New Casting Announcements

Stubby

Surely Alan van Sprang (his name always brings a smile to my face) has to be Euron if we were picking Tudors cast members?

Jonathan Rhys Meyers had the look of a Theon (in my head) but now I'm thinking he could make a good Loras/Renly. Personally they should probably steer well clear of JRM with regards to any cast members who undergo strong physical changes seeming as he apparently refused to wear a fat suit in tudors.

Really? Hmm. That kind of attitude sounds a bit unprofessional to me.

JRM used to be my number one pick for Theon as well. :D (Back when GoT wasn't even a glint in the HBO folks eyes.)

And I agree, van Sprang definitely looks like a Euron candidate.

Yes, I don't think they're likely to be juggling their schedule to get optimal "winter" conditions for the scenes in the North... I suppose they might have a secondary unit off in the Alps for the Frostfangs circa season 3, but for the first season, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I never thought of it, but yes, Alan van Sprang could play a very arch Euron indeed.

Just because it got "northern" in it's name, doesn't mean that it's far north. Belfast is about as far north as Kiel in northern Germany, and much more exposed to the ocean. I live much further north (more than 5 degrees), but with similar exposure, and though we usually have snow at one point or another during the winter, you wouldn't be able put up a filming schedule that would guarantee snow.

Kiel has less snow than other parts in Germany like the Harz mountains, Erzgebirge or even the Thuringian Woods - and that doesn't count the Alpes. But none of them is 100% sure to have snow every winter.

In Scotland the Grampians stand the best chance for snow, and probably the north eastern highlands as well. The west coast is usually more rainy (pretty much like Bergen, lol) and Ireland always struck me as having a west coast climate with rather mild and wet winters.

I think if they want to do outdoor filming in snow, they need to be pretty flexible and fast to move where it actually is. :)

Let me tell you soemthing, there will not be snow in Belfast in October. Unless we get freak weather cycles.

Certainly not enough snow for the North. I think we've seen about 1 fall of heavy snow in the last 3 years. And it was all melted by the end of that day.

Jesus guys, I know that just because it has "north" in it's name doesn't mean it's gonna be cold, I'm not a child. Otherwise North Carolina would be as frigid as North Dakota...I asked because I looked at a map and it's on a parallel with the southern part of Hudson Bay, and far north of parts of the U.S. that get a lot of snow in winter - but even so there are always other factors (northern Atlantic currents and such).

How green is Greenland?

It was greener along the fringes when the Vikings settled there. :) They had to abandon the place in the 14th century because the weather patterns shifted to colder and there was no longer enough pasture for their sheep and cattle.

Jesus guys, I know that just because it has "north" in it's name doesn't mean it's gonna be cold, I'm not a child. Otherwise North Carolina would be as frigid as North Dakota...I asked because I looked at a map and it's on a parallel with the southern part of Hudson Bay, and far north of parts of the U.S. that get a lot of snow in winter - but even so there are always other factors (northern Atlantic currents and such).

There's that thing called Gulf Stream that influences the weather in Europe - especially the British Isles.

I was thinking that too, actually. Forest sets aren't all that unusual, for example, and the Paint Hall certainly seems sizable enough to support them.

On the other hand I would prefer if they could shoot as much as possible outdoors. It always look better with real nature. I am sure it would be possible to make a indoor set look natural. Movie magic is fantastic. It would just take so many more resources to make it look non-cheesy.

It should be possible to make outdoor scenes inside the painthall. What I have seen from the preparations for "Your Highness" it sure seams like they plan to do just that. They have crafted the front (not the inside) of castles and buildings in plaster. They have manufactured saddles for horses and camels. And so on.

But they must have planned some scenes to be shoot outdoors. Why else would Danys storyline have to be shoot in Morocco? My guess is that they will film everything north of the neck, in a artificial snow landscape inside the painthall. When they go south of the neck they can use the north irish nature for some shoots, and make some inside the painthall as they see fit.

I am confident scenes that take place indoors will be shoot in the painthall.

It would suck more to get three seasons and then get cancelled. Can you imagine if the very last thing we see of ASOIAF on screen is UnCat's eyes?

I, for one, will be fucking ecstatic if they film that far! Think of all the great stuff we'd see: Renly's murder. The Blackwater. The fall of Winterfell. "There are no men like me." The Red Wedding. Battle for the Wall. Joffrey's wedding and deading. "Only Cat." Zombies on the Fist of the First Men. etc etc etc

I, for one, will be fucking ecstatic if they film that far! Think of all the great stuff we'd see: Renly's murder. The Blackwater. The fall of Winterfell. "There are no men like me." The Red Wedding. Battle for the Wall. Joffrey's wedding and deading. "Only Cat." Zombies on the Fist of the First Men. etc etc etc

Oh, so will I. It'd just suck if the Red Wedding was the end of the final season, don't you think?

Oh, so will I. It'd just suck if the Red Wedding was the end of the final season, don't you think?

I actually thought Book 3 could have made a great ending to the books. The Red Wedding, Tommen on the throne, Tyrion kills Tywin. They could end the tv show there pretty satisfactorily, with a couple of changes. Perhaps Dany has a scene where she gives up going to Westeros, no UnCat, etc.

I bet all the people who are abusing the casting choices will have to eat their words when they see the show.

And this is really what it comes down to. As a poster has said already, once they apply Danys features, the whole lot of us will fall in love with her. This is panic over nothing, what a waste of time, shes going to be amazing.

Statement of Policy

Aug. 22nd, 2009 at 2:40 PM

My posts about the recent castings have drawn plenty of comments, which is great.

But they have also brought out the trolls... or, to give some of them the benefit of the doubt, some thoughtless and rude posters.

I don't mind readers posting their opinions, even critical opinions. But I do expect posters to show a certain amount of respect. Gratuitously nasty or insulting posts directed at the actors or producers of the HBO series will be deleted, just as if they were nasty or insulting posts directed at me. Ditto attacks on other posters. Disagree or criticize as you like, but be civilized about it. "X does not look the character in the books" is fine, but "X looks like a horse's rump and makes me want to vomit" is not. Ty is still screening all the comments and will continue to do so. Posts that go beyond the pale will never be posted, and repeat offenses will get you banned.

This, of course, applies to less than one post in a hundred, of course. Most of you are great. But regardless of what goes on elsewhere, a certain tone will be observed on Not A Blog.

Thank you.

Mood: annoyed

People are even trolling on George's blog. It amazes me with all the crap that is going on in the world people get angry and caught up in casting for a tv show. :rolleyes: Even though it is an awesome tv show. :wideeyed:

Please God, not Alan van Sprang. I watched the first episode of S3 and he was bloody terrible, especially compared to the other actors around. Terrible delivery of lines (especially when he's threatening to smash in Mary's head like a bruised apple, which was delivered in a rather unimpressive manner) :pirate:

I noted with interest that Tamzin Merchant is in the opening titles (the images, not the credits), which I thought was a bit odd given she doesn't show up until the final episode.

Oh yeah, to anyone still moaning about the production, things could be so much worse. Current rumour is that Chris 'Fast and the Furious' Morgan is writing the Wheel of Time movie. This does not fill me with confidence that that project is going to be good.

Please God, not Alan van Sprang. I watched the first episode of S3 and he was bloody terrible, especially compared to the other actors around. Terrible delivery of lines (especially when he's threatening to smash in Mary's head like a bruised apple, which was delivered in a rather unimpressive manner) :pirate:

I agree. Just because he wears an eye-patch doesn't mean he's suited to the part. Personally I reckon he'd make a good Ser Allister Thorne.

Archived