What's Your Country?

I guess the point is this is the way it has been done for years and years and years. It's working, it's making them money. So why go to all the trouble of changing it? Especially when there hasn't been a successful business model based on this practice yet. You are basically asking HBO to potentially lose bucket loads of money if it fails. That wouldn't be good for the company and even worse for Game of Thrones (which will probably be their most expensive show and the first to go if they run into financial trouble).

So while I agree with you that it would be great if they could implement a service like this sooner rather than later, I just don't know if the risks are worth it. Not only for HBO and their bottom line, but for fans of Thrones as well.

And I'm sorry, but I still think that the spanish translation of ASOIAF sucks :whip: :D I will never get used to Matarreyes (not personal insult intended!! :P ), Altojardín, Invernalia, Desembarco del Rey... :o It was SO unnecessary to translate the names!

Sorry to go back there, but it´s such a sore point I can´t resist. Spanish copies do make for a very queer read for me, but I still think that good translation of names is both necesary (not doing it would leave most people at loss) and impossible. Even the best of translations will be OK/good, but it will never have the WOW factor of the original. Matarreyes is fine IMO, but Kingslayer is WOW, and I obviously had to go with the first one because the second was taken :). We are lucky enough to be able to read the originals, but I know people whose English is OK and who really suffered reading my English AFFC copy before the translation came out both because of medieval terms involved and because they could not recognize the places/people anymore.

To draw a paralel between books and series, I buy my OV books over at Amazon at american prices (british are more expensive right now :)), and they sell it oversees with 0 problems. No spanish editorial gets its panties in a twist when buying rights for the book because some 1000 units have already been bought by spanish geeks! Why any spanish channel should worry that HBO already streamed its unsubbed series worldwide, when buying rights? Their target audience is quite different anyway. The real problem for HBO is that if they start selling series for x $ apiece, they will loose all their channel subscribers. People would just by what they really want. Of course they could block the access to their online series for anyone IN the USA, the way FOX block access for anyone OUT of the USA. That would be infinitely funny!

@ Iheartseverus: I am really glad you find this discussion eye opening, since there are many people out there who can´t/don´t care to imagine anything outside of their reality. Still, do not worry too much about the geografical differences in programming. Cultural preferences across Europe and America are quite different, and shows usually don´t premiere in some countries because they would not be appealing to the majority of people in those countries anyway. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are different, of course, because they tend to have universal fanbases. Access to Game of Thrones 24 hours after its initial release must be elevated to the status of a human right! :).

Edit: grammar

Sorry to go back there, but it´s such a sore point I can´t resist. Spanish copies do make for a very queer read for me, but I still think that good translation of names is both necesary (not doing it would leave most people at loss) and impossible. Even the best of translations will be OK/good, but it will never have the WOW factor of the original. Matarreyes is fine IMO, but Kingslayer is WOW, and I obviously had to go with the first one because the second was taken :). We are lucky enough to be able to read the originals, but I know people whose English is OK and who really suffered reading my English AFFC copy before the translation came out both because of medieval terms involved and because they could not recognize the places/people anymore.

;) I promise I'll be brief... Probably my views is biased by the fact that I read the books from the very beginning in english. After that, I could hardly recognize the names and toponyms and the spanish translation sounded weird. WRONG. And yes, for some things english is the WOW version. Spanish isn't that accurate with some terms, and translation implies loosing the joke, the pun, the "touch" (specially so in names). It's a matter of taste; reading in your own language is obviously very confortable, but for me the original version is superior and goes straight to the point.

Besides, this improved my english; it was even worse! :D

Here's a very interesting new article, given our discussion here of how, if, and should tv programs be made available everywhere--how would they go about it, who profits, who pays, etc etc. From this article, it seems 'TV Everywhere' as its being called, is being put into place as we speak! Still limited, still in test stage, but nevertheless, its coming, folks. HBO programming among many others, will be offered on the web (for subscribers). What I wonder now is (down the line, once the technological details are perfected) might not HBO and others allow people outside the U.S. to subscribe to its on-line programming? Interesting developments! AND an interesting question for our non-U.S. members: Would you pay to subscribe to HBO on-line, if it meant you could get instant access on-line to all HBO programming?

DirecTV in talks to put cable shows online

Satellite TV operator negotiating with TBS and TNT

Associated Press

Aug 27, 2009, 07:58 PM ET

Verizon, Time Warner to test Web TV service

DirecTV Group is in talks with the TBS and TNT cable networks to offer their shows online, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

If a deal is reached, DirecTV subscribers would be able to watch shows from those cable networks on the Internet, the people said on condition of anonymity because the talks still are ongoing. DirecTV, the nation's largest satellite TV operator, previously said it was considering such deals but did not specify the networks.

DirecTV joins a growing list of cable, satellite and phone companies that are offering consumers a "multiscreen" experience: the ability to watch shows on TV, computers and mobile devices like cell phones.

As online video grows in popularity, pay TV operators and cable networks are under pressure to offer a service that consumers want while still protecting lucrative subscription fees that operators are paying to the networks. The two sides are expected to share in any advertising revenue generated from online videos.

On Thursday, Time Warner Cable Inc. said it has deals with at least 12 cable networks that would allow the cable operator to put their content on the Internet.

The 12 are: Time Warner's TBS, TNT and HBO; CBS' CBS network; Syfy from GE's NBC Universal; BBC America, Cablevision Systems' AMC, WE tv, IFC, Sundance, Discovery Communications LLC's Discovery and the Smithsonian Channel, a joint venture between CBS's Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution.

