Actresses who could pass for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Twin

quigon87

Hopefully they will find some physically perfect, naturally gifted, brilliant and completely random no-name for the part of Cersei. I don't think we need anymore 'names'.

I doubt we'll get a complete no-name. Realistically, we'll get someone like Keeley Hawes in the role - a BBC regular with plenty of experience who may already have few lead roles under her belt, but with little to no name recognition outside of England (and who inspire an outcry in fanboys everywhere for not being hot enough). That or some continental actress with a long filmography in her native language and one or two smaller English roles, and little to no name recognition outside of her country and arthouse circles (cue fanboy outcry once more).

I think Kruger goes a little past the line of "too big a name" for a role like Cersei in AGOT, especially if Basterds does well. I'm not familiar with much of her work but Troy and National Treasure 1 didn't exactly impress. I'm seeing Basterds today so I'll re-evaluate afterwards.

Add Wicker Park to her not-exactly-impressive list. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be rooting for Rose Byrne's manipulative character over Diane Kruger's to get the guy in that movie. I'll see if the pattern holds up when Inglorious Basterds opens over here, I guess.

I don't think Kruger getting cast is completely out of the question because she's already got the Troy connection to Benioff. I don't think she's ever done TV however so I'd file it under highly unlikely.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm262248448/nm1738172

I'm a bit cold on Diane Kruger for Cersei because, as fitheach says, she's not that good actress. To be fair, the bland generic girlfriend/object of desire roles I've seen her in don't offer much to work with, but she lacks watchability. I suppose it's possible she'd actually breathe some life into her acting if she played a villain but I'm not keen on her. That said, she's perfect lookswise for Cersei.

I like Radha Mitchell for the role. She's a good actress, and she favours NCW a fair bit, I reckon. She's also got a lower profile than Kruger, who's going to get even more unattainable if Inglorious Basterds is a success.

Neither actresses fit the image envisaged when I first read of Cersei, but EITHER would be great as both would be more than passable siblings to NCW. I would love to have either, especially after the Tamzin Merchant casting.

On another note, here is a kid that would make a great Joffrey born of a union between NCW and Mitchell/Kruger. :D

Hopefully they will find some physically perfect, naturally gifted, brilliant and completely random no-name for the part of Cersei. I don't think we need anymore 'names'.

'We' might not need more 'names', but the series as a TV product needs them badly to succeed in the tough game of ratings.

While neither Diane Kruger nor Radha Mitchell (both of whom I suggested for the role of Cersei in other threads) are ideal choices, they have the looks and are decent actresses. I don't think Kruger would be interested in a long TV stint, but when I saw some of the magazine covers Kruger did to promote Basterds, I was quite intrigued by her attempts to go for a less bland, more aggressive image.

Based on Indigo Cloak's link about Kruger, it doesn't sound like she's looking to do anything like this anytime soon. She just moved to Vancouver to be with her long-term boyfriend who shoots "Fringe" there (I really thought the show was shot in Boston...).

We’ve found a good balance. We try not to be apart for more than two weeks at a time. Now I’m ready to take a break — and, so far, it’s really worked.

Realistically, we'll get someone like Keeley Hawes in the role

I would love to see Keeley Hawes as Cersei. Someone suggested her way back and I have long thought she'd be great (perhaps ideal), but she will be shooting Season 3 of "Ashes To Ashes" at the same time the pilot shoots, so she's an impossibility.

I don't think Kruger getting cast is completely out of the question because she's already got the Troy connection to Benioff. I don't think she's ever done TV however so I'd file it under highly unlikely.

There really is no connection between a screenwriter and an actor on a movie, usually. Once the writer sells the script and does rewrites, that's usually it. Only possibility is if he was on set doing rewrites, but even then it's not the same as actors working with directors or even producers.

'We' might not need more 'names', but the series as a TV product needs them badly to succeed in the tough game of ratings.

While neither Diane Kruger nor Radha Mitchell (both of whom I suggested for the role of Cersei in other threads) are ideal choices, they have the looks and are decent actresses. I don't think Kruger would be interested in a long TV stint, but when I saw some of the magazine covers Kruger did to promote Basterds, I was quite intrigued by her attempts to go for a less bland, more aggressive image.

Do we really need big names?

We've got Sean Bean for a season, and if people aren't hooked in by then, they're probably not going to be hooked in by another 'name' or two. Ehle and Dinklage are known, even if they're not huge star names. Merchant is recognisable from the Tudors.

I think if we get another star name, all well and good, but I don't know that we necessarily need one. Could of course be wrong though.

