HBO Is Taking Note

SergioCQH

You just know that the average IQ of the board will drop by about 30 points when the series gets going.

Imagine silly teenagers arguing which is hotter, Robb Stark or Jon Snow...

"Robb is soooooo cute, so aristocratic, I'm so hoping he will become Lord very very soon.."

"What are you saying, Jon is better, so inner-conflicted poor boy... I would really comfort him..."

There will be a lot of LOLs.

The fanbase for HBO series' is quite different from the fanbase of, say, Twilight. And I doubt bandwagon fans will come to this board - it's clearly oriented toward the books, with the show being a subforum - rather than one devoted to the show, with a lot of shiny pictures of the cast. Overall I think extra people visiting this board will be more positive than negative. As Sable said, it'll be a much nicer experience if they're treated well rather than assumed to have no worthwhile input because they hadn't read the series earlier.

Elitists will be elitists. ;)

True, however, think about how YOU feel when you encounter an elitist? It happens all the time on open forums like this. Put yourself in their shoes. Even elitists can be courteous and educate the unwashed masses.

Imagine silly teenagers arguing which is hotter, Robb Stark or Jon Snow...

"Robb is soooooo cute, so aristocratic, I'm so hoping he will become Lord very very soon.."

"What are you saying, Jon is better, so inner-conflicted poor boy... I would really comfort him..."

There will be a lot of LOLs.

I'm pretty sure there has been a thread about this. :lol:

True, however, think about how YOU feel when you encounter an elitist? It happens all the time on open forums like this. Put yourself in their shoes. Even elitists can be courteous and educate the unwashed masses.

I agree with you. In any case though, i've never seen much in the way of 'newbie bashing' here, so there's not much to worry about on the elitist front. :)

I agree with you. In any case though, i've never seen much in the way of 'newbie bashing' here, so there's not much to worry about on the elitist front. :)

So, Ser, can we assume that you're going to try and play nice with the other boys and girls? No spitwads or pulling pigtails? :cheers:

My concern for this board about a rush of movie-only newbies (well, not 'concern,' I guess, that's too serious a word), my 'thoughts on the matter' would be more about argue-for-argument's-sake-movie-fans than about any elitists here at the board. I was very involved for a number of years in various Harry Potter forums--Mugglenet, Chamber of Secrets, the Harry Potter Network, and truly, as each movie came out, the discussions would quickly plummet from interesting debate (from book canon) about the true meaning of this, that or the other character's real motivations, words and intentions, into name-callling, sneering and insistence upon arguing a specious stance even when (courteous) board members proved the argument to be totally false, based on actual quotes from the actual author of the actual books. There were many such flare-ups, until it just became...tedious. One such was movie-Snape smacking Ron and Harry on the head with a folder for whispering during study time in the Great Hall. Good grief! That single movie moment sparked near-hysteria for months on end, even though no such thing happened in the book. Snape never hit anyone, period. Ever. But movie-only fans insisted, ad nauseum, exhaustively, that Snape hitting Harry and Ron like that proved what a violent and abusive sadist he was. It just didn't matter how many times (and how courteously) it was pointed out that Warner Bros. invented that movie moment, it never really happened, the author didn't write it, it never existed. Just didn't matter. They knew that Snape hit Harry and Ron because they saw it happen. And, there it is. When you see something happen in front of your eyes, you know it happened. You saw it happen. It happened. Even worse, Warner Bros. treated the character of Sirius Black very sympathetically, creating a whole culture of (hysterical?) young female Sirius fans who were eager to argue until the end of time what a loving and concerned 'father-figure' Sirius was to Harry. Uh? "I cried when Sirius died" became their mantra. Truly, it bordered on hysteria.

This board will change when the GoT series hits the air. How it will change, who knows? But it will.

My concern for this board ..../... This board will change when the GoT series hits the air. How it will change, who knows? But it will.

I agree with you for the most part. One thing that I see as different in this case is that the fans of ASOIAF are, for the most part, nearly a generation older than those legions of HP fans you describe. Also, we have had the benefit of learning the bad things that can happen to forums when things get out of hand. If we all prepare ourselves for the inevitable, that being an expansion of the fandom, then we can avoid those pitfalls that have killed off reasonable discussion on other forums.

How this forum will change is really up to those who actively participate and drive the discussion, but change it will.

Most ASoIaF fans will be a lot older than the Potter fanbase, plus the books are a lot more ingrained in the fanbase: after all, it was barely four years before the first Potter book and the first movie coming out, whilst with SoIaF it will be fifteen years.

