Cooking & Recipes Thread

Yagathai

Instead of chili, try something we like here in the Mercenary household:

Lentils, with curry powder, golden raisins, nuts (we like roasted pine nuts or marcona almonds) and last time we added spinach.

Tasty and filling.

Do you use brown or red lentils? This recipe intrigues me and I think I might give it a try this week. Also how much of each ingredient?

I've recently discovered how tasty lentils are, I've always felt like a bad vegetarian for not liking them more. It turns out I just didn't like them how my grandmother was preparing them, but wow are they awesome when done right. I'd really love to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!

Do you use brown or red lentils? This recipe intrigues me and I think I might give it a try this week. Also how much of each ingredient?

I've recently discovered how tasty lentils are, I've always felt like a bad vegetarian for not liking them more. It turns out I just didn't like them how my grandmother was preparing them, but wow are they awesome when done right. I'd really love to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!

onto the curried lentils of the mercenary household:

i rarely measure things when i cook at home. i cook by feel and taste. so this is a rough estimate.

1 sweet onion cut brunoise

2 carrots cut brunoise

4 cloves of garlic microplaned

1 pound yellow or red lentils

vegetable stock or water

madras curry powder to taste

fresh spinach leaves

golden raisins

almonds or pinenuts

greek style yogurt

saute the onions, carrot and garlic in a fat of your choice until soft. add the lentils and cook until fragrant. follow with the curry powder coating everything. at this point things will smell awesome. add stock to cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are to a texture you enjoy. add more stock as needed. finish with the raisins, nuts and spinach leaves. garnish with yogurt and a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil.

and yeah, it is good.

Enjoy!

Sounds amazing, I am going to make. Thank you!

Though because I am a not an excellent chef and suck and guessing things. About how much spinach raisins, pine nuts, and yogurt?

a half a cup of raisins will be fine, 1/4 cup of nut of choice and dollop of yogurt on each serving.

it really is a great little dish.

Archived