Interlinking with Wiki's in other languages?

Scafloc

Ok, I removed all interwiki links (to zh) for articles that had a space in the English article name and where the Chinese article name did not contain the dot

I think that there were only a few links that were incorrect but just to be save.

I'll add them tomorrow with Macro & api method. There is one downside: I cannot get the api to accept Chinese characters so I'll convert them to their unicode-8 representation. That way the link is correct, if you click it you'll get to the right page but the text of link says something like

& # 27233;& # 26524;& # 21381;

It is not perfect but I cannot find any solution for it. If anybody has advice let me hear it.

In theory as long as you set the encoding on your side right, in the xml and/or post request there shouldn't be a problem, however in practice I dont have time to look into that at the moment sorry :(

We can connect with yet another wiki! I contacted the administrator of the .- / ... --- -. --. / --- ..-. / .. -.-. . / .- -. -.. / ..-. .. .-. . (morse for A Song of Ice and Fire) wiki.

They already have around 500 articles and have agreed to set up interlinks with us! Check out their wiki!

• 4 weeks later...

There has been an answer from the wikia employee who we requested to setup the option to create interlinks between our wiki and Hielo y Fuego. Based on the policy that gives preference to internal links (in this case to the almost abandoned Ice and Fire wikia) he suggest an alternative by stetting up links with the use of a template.

It is not clear to me if we (the users on Hielo y Fuego) are allowed to use this template to setup interlinks to all our articles. If so then my suggestion is that we accept this. The use of the template will mean that it will take a bit more time to create an interlink but it can be done.

If not (the message seems to indicate that we can only do this for good or feature articles) than I am not interested anymore with setting up links with Hielo y Fuego.

The complete exchange was here. The last part of the exchange is my effort to convince the admin that setting up external links is more beneficial for wikia then setting up internal ones.

Currently there are a number of interlinks going to and from redirected pages. This is a bit confusing so I like to come to a decision how to handle this. That way I can build the solution in my program.

I think that two options are possible. Booth work for me but have their own advantages and disadvantages

*As there are no real problems (nothing gets broken because of this) we could ignore this and carry on. If someone clicks an interlinks going to a redirected page he will go there. Probably without even noticing that he was redirected.

*The other option is to removed the links going to and from redirects. We would have to take into account the following points:

**There may be cases when the redirection is useful. For instance if there currently is no article for a member of a noble house but only a redirect to the article of the house. If the other wiki does have a separate article it may be useful to keep the link to the redirected page. Because when the redirected page becomes a real page to correct interlink will already be there.

**Also if we go for the removal option we have to keep on checking this in the future.

So let me hear your thoughts. I'll approach the other wikis as well.

Two updates:

• It is ok to setup interlinks with all pages on the Spanish wiki.
    • I have changed the template that we can use for it.
    • Technically the template does not create an interlink but a normal external link. This means that if you use the api to get interlinks you will get nothing. Instead there are categories of articles-linked-to-a-specific language / wiki (I use the template to add the articles to the category).

[*]Unless somebody has strong arguments against it, interlinks to redirected pages can be ignored.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's also an Italian version now, here : http://it.cronachegh...cio_e_del_Fuoco

The project has just started, it only has 50 articles and we're looking for help. I think this is the only ASOIAF Italian wiki project so far :)

There is another one: http://wiki.labarrie...gina_principale also relatively new. I don't know if it is an option to join forces.

About interlinking: it is my preference to wait until the wiki has a couple of hundred pages. That way there is less chance that we link to a project that might be abondonned.

Anyway congrats with your wiki and let me know if I can help you.

• 9 months later...

There is another one: http://wiki.labarrie...gina_principale also relatively new. I don't know if it is an option to join forces.

About interlinking: it is my preference to wait until the wiki has a couple of hundred pages. That way there is less chance that we link to a project that might be abondonned.

Anyway congrats with your wiki and let me know if I can help you.

Hi, I spoke with Ran via email before reading this topic, so sorry if I already made some step before an official approval

I'm the admin of La Barriera, the site related the wiki you've linked in your post. Our project is very alive and after a slow start is now running quite fast.

Following Ran's instructions I have interlinked our pages to AWOIAF, and I received instruction to made the same on AWOIAF towards our wiki. I hope that's not a problem. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived