Scenes that fill you with trepidation

Oh you guys are GOOD. Totally already mentioned a lot of the scenes I was going to mention! Here are the scenes I am worried about how HBO will pull off:

1. Bran's falling dream. Yes, totally totally totally cheesy if done wrong. I can just picture the fake blue with white clouds and Bran suspended with lots of wind. Hopefully I am imagining it wrong.

2. The Viserys gelding. How are they going to pull that one off? Pouring hot gold over him so his face melts off and he dies? Yikes.

3. The breast feeding scene. Enough said.

4. The Other hand that comes alive and tries to kill everyone. Could look very Munsters-ish.

5. Anything with the direwolves. Please please please use real wolves. I hate computer generated animals. Has anyone seen the previews for the next Twilight movie? They look so cheesy since some of the characters turn into Werewolves. And the computer generated werewolves are CHEESY.

Ummmm I need to think on the others. I just want to say that it's not the scene itself that I am worried about. There aren't really any scenes in the books that I don't like. I'm just nervous to see how they will turn out.

~ Jane

Dany in Qarth indeed.

Now I don't understand why some wouldn't want to see Tyrion having sex, afterall Tyrion's character revolves around sex and whores.

What I'm dreading is the Erye. Scared that too much CG might kill the serie . I prefer they use very little CG and lots of tricks like in lotro instead of going ...seeker's route ;)

For Bran's dream chapter, he could always just describe it to Luwin or Robb. If his dream falling is shown, I def hope it's abbreviated.

It seems very likely that we'll get some dwarf sex, or at least implied dwarf sex. I doubt there'll be any full frontal anytime soon though (like actually showing his member when Sansa's inner monologue is describing it), but how can you not have some of the scenes with Shae?

I don't know if things like the Quartheen women going half-topless or the nursing dragons will make muster or not. I would guess not, but you never know. Don't forget, those of us on the board, and the series readership in general, better make up a MINORITY of the show's viewership (at least initially), or the series is doomed. If something is maybe a little too weird or odd for the general HBO viewership, it's going to get cut. Yes, I'm aware that the "general HBO viewership" is far less sensitive than the general public, but still, I find it hard to believe that every scene will be shown as depicted in the books.

Bah, much ado about nothing. I think you can alude to something without hitting someone over the head with it.

If Dany walks out of the flames, naked, with billowing smoke all around (stragetically placed) and three dragons draped over her shoulders and arms, that's good enough for me. I don't think they need to be "suckling" necessarily.

And in Qarth, maybe they have a gossamer-thin, basically see-through strip of fabric across her otherwise-exposed breast instead, showing a bit when the light hits it right. Again, to me, that's just fine.

Gratuitous nudity is nothing new to period pieces on HBO(Rome, Deadwood, etc). I have no doubt we will see a fully nude Tamzin Merchant at least once in the first season and a fully nude Peter Dinklage at some point. And we will see many a bare breast in Qarth. I can also see dragon hatchlings suckling at Dany's breasts. It's this kind of unconventional boldness that HBO is know for and it's this kind of boldness that generates buzz around the watercooler. "Holy crap! Did you see Game of Thrones last night? It was completely bat-shit insane!"

That's what the show needs.

Well, if we're gonna get gratuitious nudity, let me jump on the bandwagon and state for the record: Irri and Jiqui!!!!

Gratuitous nudity is nothing new to period pieces on HBO(Rome, Deadwood, etc). I have no doubt we will see a fully nude Tamzin Merchant at least once in the first season and a fully nude Peter Dinklage at some point. And we will see many a bare breast in Qarth. I can also see dragon hatchlings suckling at Dany's breasts. It's this kind of unconventional boldness that HBO is know for and it's this kind of boldness that generates buzz around the watercooler. "Holy crap! Did you see Game of Thrones last night? It was completely bat-shit insane!"

That's what the show needs.

I am stuck at the delivery of "the things I do for love - push" moment. It comes across as about the most difficult single line of season 1. It´s not like it can be said with and evil smile and/or a deep Vader breathing, and it´s not like it can be said with teary eyes. It needs the exact amount of perfection to work.

Guess I will have to close my eyes.

