AussieCon 4

felice

Hi Parris, your holiday plans sound great. It'll be so good to meet you and George. As for the Moreton Bay Bugs - yummmm! I think they're available year round, but as they're caught mostly in Queensland waters I'm not sure how easy they'll be to find in Melbourne! But I suppose that's the point of the quest!!

I've never actually had a pie floater, but pie and mushy pies is the bomb. Preferably from Harry's Cafe de Wheels, but I think that's only in Sydney!

Pie Floatas/ers are mainly a South Australian thing and yeah they are great but no bloody way would I go driving around adelaide with a bowl of hot soup in my lap the roads are rubbish.

I believe something could be worked out in melbourne though. Also Melbourne is one the best cities in the world for food variety etc so seriously if you cannot find it in melbourne then you probably don't want it.

• 2 months later...

As a long-time lurker and occasional poster here at Westeros, I've often felt the urge to join the brotherhood...

So how do I sign up to be a bannerless brother???

Azmure, you are already in the Brotherhood Without Banners by being a member of this forum. Technically the BwB and the Westeros Forum are two different things, but in practice, it's all the same. So, welcome to the BwB as of like 4 years ago :)

Speaking of AussieCon and WorldCons in general:

There's video clips from this year's SMOFCon Fannish Inquisition up on YouTube. Here's a link that will lead you to the AussieCon presentation, and from there you can find links to clips for presentations on Renovation and upcoming bids and announcements:

A membership in an upcoming WorldCon or supporting a bid makes a great belated holiday gift for fans of all ages.

If you've friends in Australia or New Zealand, or in the American West who like SF/F but have never been to a WorldCon, or haven't been to a con in years, send them some links and invite them to join us in 2010 or 2011 at the family reunion, we'd love to have them be part of the celebrations.

The AussieCon report includes information on hotel reservations, site layout and how plans for the Art Show are developing. There's a couple of interesting bid announcements for prospective WorldCons in years ahead, and it's nice to see the folks who do so much to create and run the WorldCons where we gather to celebrate the fannish way and honor the best of the genre's many offerings every year.

• 2 weeks later...

Azmure, you are already in the Brotherhood Without Banners by being a member of this forum. Technically the BwB and the Westeros Forum are two different things, but in practice, it's all the same. So, welcome to the BwB as of like 4 years ago :)

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

I don't get to post much here any more, but I do pop by whenever possible. It's a great fan community, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the dedicated GRRM fans who frequent the board (and of course the man himself).

• 3 weeks later...

Leave approved. Accommodation booked. Well, kind of. The Hilton South Wharf (which is attached to the Convention Centre) had a special for the Fri/Sat/Sun nights but I wasn't able to book any extra nights for a cheaper rate, they charge you premium rates for a longer stay and won't allow you to book back-to-back specials! Anyway, I'm half-way there!! :)

It seems like you have to buy the membership to get entry. I thought they would have different pricings if you could only attend 1 or 2 days or something like that. Is that how it works at other cons?

Leave approved. Accommodation booked. Well, kind of. The Hilton South Wharf (which is attached to the Convention Centre) had a special for the Fri/Sat/Sun nights but I wasn't able to book any extra nights for a cheaper rate, they charge you premium rates for a longer stay and won't allow you to book back-to-back specials! Anyway, I'm half-way there!! smile.gif

It seems like you have to buy the membership to get entry. I thought they would have different pricings if you could only attend 1 or 2 days or something like that. Is that how it works at other cons?

There should be less expensive rooms available through the Worldcon site at some stage. Presumably soon. Normally that is arranged early in the year.

And closer to the con, there is normally 1 day passes available. Maybe weekend passes too. I can't remember.

I hope they have some kind of day passes, that would be great. The youtube presentation that Parris linked to just said that accommodation would be announced mid-January, but I think they're still finalising things.

My cynical side wonders how cheap the world-con rates will be, as in my experience from work conferences, you can often get a cheaper rate than the 'conference rate' at the same hotel. And if you don't mind walking a couple of minutes, there's always much better deals at hotels nearby.

The good thing is that Worldcon does arrange for a number of hotels at different price ranges. So it gives people options. The main hotel can be useful because it will be where the parties are at.

I believe the con rate is normally very good but if you plan well enough, it could be beatable.

Time to announce that I will be attending Worldcon this year :D

I have booked time off work from 23 August - 8 September.

I have not booked flights yet since I am not entirely sure where I want to go on which dates yet. Will definitely spend a few days in Sydney and a few days in Melbourne before the con. I will definitely be flying out of Melbourne on Monday 6 September, late evening so I get the full day there. But other than that my plans are kind of flexible.

I would like to meet up with some other boarders out there, maybe go roving about the country a bit, see some of the nature Oz is famous for (although not too close to the deadly wildlife ya know ;) ).

So is anyone else from Europe/US thinking about flying over and possibly interested in something like that? Any of the Aussie contingent up for some roving? Where are all the Aussies btw, not many signed up as attending yet by the judge of this thread. It will be good to meet up with the Stubbies again, glad you will be there :thumbsup:

Malt - which dates are you going to be in Australia and NZ?

Ah you are having the majority of your holiday post con, rather than pre con. Oh well, I guess we will at least both be in Melbourne for a few days before the con which will be good.

I decided after the last Worldcon that I would prefer to go straight home after the con because I found that I wanted to be on the board reading everyone's reports and getting started on mine rather than 100% enjoying the rest of my holiday. Weird I know.

First time I've really looked into who will actually be attending this thing. Looks like a few peoples. I'm not so close to Melbourne this year but 1000km or so North isn't so far a distance to be out of the question. A schedule check for the year may be in order.

For anyone considering be sure to actually spend some time relaxing and enjoying all that Melbourne has to offer, it's a pretty fantastic city all things considered and I rate it above any other in Australia despite it not having the opera house/harbour bridge cliche thing going on.

• 3 weeks later...

So, Ser Stubby, we've got a year to increase the numbers of Aussie Bros to a group large enough to host the obligatory parties, and gather up some newbies to got out and search for hump of camel or whatever in the middle of the night at George's command. (Would September be in season for Morton Bay Bugs?)

Morton Bay Bugs are in season all year round, although the availability peaks in the autumn. Will probably be able to find some around, I would think. No camels, though :->

Archived