Do we really need big names?

We've got Sean Bean for a season, and if people aren't hooked in by then, they're probably not going to be hooked in by another 'name' or two. Ehle and Dinklage are known, even if they're not huge star names. Merchant is recognisable from the Tudors.

I think if we get another star name, all well and good, but I don't know that we necessarily need one. Could of course be wrong though.

The word 'we' makes me a bit uncomfortable, maybe because I read the WIC blog too regularly and the amount of mindless bashing of actors and especially actresses there (and not only there) is really embarassing and discourages me from identifying with the 'we' crowd. But that's my usual problem with fandoms.

But I think 'we' can agree that, generally speaking, fans' agendas are rarely identical with TV producers' agendas. This series is a risky venture, both artistically and commercially. Therefore, it needs a well drawn-up, long-term promotional strategy to attract nonfans and prolong the excitement. Dinklage, Bean, and Ehle are B-listers at best, in Hollyweird terms. My impression is that casting Dinklage and Bean helped drew quite a lot of attention from the mainstream media, but the subsequent casting decisions weren't that heavily reported. It certainly wouldn't hurt to employ more star names, even film A-listers, provided they are talented and fit the respective parts. The part of Cersei would, of course, require a long commitment from the prospective actress, but there are roles in AGoT for which the workload and the number of seasons wouldn't be an issue even for actors with healthy film careers.

Ok, so I'm the only person who doesn't think she sounds British or American. Ignore me, then! :P

I've only ever seen her in Troy and her accent was quite pronounced there, so I was in the same boat ;)

But, distressingly, Troy was six years ago now :stunned: and she's apparently worked out her accent issues since then.

The word 'we' makes me a bit uncomfortable, maybe because I read the WIC blog too regularly and the amount of mindless bashing of actors and especially actresses there (and not only there) is really embarassing and discourages me from identifying with the 'we' crowd. But that's my usual problem with fandoms.

But I think 'we' can agree that, generally speaking, fans' agendas are rarely identical with TV producers' agendas. This series is a risky venture, both artistically and commercially. Therefore, it needs a well drawn-up, long-term promotional strategy to attract nonfans and prolong the excitement. Dinklage, Bean, and Ehle are B-listers at best, in Hollyweird terms. My impression is that casting Dinklage and Bean helped drew quite a lot of attention from the mainstream media, but the subsequent casting decisions weren't that heavily reported. It certainly wouldn't hurt to employ more star names, even film A-listers, provided they are talented and fit the respective parts. The part of Cersei would, of course, require a long commitment from the prospective actress, but there are roles in AGoT for which the workload and the number of seasons wouldn't be an issue even for actors with healthy film careers.

It isn't really HBO's style to go for A-listers and big names though. Lots of hey-it's-that-guy character actors and relative unknowns but I can't think of any particularly big names they've cast in their most successful shows. HBO seems to have positioned itself as the home of quality over star-vehicles. I understand what you're saying about generating buzz for the show to stay on the air but doing it through flashy A-list appearances seems contrary to the whole "brand" of HBO, as it were.

Another thing to consider is that A-listers are going to have A-list salaries. This isn't going to be a cheap production and who knows how much they're already paying Sean Bean? Why pay so much more for a name to play Cersei when there are just-as-capable lesser-knowns out there, especially since

SPOILER: spoilery spoiler stuff
unlike Bean, she's going to be around for multiple seasons.

I've only ever seen her in Troy and her accent was quite pronounced there, so I was in the same boat ;)

But, distressingly, Troy was six years ago now :stunned: and she's apparently worked out her accent issues since then.

Her character in National Treasure straight-up had a German accent in story for some weird character-centered reason. I would guess the only reason they would give a German accent to a character working at the place where the Declaration of Independence is housed is because they wanted Kruger's hotness factor pretty bad and she couldn't hide the accent. I just saw Basterds and she obviously had an accent there considering her role. I haven't seen any of her other work as far as I can remember.

On Basterds, she does a good job, imo. I saw a lot of what would be charming Cersei. Not so much hyper-bitch Cersei. But whatever she did, and she had some meat to chew on, was good. If she is cast, I wouldn't be up in arms.

Edited for:

On A-listers in HBO shows: just off the top of my head,

Sopranos - no A-listers I can remember. Many people probably recognized Imperioli for Goodfellas more than Gandolfini for anything he'd done.

Six Feet Under - no A-listers, definitely.

The Wire - definitely none but no one watched this

Sex and the City - can't call any of the four A-listers

Big Love - Paxton and all of his wives are not A-list.

