still from The Tudors is ludicrous. With silver hair, purple eyes, and a very different general aesthetic to the production, it's unlikely that she will even begin to resemble the ill-fated wife of Henry VIII. All that is required of the Dany character from a physical perspective is that she be pretty, waifish, and look young. Everything else is the job of the production.

Particularly with a character like Dany I'm far more concerned about the range of ability that the actress is going to have to show. This is someone that's going to have to convince me that she's a scared little girl in the pilot, but make my spine tingle when she tells a certain maegi that she doesn't require her screams, only her death.

So long as the physical characteristics fall within reasonable approximations of the character as described in the book, I'd much rather they found the best actress for the role, as opposed to the best model for the still photos.

I think she'll be a great model for the still photos too. :-) I remember seeing her in 2005's Pride and Prejudice as Georgiana Darcy and it crossing my mind that she could be a good Dany, but I was fixed on Gemma Ward. They have similar features though.

She'll be great folks, looking at her features I can see she'll look the part. I always imagined Dany as looking more weird beautiful than classically beautiful. And acting is more important, but she better act her bootay off.

Yeah, that were my doubts, too, when the name first popped up. But she seems to have convinced GRRM and the casting crew, and that's what counts. They see all those test presentations, after all.

Silverstar, is that you commenting on George's LJ as, erm, Silverstar? Does this mean we can cajole you into the BwB LJ community, where we have virtual cookies and much snark? :P

Surprisingly enough, yes. I just haven't got around to friending many people on LJ cuz I only really use it for commenting on GRRM's posts, but add me, by all means :)

Actually, the photo of Tamzin Merchant and Amok's painting of her that you posted on your blog are actually shockingly close, too.

In that case I suspect it wont be long until someone decries that picture as fucking ugly too ...

I'm now wondering whether any of the other ex tudor cast members might turn up. It would make sense as they are going to filming in the same place and there may be some crossover between production teams. The guy who played Cromwell always felt like he was playing a littelfinger style role and has a look of Rowan Atkinson about him. I still don't think he'd fit that role though but maybe as one of the other cast?

The guy who played Cromwell always felt like he was playing a littelfinger style role and has a look of Rowan Atkinson about him. I still don't think he'd fit that role though but maybe as one of the other cast?

James Frain - he's a terrific character actor. I saw him in Pinter's "The Homecoming" on Broadway about a year ago and he was amazing (so was everyone else, including Ian McShane). There could be a number of roles for him, but I suspect he might want to try and do something far afield from the Cromwell/Littlefinger type.

Archived