I picture it like this:

JAIME: *sets Bran on windowsill with detached bemusement*

bit of dialogue with Bran in which Jaime is charming and (reasonably) friendly, obviously finds the whole situation hilarious, while Cersei stands behind him staring daggers at his back

CERSEI: *clears throat*

J: *glances over nonchalantly*

C: *stares*

J: *still smiling, raises eyebrow*

C: *look of "well, get on with it"*

J: *shrugs, turns back* says the line to Bran as if it explains everything

*shove*

I picture it like this:

JAIME: *sets Bran on windowsill with detached bemusement*

bit of dialogue with Bran in which Jaime is charming and (reasonably) friendly, obviously finds the whole situation hilarious, while Cersei stands behind him staring daggers at his back

CERSEI: *clears throat*

J: *glances over nonchalantly*

C: *stares*

J: *still smiling, raises eyebrow*

C: *look of "well, get on with it"*

J: *shrugs, turns back* says the line to Bran as if it explains everything

*shove*

While that would be absolutely hilarious, its really not how I remember the scene going. A friend of mine lost the first two books I leant him so I don't have them with me now, but I remember Jaime saying that line in a really disgusted tone of voice, absolutely hating what he was doing. And I definately remember Jaime remembering Cercei being very angry at him for throwing Bran out the window in ASOS, as I just reread it recently. So it doesn't fit the book, but I do think that would be a very funny way of doing things. Funny, unfortunately, is not what that scene needs to be.

So it doesn't fit the book, but I do think that would be a very funny way of doing things. Funny, unfortunately, is not what that scene needs to be.
You're right of course, I was really trying to express three ideas with as little dialogue as possible.

1. Jaime is far less afraid of being discovered so he takes it less seriously. Which he clearly is, he's the best sword in Westeros and he knows it. And IIRC his internal monologue states that if he had his way they'd run off together and never look back.

2. The twins communicating nonverbally. No real book basis, just seemed appropriate

3. Jaime is jaded as hell, he's also extremely clever. His choices at that moment are kill the kid or be found out. Him, he'd take his chances fighting his way out of Winterfell, but Cersei's not going to have any of that. So if you're going to kill a kid who likes to climb castle walls, the best way to do it and not get caught is to chuck him out a window.

People tend to read the scene as having happened with the exact nonchalant-ness suggested above, when it was anything but. The exact word used in the book it "loathing".

That's also the word used in the script. :)

I agree, though, that Dornish's interpretation would be incredibly funny. :cheers:

Yeah, I think the scene would be fine
without
the breastfeeding dragons. :)

Personally, I'm a bit worried about the battles, because as we know they're not going to be able to go the "ridiculously fucking epic" LotR route. Hopefully they'll go in the
Braveheart
direction- intensely personal, close-up fighting with glimpses of frenzied killing on all sides. I think they'll be fine with some brief CGI showing the armies formed up, just to give a good idea of scale, and then go "personal" with it. It will save money and remain faithful to the books. [...]

After seeing District 9 I wouldn't be so sure. Going in I knew it was supposed to be a low-cost indy film; when I walked out I figured it had been finished up with some Peter Jackson funding and probably cost $100 million USD or so. Looked it up the next day and the total cost was estimated at $30 million, and the prawns were more believable than most of the LotR creatures to me. The price of believable CGI must have dropped like a falling lava bomb from the Valyrian caldera in the last 5 years.

sPh

While that would be absolutely hilarious, its really not how I remember the scene going. A friend of mine lost the first two books I leant him so I don't have them with me now, but I remember Jaime saying that line in a really disgusted tone of voice, absolutely hating what he was doing. And I definately remember Jaime remembering Cercei being very angry at him for throwing Bran out the window in ASOS, as I just reread it recently. So it doesn't fit the book, but I do think that would be a very funny way of doing things. Funny, unfortunately, is not what that scene needs to be.

GRRM gives us the scene direction in the book. It says he looks at Cersei with loathing, as he says the line. It shouldn't be nonchalant, because he wasn't nonchalant about it. He didn't want to do it, but thought Cersei wanted him to, and worried about Bran telling people what he'd seen.

I would also agree that things like the dress of Mereen can be changed slightly without having any impact on the story. Too much nudity would be a bad thing, because for some people, that's then what the whole show would be about.

A scene I worry about is when Jon flees to join up with Robb, and his NW brothers catch up with him. I imagine that scene where they all recite the NW oath, line by line, as something that could be irredeemably cheesy. It works on the page, but I have difficulties visualising it on the screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm im dreading the Breat feeding part however the dialog scenes and Dany being half naked in a town centre shouldn't actually be that bad i don't think if the rest of the poulation are doing this, if the camera for example did a quick pan of the city before centering on Dany they would get the idea that she's simply blending in. food for thought :read: and i think someone mentioned above (sorry forgot the name) that Bran was falling more like a sky diver i agree, i wouldn't know how to pull off that scene to be honest though it is one im dreading. another thing im dreading is the Others, how are they going to be shown?

I think slow-mo is the remedy for Bran's dream. Just an establishing shot, not too long- 2-3 seconds should do the trick- and the slow-mo will add grace and a dream like quality. Then cut to a close-up on his horrified face.

What's gonna be tricky will be the crow's voice. I hope they won't give him a high-pitched, "parroty" kind of voice (can you imagine- "FlyorDieeee....FlyorDieeee"). He should sound like a man. A wise and old man.

Archived