Entourage - none

Maybe I'm just not remembering well, but didn't Kruger play Helen in Troy with an American accent? Not sure if she has a british accent in her repertoire or not - I think everyone in the show is supposed to speak in at least Mid Atlantic, if not some sort of class-appropriate British accent. Also, I saw her on Letterman and her accent was so slight as to barely be noticeable at all.

She lived in London when she was a Ballerina, so she could possibly do one. The only reson NCW wasn't my fist choice but second as Jaime was that I don't know if he can do a British accent, even his American accent is a tad off. One of the reasons why I put them together (besides looking alike) is that maybe the Lannisters could have a slight Tutonic lilt to their British accents, as if the region they're from sounds that way. Question is, could Peter Dinklage and whoever plays dear old pop sound the same...

She was good in Inglorious Basterds huh? Maybe there's hope, and maybe she'd relish the idea of playing a total bitch- couldn't hurt her career and she would get out of being typecasted.

I wouldn't call her A-list yet, but if she gets alot of praise for IB she's on her way.

If anyone is interested in that, notice that Diane Krüger (that's how her name is supposed to be written, if she would have stayed true to the strange customs of her home country) also has an american/english accent when she speaks German, as I heard during the german-synchronized version of 'Inglorious Basterds' last week.

She might make a nice Cersei, but I would prefer Tricia Helfer. She is a fresh face, not that well-known, and rather tall, so her interaction with Dinklage would be fun.

Her character in National Treasure straight-up had a German accent in story for some weird character-centered reason. I would guess the only reason they would give a German accent to a character working at the place where the Declaration of Independence is housed is because they wanted Kruger's hotness factor pretty bad and she couldn't hide the accent. I just saw Basterds and she obviously had an accent there considering her role. I haven't seen any of her other work as far as I can remember.

On Basterds, she does a good job, imo. I saw a lot of what would be charming Cersei. Not so much hyper-bitch Cersei. But whatever she did, and she had some meat to chew on, was good. If she is cast, I wouldn't be up in arms.

Edited for:

On A-listers in HBO shows: just off the top of my head,

Sopranos - no A-listers I can remember. Many people probably recognized Imperioli for Goodfellas more than Gandolfini for anything he'd done.

Entourage - none

Rome: no A-listers but Purefoy was B-list at least

It isn't really HBO's style to go for A-listers and big names though.

You're right. I didn't take this argument into account.

Why pay so much more for a name to play Cersei when there are just-as-capable lesser-knowns out there...

A 35-40 year old actress: talented, capable of playing a bitchy character with a personality split convincingly, beautiful, oozing sex. Not many actresses meet all those criteria. Logically, she would have already made herself known. :)

But to answer your question, if the Cersei actress generates bigger buzz than Bean et al., we're talking about money very well spent. I'm not saying it's necessary to employ A-listers to play Cersei and other characters. I'm saying it could be beneficial in terms of money and prestige.

It would also get HBOs expectations up even more and if the show doesn't meet with them, it would be a bad thing, obviously.

Also - The actor they needed for Jaime were in many ways the same type as the actress needed for Cersei. Hot, diverse actor, 30's.... And assuming he is the right guy for the part, theres seems to be no need for a bigger name actress for Cersei.

Would be exiting, though....

Rome: no A-listers but Purefoy was B-list at least

I purposely left off Deadwood and Rome. I believe those shows were cancelled in some fashion. That could be used to argue they might have succeeded if they had A-listers. (Really, the reason was cost iirc)

I purposely left off Deadwood and Rome. I believe those shows were cancelled in some fashion. That could be used to argue they might have succeeded if they had A-listers. (Really, the reason was cost iirc)

Rome was due to cost. But I think HBO is more aware of the value of DVD sales now. It's possible they may have done things differently if they had to do it over. :dunno:

Deadwood was due to cost and David Milch being a dickhead. IIRC, it was either Deadwood or John From Cincinnati, and well... I don't think we'll see GRRM having to choose between season 4 of Game or Tuf Voyaging and thinking "yeah, I'm gonna dump Game for Tuf."

Entourage - none

Sopranos had Buscemi.

Six Feet Under had the tall scary old guy whose name I can't remember, he was in The Green Mile and The Longest Yard (remake).

Entourage had, and still has, a metric fuckton of famous cameos.

EDIT- GRRM might want to go back to Tuf and forsake all of us here, if only to fuck with our heads.

And Deadwood had wotsisname from XMen 2 and Manhunter. Brian Cox. Or was that a different show?

Archived