Interlinking with Wiki's in other languages?

Scafloc

Could be. On the other hand they have already a list of non-wikia wiki's to which they are currently linking. So in some cases they will setup links.

Probably they decide by looking if they could setup on wikia an alternative. There is one but it is small one and not used a lot. So it is likely that a Spanish wikia would benefit from the traffice from our wiki. While they would not benefit from traffic from the English wikia because there is non.

Hi Scafloc!

Ok, so maybe when the wiki gets bigger the matter of the interlink could work. No problem, it was just a thought

About the help, that will be awesome!! I'm not a very technological person and I have been trying to improve the site just a litlle, and the family trees have been a headache in my life XD I have been looking around and still beats me. If you could help me, I would be very grateful.

And about La Garde de Nuit, yeah, I know it. I speak french (not too much, but enough). I will look it with more detail and try to "copy" (in the good way, of course) some templates. But again, I'm not a technological person XD

About the less flexibility of the wikias; I adopted a wiki that already existed, so I haven't too much to say. I'm not sure, but the wikia is different from the wiki itself, so maybe was wrong to use the existing one, maybe it would have been a better idea to create a wiki from the beginning... I don't know, it's just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked your wiki; since the founding of the wiki (the 4th of this month) 2135 articles???

Wow I am seriously impressed!

We'd already had an active community before we decided that we wanted a Chinese wiki, so lots of our guys joined this project at the very beginning.

And having a Wiki of Ice and Fire as an example really ease our work.

Even though, I am truly surprised by the speed of its growth...

Edit: thank you Ran, for mentioning us in latest news.

I just checked your wiki; since the founding of the wiki (the 4th of this month) 2135 articles???

O___O

Ouh yeah.

So let's start interlinking with the french too ^^

It'll be harder than with the russian one to understand what is what with the chinese alphabet ^^

@Rhaena Targaryen

Soy Evrach, administrator de La Garde de Nuit, el wiki frances, y yo hablo español. Si quieres ayuda para el español wiki o interwiki links, puedo ayudarte.

I was impressed too with the chinese wiki... I mean, wow! It's huge! I already contact with the administrator of that wiki and maybe it would be better to puch as a hole for the interlinking process.

And @Evrach, I speak french, or at least I can read and speak french without difficulties (now, writting has always been a little more difficult for me :S). I check La Garde de Nuit and I love it; both (La Garde and the Wiki of Ice and Fire) are my main resources for the spanish wiki :) If you could help me with the interlinking, that will be awesome. But as Scafloc says, maybe it would be better to start with the process when the spanish wiki has more articles. What do you all think?

But as Scafloc says, maybe it would be better to start with the process when the spanish wiki has more articles. What do you all think?

It will be hard work to edit all articles to put interlinks, so, OMHO, the better way is to start as soon as the links are ready. I don't want to edit the "house Stark" page to add the chinese link, then, in two months, reedit the article "house stark" to add the spanish link, then in four months rereedit it to add the portugues link, what do you think ?

Well, the interlink is ready for french -> Spanish and I already put it on the main page (and only there). We'll start put links when all will be ready for the other wikis :)

It will be hard work to edit all articles to put interlinks, so, OMHO, the better way is to start as soon as the links are ready. I don't want to edit the "house Stark" page to add the chinese link, then, in two months, reedit the article "house stark" to add the spanish link, then in four months rereedit it to add the portugues link, what do you think ?

Well, the interlink is ready for french -> Spanish and I already put it on the main page (and only there). We'll start put links when all will be ready for the other wikis :)

Since it is possible for wikis on wikia to interlink with other outside wikis, I think it will be great to have us all interlinked. Is the Russian Wiki admin on this board too? I will write to wikia to let Chinese wiki interlink with all wikis on Scafloc's list.

It will take a long time to add a bunch of language links on every page. But we can soon get started, ideally.

:cheers:

Since it is possible for wikis on wikia to interlink with other outside wikis, I think it will be great to have us all interlinked. Is the Russian Wiki admin on this board too? I will write to wikia to let Chinese wiki interlink with all wikis on Scafloc's list.

It will take a long time to add a bunch of language links on every page. But we can soon get started, ideally.

:cheers:

The Russian admin is Narwen and he is also a member here. I just sent him a pm with link to this discussion

Thank you Scafloc.

And to Evrach, I have written to Wikia. Many thanks for linking to us in advance. I'd say that Chinese language code is not [[ch:blah]], which stands for Chamorro, a Malayo-Polynesian language. Instead, Chinese language code is [[zh:something]]. Zh is the abbreviation form of 中文("Chinese" in Chinese). It is kinda confusing but that's how mediawiki defines it...

Btw, I forgot to mention that you guys at Chiniese Wikia, did a fantastic job with the design. I just love your background image, it looks amazing, especially for those of us with 1680x1050 screen resolutions, who can apricate it fully. This a problem for people like me, now I got excited for no reason, because even though I now what I like, I just dont know how to cross that chasm between it and my design skill :( Anyway, I think I noticed some new COA artworks, that we dont have, anything that we can use?

Also its nice to see our

Brazilian friends getting ahead. Soon we are going to take over the world muahahaha :ph34r: (brw, you fix the nav bar bellow the same way, we did with infobox)

The Russian admin is Narwen and he is also a member here. I just sent him a pm with link to this discussion

I am «she» ;) Chinese wiki is pretty large, but I completely sure it will be not very simple to put interwikis. Even with French one we find correct link using English wiki as source...

h

I am «she» ;) Chinese wiki is pretty large, but I completely sure it will be not very simple to put interwikis. Even with French one we find correct link using English wiki as source...

Hi~

I have a good news. Chinese wiki now has setup language links to French wiki and Russian wiki. I wrote to Wikia last week and finally got this business done today. I think I can encourage our editors to start interlinking now...

I'm going to try and look at setting up the interwiki link to the Chinese wiki this week.

All considered, I think maybe we should try and support the Spanish and Brazilian wikis by interwiking to them, now, as a way to hopefully attract more attention to them and get them more help. Anyone feel similarly? Or should we wait until they've gotten more stable and have more volunteers?

I'm going to try and look at setting up the interwiki link to the Chinese wiki this week.

All considered, I think maybe we should try and support the Spanish and Brazilian wikis by interwiking to them, now, as a way to hopefully attract more attention to them and get them more help. Anyone feel similarly? Or should we wait until they've gotten more stable and have more volunteers?

The Chinese is definately stable enough. The Spanish one already has 377 articles so in my opinion has also proved itself. The Brazilian / Portuguese one is smaller; 80 articles but there is a lot of activity lately. Besides as Evrach pointed out it will be less work if we can add 4 interlinks at once to all pages that the wikis's have in common in stead of doing in one by one. So I am in favor of setting it up for all three.

@Ghost in Winterfell, following on Ran post and Narwen comment, any chance you guys have a list of english/chinies article names? because it easy for you guys to add the other as you go over every article anyway, not so much for the rest of us(it took me forever to add english/russians ones, little by little).

Also any chance you can point me to the location of your new Targarian tree image? I just seen it, but my browser decided to crush on me and now i can't find it again :(

btw, if someone know how to make a bot that can export a list of your interwikis(lets say csv file) and then import one, this can make the entire process very un painful to all the mediawiki's. (For that matter if anyone know how to make bot's, please send me a raven).

Archived