I also suspect we'll be seeing people gravitate more towards other forums, maybe even a specially-set-up-for-the-TV-show one (WiC could capitalise on that), especially since our spoiler policy on the TV show has kind of gone out the window here ;)

Also, we have had the benefit of learning the bad things that can happen to forums when things get out of hand. If we all prepare ourselves for the inevitable, that being an expansion of the fandom, then we can avoid those pitfalls that have killed off reasonable discussion on other forums.

How this forum will change is really up to those who actively participate and drive the discussion, but change it will.

Sable, I think you've made your point, admirably (and repeatedly!) You've cautioned this entire board again and again to be courteous (presumably, you feel we needed that caution?) :stunned: You point out that 'we have had the benefit of learning the bad things that can happen to forums when things get out of hand.' WE have, to be sure. But newbies haven't.

But I take exception with your point that 'How this forum will change is really up to those who actively participate and drive the discussion.' Nuh-uh. It's flat-out impossible to 'drive' a group of people who are solidly bound together in their interpretation of what they've seen, what they therefore believe they know to be true.

Anyway, my bottom line is yes, this board will change. Yes, there will be an influx of movie-only-newbies, yes, we should all be courteous (duh?), but yes, there will be an influx of 'true-believers' who believe what they believe because they saw it happen--no matter if it never happened in the books.

Most ASoIaF fans will be a lot older than the Potter fanbase, plus the books are a lot more ingrained in the fanbase:

I would argue that yes, most asoiaf BOOK fans are a lot older than HP book fans. But I think that's exactly the point, here. HBO fans, non-readers who are young fans of violent television sword-and-sorcerer programs, will love HBO's presentation of GoT. They won't care a whit about the books, and here they will come. And, yes (Sable!) we'll be courteous. Nevertheless, here they will come.

Yes, there will be an influx of movie-only-newbies, yes, we should all be courteous (duh?), but yes, there will be an influx of 'true-believers' who believe what they believe because they saw it happen--no matter if it never happened in the books.

Well yes. The TV series will be a different interpretation of aSoIaF. If something happens in the TV series but it doesn't happen in the books, that doesn't make the TV series "wrong". Just different.

Readers can get really upset at how TV viewers will have their own interpretations of characters and events based on what they will see. But it really isn't worth their while. This is a re-imagining of the books. Hopefully a pretty faithful one but re-imagined none the less. :)

Pod is completely correct. The TV series will just be a 'different' version of ASOIAF, and fans of the series (if it happens) will be as welcome here as far as I'm concerned as fans of the books, or indeed fans of GRRM's work more generally, or fans of fantasy and SF. Certainly, we'll expect people to maintain the same standards of behaviour towards 'newbies' brought here by the series as we do towards 'newbies' now.

On a related note, I do agree the board will change. It's always changed, though. It's a different place now than it was five years ago, and that's good, because the alternative is stagnation. If the series is picked up, the change may well be more radical than any we've had before, and that will set challenges for us all, but we'll cope and I hope the board will be better for it. :)

I have a feeling that GRRM's stance against fanfiction will be trampled all over, at the very least. Not on this board, I'm sure, as Ran would delete anything that people post, but elsewhere.

Oooo, Sil, you've hit on something that is going to explode once the series hits the air. I know that there are Sean Bean fanfiction writers just chomping at the bit to run with the least little hint at male camaraderie and turn it into *gasp!!!* Slash. Its going to happen and I don't think that GRRM is going to be able to do anything about it. Bernard Cornwell and the late Patrick O'Brian figured that out early on and simply chose to ignore it, therefore the bounty of Sharpe and Hornblower fanfictions out there.

Aubrey and Maturin, not Hornblower. I think C.S. Forester would have ignored Hornblower fanfic, of course, because he was dead before it really started. ;)

There is already ASoIaF fanfic. I suppose there'll be even more. It won't be tolerated here, as Silverstar says, but doubtless it'll continue on LJ and find dedicated forums of its own.

Aubrey and Maturin, not Hornblower. I think C.S. Forester would have ignored Hornblower fanfic, of course, because he was dead before it really started. ;) (Sorry, brain fart...I knew that...confusing my antique superheroes...)

There is already ASoIaF fanfic. I suppose there'll be even more. It won't be tolerated here, as Silverstar says, but doubtless it'll continue on LJ and find dedicated forums of its own.

Sadly true, and even sadder that most of it will likely be slash.

Archived