Time Warner Cable will begin testing the service in 5,000 households nationally over the next few months. Subscribers will be able to access many shows on the cable networks' Web sites or on Time Warner Cable's sites.

Verizon Communications, which offers television through its ultra-high-speed FiOS service, also unveiled its own online video trial Thursday. It currently has deals with TNT and TBS, but expects to add other networks soon. The phone company started its trial last week with 500 households and plans to expand.

Verizon will allow as many as nine people in a household to sign up, and five can watch shows at the same time, spokeswoman Heather Wilner said.

Wilner said that Verizon also plans eventually to bring cable content to mobile devices, noting that it already offers shows through Verizon Wireless' VCast.

She said Verizon began online access to movies from Liberty Media's Starz movies; Disney's ESPN360 and Disney Connection; YES Network and NFL Game Extra as early as 2005, some for a fee.

Comcast Corp. and Time Warner, announced in June that they are collaborating on a set of protocols for online access to cable shows. Comcast, the nation's largest cable TV operator, has signed up 24 cable and broadcast networks to participate in its online video trial of 5,000 householders, including Time Warner Inc.'s HBO and Cinemax, as well as Starz and CBS.

Israel here, so piracy(besides, I don't even own a TV or any contract with a TV company since it's a waste of money here).

You know, I don't think they even broadcasted BSG's full run, and if they did, it was several YEARS after it started. I think most of the audience here would be content to watch just soccer re-runs.

But DVDs will be bought around the year 2050 when they get here. :(

I'll get them no matter what, and no matter whose kids I'll have to throw through the window! The things I do for love... ;)

I think the BBC will probably start the series a week or two after HBO does. That's what it does with Heroes anyway.

Current rumour is that they won't show Season 4 until January or as late as March, suggesting they're giving up that idea.

From Tuscany. Yeah, I know, you're jealous.

I'm part of the staff of an italian fansubbing (tvseries and movies) website, I'm a translator, we have more than 160.000 registered users, we've just hit the 10 mil downloads milestone.

Clearly, for me and for many of us, BT downloads will be the answer.

There's no doubt that GoT will be shown, eventually, on some SKY (monopolist and too expensive for me) channel a year after, then I could have the chance to watch the show on some free-to-air channel, maybe at midnight a couple of years after the US.

Italy here.

HBO doesn't air in my country so I'll have to hope that some pay-tv will buy the show (e.g. Mediaset Premium). Otherwise my option is to buy the DVDs or - much better -Blue-Rays when available.

This means a couple of years of waiting, at best :stunned:

@flying mosquito: thanks God for Amazon.com! I never read a translation if I can get my hands on the original, and I always can :). My spanish language skills are abysmal at this point.

@iheartseverus: that article is interesting for sure. At least, they are moving things around which is always good. If I can choose the shows I wanna watch and if I get to watch them sooner/at the same time as the pirate version, I will pay. If I have to pay a mighty subscription for 100+ shows and only watch GOT, I won´t. If I have to wait to download while the show is already up on the Internet for free, I´ll sin and pay my homage to HBO through DVD.

Any HBO overlord reading this? The key to my purse is simple: instant access.

If I have to wait to download while the show is already up on the Internet for free, I´ll sin and pay my homage to HBO through DVD.

Any HBO overlord reading this? The key to my purse is simple: instant access.

I doubt that downloading would be involved. I have 'instant movie' access via Netflix for about $13 a month, which is really a great service, and I'm sure HBO etc can do it the same way--streaming. I simply choose a movie at the Netflix site, click 'play' and bingo, its instantly playing on my puter using Windows Media program. And I would guess if HBO (and others) are going to offer an 'HBO On-Line' subscription service, they'd provide their on-line subscribers with the same access as their tv subscribers, that is, instant access. (Now, if they could only work it so I could order hot buttered popcorn and a couple of beers via my computer!)

DVDs have different 'zones' if I'm getting the term correct. US DVDs don't work here.

With the DVD sales HBO have in Norway (not sure who sold most DVD's last year, Lost or The Wire) I expect the DVD's to be available in Norway (region 2) at the same time, or not long after the US. Which reminds me that I ought to pick up Mad Men Season 2, I believe this one was released three weeks ago in the US, it's now available with Norwegian subtitles (but I'm not quite sure when it was released over here). Thus if you're willing to import DVD's from elsewhere in Europe, it shouldn't be a problem.

Some series show up on Norwegian TV surprisingly early, usually way before the UK (Lost is usually a week or two behind the US). When we can expect GoT here if it's picked up is hard to tell, but I'll probably see it first through alternative methods anyway.

Canada.

And it never even occurred to me that we might not get it. I did not know there was an HBO Canada and that it was different form regular HBO, I was planning on getting it but this has me worried now. :uhoh:

I'm in Canada too and am getting worried about that too. I don't currently have HBO Canada and am wondering if they broadcast new shows at the same time as in the US or sometime later. I have no idea. Will have to investigate their programming schedule :huh:

I'm in Canada too and am getting worried about that too. I don't currently have HBO Canada and am wondering if they broadcast new shows at the same time as in the US or sometime later. I have no idea. Will have to investigate their programming schedule :huh:

HBO Canada might not get it at the same time HBO does? :stunned: Crap. Why wouldn't they broadcast at the same time? :unsure:

Archived