Scenes that fill you with trepidation

Dinklage has had sex scenes in Nip/Tuck and he pulled them off just fine, so i'm not worried about that at all.

What i think may come off cheesy is if they do they intro to the book and show the others kill that guy. It will immediately give the viewers the impression that Westeros is full of fanciful magic, alla LotR and Harry Potter, when it actually is more of a medieval world with very little magic.

I also can already picture Tyrions little flip off his perch when hes talking to one of the kids. A little flip and whistle music (tweety tweet!) is going to make me groan.

I have a feeling they wont even do much with the war scenes. Rome didnt and instead focused on the politics, which i think is the angle they want with Game of Thrones.

The scene that I'm worried about is Lysa breastfeeding Robert at the Eyrie. It's creepy enough on paper but actually seeing it ... :ack: No thanks.

Oh, you can be sure HBO will show that! Its so up their ally. But seriously, awkwardness aside, it does establish the strange relationship between Lysa and Robin.

I'm not being funny or anyithng, but has it occurred to anyone that when dealing with the bare boobies in scenes, all you need to do is an establishing long-shot to prove the character is topless, and then film them from the bare shoulders up for the rest of the dialogue?

I mean, I don't expect HBO will do that, because usually they're all about the nakedness, but if they felt the nudity was detracting from the drama, they could.

I agree with you. Nudity can be done tastefully. In fact the dragons might hide more of Dany than they reveal, and still get the mystic motherhood point across.

Dinklage has had sex scenes in Nip/Tuck and he pulled them off just fine, so i'm not worried about that at all.

What i think may come off cheesy is if they do they intro to the book and show the others kill that guy. It will immediately give the viewers the impression that Westeros is full of fanciful magic, alla LotR and Harry Potter, when it actually is more of a medieval world with very little magic.

I also can already picture Tyrions little flip off his perch when hes talking to one of the kids. A little flip and whistle music (tweety tweet!) is going to make me groan.

I have a feeling they wont even do much with the war scenes. Rome didnt and instead focused on the politics, which i think is the angle they want with Game of Thrones.

The Others are a little tricky, depending on how they're shown. As when I first read A Game of Thrones, I assumed there would be a lot more magic and otherworldly things, just based on the prologue. And while I enjoyed the prologue (to a point) I was pleasantly surprised when the story settled into its pace and style. After a while I completely forgot there was any magic at all in the world. Can the Others turn people off to the show? It's possible, but the sequence is so short I doubt it.

Oh, and Tyrion's "flip" was written out of the leaked script. It was more like a drunken THUD.

The Others are a little tricky, depending on how they're shown. As when I first read A Game of Thrones, I assumed there would be a lot more magic and otherworldly things, just based on the prologue. And while I enjoyed the prologue (to a point) I was pleasantly surprised when the story settled into its pace and style. After a while I completely forgot there was any magic at all in the world. Can the Others turn people off to the show? It's possible, but the sequence is so short I doubt it.

Oh, and Tyrion's "flip" was written out of the leaked script. It was more like a drunken THUD.

Maybe they wont show the Others completely, but give a glimpse here and there. The viewer will know that there's something wrong with them, but wont get the impression of sparkly magic but of terror.

This is what I'm hoping. :unsure:

Maybe they wont show the Others completely, but give a glimpse here and there. The viewer will know that there's something wrong with them, but wont get the impression of sparkly magic but of terror.

There had better not be any Twilight "sparkling" in this production. I would be seriously pissed.

Jonias Snow;

You've omitted an important part of the pyre scene, the one at the end where Ser Jorah and the last remnants of Drogo's khalasar fall to their knees before Dany and her newborn dragons and swear themselves to her.

Film the Others with the same sort of camerawork the lost people did for the smoke monster. It should work out fine, they did a pretty good job at making it creepy even when you didn't ever see it. Or small glimpses at start.

The Dany dragon scene you wrote is pretty impressive, but I'd rather it end with the camera panning out and showing the comet. Play some Oh shiiiit music, it'd be beautiful.

Oh, you can be sure HBO will show that! Its so up their ally. But seriously, awkwardness aside, it does establish the strange relationship between Lysa and Robin.

I don't think they would show that. I'm sure the parents of the child actor who has to play Robin will not want their kid breastfeeding with a strange woman... it's just completely inappropriate. Now they might be able to make it look like Robin is breastfeeding or do special effects or something. But I think you can establish that he is a spoiled brat without that gross scene.

Now they might be able to make it look like Robin is breastfeeding.

I'm sure that is what fitheach meant. Nobody is going to be actually breastfeeding.

I was watching a movie with Maggie Gyllenhaal called Away we Go very recently. She was breastfeeding a 6 year old or so. Or so we were made to believe.

I'm sure that is what fitheach meant. Nobody is going to be actually breastfeeding.

I was watching a movie with Maggie Gyllenhaal called Away we Go very recently. She was breastfeeding a 6 year old or so. Or so we were made to believe.

There was a similar scene in The Last Emperor, as well.

The scene when Jaime returns to King's Landing and has sex with Cersei who's having her periods at the time. :(
Which part is it that fills you with trepidation? Any sex scene? Twincest? The concept of menstruation? Or is it sexual intercourse during menstruation?

The fact that they have sex during her period doesn't really tell us anything that we don't already know about these characters anyway - and so can be easily dropped from the scene without taking anything away (that's if we even NEED to see the sex, at all). In the book it's only mentioned when Jaime wipes away the evidence with his sleeve afterwards - easy enough to do that on screen if they really wanted to.

As others have pointed out re.breastfeeding - you don't need to explicitly show something on screen for viewers to 'know' it has taken place.

I am stuck at the delivery of "the things I do for love - push" moment. It comes across as about the most difficult single line of season 1. It´s not like it can be said with and evil smile and/or a deep Vader breathing, and it´s not like it can be said with teary eyes. It needs the exact amount of perfection to work.

Guess I will have to close my eyes.

I was thinking Jamie was have angry,and have exasperated in that scene. If he could roll his eyes right after saying it I think it would be perfectly executed.

The scene just after Tyrion and Sansa's wedding.

Agreed - while I have no issues with watching Tyrion making love to Shae, a dwarf with a very well described woody laying next to a crying child is a bit too kinked. I want them to get the point of his kindness across, without the loving slow pan described in the scene.

I was thinking Jamie was have angry,and have exasperated in that scene. If he could roll his eyes right after saying it I think it would be perfectly executed.

I picture Jaime saying this in a slightly humorous way. Maybe a little exhale/snort through the nose and a little smile and an expression that says (wow, i almost can't believe i'm actually gonna do this). And then maybe pushing Bran rather lightly and non-agressive, like you would throw away some trash or something of little to no value.

Agreed - while I have no issues with watching Tyrion making love to Shae, a dwarf with a very well described woody laying next to a crying child is a bit too kinked. I want them to get the point of his kindness across, without the loving slow pan described in the scene.

I hope they don't make it too "nice" though. Ideally, they should have Tyrion looking rather serious and intent at first, making us wonder "He's not actually going to do it, is he...?"

Archived