Templates

Werthead

Anyone have any idea on how to copy over Wikipedia templates (with citation!) without going stark raving mad?

I've been fiddling around trying to get a good military template that can be used for battles and wars, and the one on Wikipedia is excellent. The only problem is that it is built on a whole foundation involving other templates. I worked out that to copy it onto the Wiki would involve copying several other templates and getting them to line up with one another and work properly, which I suspect will be astonishingly tedious.

If I'd read that a bit earlier, that might have led to less frustration ;)

Anyway, using Wikia, I ended up creating a reasonable infobox that looks good (could probably do to change the colours to something more SoIaF-ish, but for now it's okay). When I translated it to WoIaF, it didn't work. Putting exactly the same code into the Blackfyre Rebellion page on WoIaF as on Wikia resulted in the formatting going beserk, half the table shooting off the left-hand side of the page and the other half disappearing off the right and ballsing up all the sidebars.

Anyway, I reverted that but can't work out what's wrong. Something to do with the spacing I imagine, since Wikia and Wikipedia use exactly the same commands for colours and everything else.

Excellent :)

I wanted to add a 'Battles' sub-category between 'Location' and 'Result', but one that would only appear if used (using the 'IF' command), as you wouldn't want it appearing in an entry on an individual battle*. Any idea on how to do that? Every time I tried it didn't seem to work.

* i.e. you wouldn't want a 'battles' subcategory appearing on the entry for 'Battle of the Redgrass Field' but for 'Blackfyre Rebellion' you could have a battles subcategory including the Redgrass Field, or for the War of the Five Kings you could list the battles of Oxcross, the Blackwater, Duskendale etc.

Excellent :)

I wanted to add a 'Battles' sub-category between 'Location' and 'Result', but one that would only appear if used (using the 'IF' command), as you wouldn't want it appearing in an entry on an individual battle*. Any idea on how to do that? Every time I tried it didn't seem to work.

* i.e. you wouldn't want a 'battles' subcategory appearing on the entry for 'Battle of the Redgrass Field' but for 'Blackfyre Rebellion' you could have a battles subcategory including the Redgrass Field, or for the War of the Five Kings you could list the battles of Oxcross, the Blackwater, Duskendale etc.

With the "if" command, it's easy to do. I'll do this as soon as I have time to do it.

Done ; in fact I added "if" commands for all the parameters ; so if there is a war/battle, you don't know the date,result or location, you can use easily the box.

Scafloc > The battlebox template is an infobox 1.0 ; without any parser function ; the new box is an infobox 2.0 with parser functions ^^.

It's that that allow us to use the "if" command for exemple ; and many other commands not used here.

Archived