Goodkind XLVI: Behold the BRILLIANCE

Gabriele

Oh, don't tell me I invented that. Sod. :( (I needed to use the collective noun for lemmings in a book about six years ago; I was so certain I'd found the correct term rather than inventing it - for one thing, "parliament" totally didn't scan in the sentence...) Sorry to get your hopes up. :(

A quick google search seems to indicate that it's a "parliament of owls". There's also the poem called "A Parliament of Birds", but that might not be named after a collective noun.

All the seats are taken in the house that makes the rules

All the seats are taken in the parliament of fools

The discontented winter howled, when I first came up to vote.

They swept in on a sea of change, but I'm glad I missed their boat.

As communities were taxed and torn, utilites got floated

And for eighteen years the "True Blue" cause prevailed and was promoted.

How do you cast your vote in the parliament of fools?

Now I took me off to college for to learn philosophy.

Studied Paine and Machiavelli, spin and sophistry.

But coming from a country that was red in tooth and claw,

For a one-horse-race some lobby-fodder-donkey was brought forth.

All the seats are taken in the house that makes the rules

All the seats are taken in the parliament of fools.

Armed with this liberal knowledge, I set off to London town.

To see the "Seat of Wisdom," and hear justice handed down.

Not a 'semblance of normality,' an assembly of insanity

I'll not become a member of this parliament most foul.

Yes, all the seats are taken and our confidence is shaken.

Not even brilliant Jaw kicking?

A few jaws get broken, but none of them by kicking, and none belong to kids. There aren't even any kids in the book. Literally the only thing in the book that stands out is the opening scene with the pirate plumbers (which never recurs by the way, it's the only scene in which piracy or plumbing plays a role).

A few jaws get broken, but none of them by kicking, and none belong to kids. There aren't even any kids in the book. Literally the only thing in the book that stands out is the opening scene with the pirate plumbers (which never recurs by the way, it's the only scene in which piracy or plumbing plays a role).

You know its sad that Goodkind has been reduced from a terrible author who writes stuff that is just hilarious for all the wrong reasons, to a bad author who just writes boring books.

You know its sad that Goodkind has been reduced from a terrible author who writes stuff that is just hilarious for all the wrong reasons, to a bad author who just writes boring books.

He always was that, though. The crushing boredom is far worse than the evil chickens. Obviously he's just run out of all those brilliant plot devices like namble cocks and testicle barbecues, melon-sized holes and coiled fury, and there's nothing left but the abject and preachy tedium. :cry:

He always was that, though. The crushing boredom is far worse than the evil chickens. Obviously he's just run out of all those brilliant plot devices like namble cocks and testicle barbecues, melon-sized holes and coiled fury, and there's nothing left but the abject and preachy tedium. :cry:

Damn, has it ever been said better than that?

was it ever explained what the law of nines is? or the pirates?

The law of nines was brought up about 4 times in the book, to explain that Alex was a Very Special Person. It was never explained what it is, or how it works. The pirate thing only came about in the first chapter, never again.

I thought it was blatantly clear that the book title "Law of Nines" was merely a marketing gimmick tied in to the release date (well the originally planned release date at least) of 09/09/09 :rolleyes:

This was my assessment as well. It's also a "thrillery" name. "Two forgettable protagonists battle a yet more forgettable antagonist for no particular reason" isn't a very good title.

I finished reading Lo9 last night. Before I return it to the library this Sunday I'll post more thoughts on it. Before I post a more in-depth analysis I'd like to say that I too noticed the overwhelming mediocrity of the book. It isn't like the sword of truth series with stupid stuff bursting out of every seam.

I actually gave some thought to this and came up with the following theory. The reason Lo9 seems much blander than Goodkind's usual fare is that it is set in the "real" world, rather than in a world in which every aspect- history, culture, science, magic- is controlled by Terry Goodkind. This gives Terry much less opportunity to summons up evil chickens, nambles, and all the other patently ridiculous stuff. And what is Goodkind without absurdity? Not that much.

I actually gave some thought to this and came up with the following theory. The reason Lo9 seems much blander than Goodkind's usual fare is that it is set in the "real" world, rather than in a world in which every aspect- history, culture, science, magic- is controlled by Terry Goodkind. This gives Terry much less opportunity to summons up evil chickens, nambles, and all the other patently ridiculous stuff. And what is Goodkind without absurdity? Not that much.

This is it. This is it exactly. He can't have the protagonists killing people by the hundreds and thousands because then they'd just go to jail. He can't have the villians sacrificing virgins to dark gods because in the real world that's retarded. So the heroes are slightly good and the bad guys are slightly bad (with a terrorist attack thrown in to make them ext3eme ev0l!), and altogether boring.

Archived