Fashion Faux Pas You Have Seen Recently

Mlle. Zabzie

Ahhh, I've been waiting for a thread like this one. Because there is one thing that I don't get at all. It's the reappearance of the most dreadful, fugly type of hair-cut. The mullet. Yes, apparently, it has somehow hibernated through the 90's only to come back amongst the local chavs with a vengeance. It's so terrible, I don't even know where to look! Also, they like to combine it D&G Sunglasses and beard that look like they've drawn them with kohl. :ack:

Is there no sense of dignity left amonst these people? How can you leave the house with a motherfucking mullet on your head??

No. Anyone who wears his or her hair in a mullet, even ironically, has no sense of dignity, and probably never did.

Guest Raidne
There are invisible blister pads????? How did I not know about these? How are they different from bandaids? I'm totally going to have to check these out.

They are a recent discovery for me as well. There might be non-generics, I have no idea, but mine are CVS pharmacy's "advanced healing blister care." If you have a blister, stick the blister pad over it and you're pretty much good to go. Also, I have shoes, sandals especially, that tend to rub one spot on my foot the wrong way, so I just put one of these pads on that spot before anything happens, and I'm good to go. Doesn't matter if it's part of a skinny strap, because they really are pretty much invisible. They're like a solid mass of slightly flesh toned clear solid but gummy substance that's sticky on one side.

Alas, the only thing they are not good for is that blister on the top of your heel when you're breaking in flats - the friction is too much for them and the shoe catches the edge and makes it ball up and fall off. For this, you just need heel pads for your shoes. Stick 'em in there until they break in enough, and then peel them out.

Alas, the only thing they are not good for is that blister on the top of your heel when you're breaking in flats - the friction is too much for them and the shoe catches the edge and makes it ball up and fall off. For this, you just need heel pads for your shoes. Stick 'em in there until they break in enough, and then peel them out.

I was breaking in some flats yesterday and they were killing my heel. Sometimes I will just put some scotch tape on that area. Looks a little weird, but it helps keep the shoe from rubbing my heel raw.

Guest Raidne

Lately in the fashion mags I've seen a lot of knee socks with slightly shorter boots. That was a widespread thing in Texas a year or so ago. Sometimes it looks okay, and sometimes ridiculous, and I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it.

When I started the job I have now, I went by the employee handbook dress code for my first client visit to a power utility. I wore a suit and heels.

The jacket got ditched first thing, but I was still noticeably twice as dressed up as anyone else. My client and coworker made fun of me, and told me that next time I should just go ahead and dress like an engineer.

I did not witness anyone wearing it, but while shopping last weekend I saw a purple short-shorts jumpsuit with a zipper that not quite, but pretty much went all the way down & around. Actually considered purchasing it just for the sake of amusing myself.

4. Triathalon, the Hamptons, elite competitor: bright red thong and nothing else. Parents covered children's eyes.

Male or female? It matters for the visual in my head.

But, for the most part, D.C.'s not bad. I've got to go to Virginia to witness the truly awful.

what? :)

Guest Raidne
what? :)

Well, to be fair, Virginia is more guilty of the kind of fashion faux pas you would see in Texas - dude's in tucked in shirts that are waaaay too big, with baseball caps, and flip-flops, etc.

D.C., on the other hand, is more guilty what I see outside of this club Josephine's on the weekends where my husband likes to count how many of these girls waiting in line would pass the junk test, i.e. if they were dudes, are their dresses so short that their junk would be hanging out? We're at about a 50% ratio. Ladies, this is what tights and leggings are for. The bartender at a dive bar across the street just calls it playing the "hooker or club girl" game. He also thought it was important to insist that despite all appearances, they are not, generally speaking, easy. The club girls, I mean. Well, I suppose the hookers either, since you have to part with your hard-earned cash. Hmmm...that got a little off subject.

heh, all I see in the taxi is fashion faux pas. fashion horrorshows would be a better term. I'll take some notes today so I can relate them to y'all. I'll try to limit them to the subset of people who are trying to be trendy but instead look ridiculous.

Raids, I hear you on the short skirts showing the coochie. It's de rigeur in Scottsdale on a Saturday night.

I tend to wear shorts a lot in July and August since it's about the only time I can. Rest assured, however, they are not excessively short, my shirts are neither over-sized nor tucked in, and I wear decent flip-flops or shoes with sport socks.

I cannot figure out why anyone would wear t-shirts tucked into any kind of pants let alone shorts. It just looks ridiculous, though I suppose middle-aged guys can pull it off (since it's at least expected for them in tourist contexts). I have a friend who used to be into the solid colour t-shirt tucked into khaki shorts thing... I hope he hasn't be doing that this summer!

Well, to be fair, Virginia is more guilty of the kind of fashion faux pas you would see in Texas - dude's in tucked in shirts that are waaaay too big, with baseball caps, and flip-flops, etc.

D.C., on the other hand, is more guilty what I see outside of this club Josephine's on the weekends where my husband likes to count how many of these girls waiting in line would pass the junk test, i.e. if they were dudes, are their dresses so short that their junk would be hanging out? We're at about a 50% ratio. Ladies, this is what tights and leggings are for. The bartender at a dive bar across the street just calls it playing the "hooker or club girl" game. He also thought it was important to insist that despite all appearances, they are not, generally speaking, easy. The club girls, I mean. Well, I suppose the hookers either, since you have to part with your hard-earned cash. Hmmm...that got a little off subject.

When I was still in school, I saw girls like that downtown all the time, even in the dead of winter! Let me tell you, it gets cold up in New York. The best part is that half of them also can't walk the in the ridiculous heels they're wearing. I have a rule: if I can't walk properly in it, I shouldn't wear it no matter how cute it may be.

I'm glad I work in academia where nobody really gives a shit how people are dressed. I think this fairly often while standing on the platform waiting for my train in the morning - surrounded by high heels and overstyled hair.

Not fussed about the 'fashion' side of things tbh. I'm more likely to be judgemental about whether people wear appropriate clothing for their own body, for instance:

-high heels you can't walk in

-bra that you clearly DO NOT fit into

-top so short that your flabby belly sticks out the bottom (nothing wrong with not having a flat stomach, just have the decency to cover it with clothing)

-outfit that might have been a good look for you when you were 20 years younger

The thing that really gets to me - why don't people remove the labels from the soles of their shoes before wearing them nowadays? It's becoming more and more common. :unsure:

Guest Raidne

Featured in the Washington Post Style section today, a shot of supposedly well-dressed people on the street with a short interview about their personal style that includes a woman wearing a black dress with a brown leather belt and brown purse.

Every single day I thank every god that may be listening that I work somewhere that doesn't just allow, but practically requires very casual dress. A typical work outfit for me would be trainers, white socks, tracksuit bottoms and a plain t-shirt (either white, grey or black). Out of work I'll probably change the tracksuit bottoms for either cargoes or shorts. Hows that for a fashion faux pas.

Archived