Goodkind XLVI: Behold the BRILLIANCE

Gabriele

• 2 weeks later...

I was FINALLY able to get a copy of Law of Nines from the library. It's a lovely hardcover edition with the nice tree-line cover art. I'm expecting this book to be hilariously awful. I'm glad I didn't need to feed the yeard to finally have a chance to read this. Confessor was the last time he got my money.

I was FINALLY able to get a copy of Law of Nines from the library. It's a lovely hardcover edition with the nice tree-line cover art. I'm expecting this book to be hilariously awful. I'm glad I didn't need to feed the yeard to finally have a chance to read this. Confessor was the last time he got my money.

You actually paid money for that book?

Was it second hand did you pay full price?

Argh, so yesterday I went to one of the biggest bookstores in the town where I live to buy some Sinterklaas presents (The guy that Santa Claus was ripped off from).

Guess who's book was stalled out in the shop window. Fully translated into Dutch, and right next to Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol . Now I'm not a Dan Brown fan at all (Although I am guilty of owning Digital Fortress) But still. Omg. It's almost like Terry Goodkind has actually become mainstream. And the book was in the fiction and not the fantasy section. Meh :(

WTF?

Why have I never heard about the chipmunks before now? Five years of quality bashing and this is the first time I've heard about chipmunks being used in the series as psychopathic torture maniac-pacification tools?

OTOH,I love that drinking game:

In keeping with the ancient tradition of using alcohol to relieve pain, make the obtuse clear, and the insane seem logical, I present the Sword of Truth Drinking Game! The rules are quite simple.

Take a drink \~/ every time:

• One of the “heroes” does something morally heinous;
  • Make it a double if the “hero” also speechifies about how morally superior he is;
  • One of the “heroes” demonstrates hypocrisy;
  • One of the “heroes” speechifies;
  • Make it a double if he speechifies when he should be fighting;
  • Or if he is explaining how decent people should live their lives;
  • A hero acts out of petty spitefulness towards a supposed ally
  • A bad guy does something grotesquely sadistic for no good reason;
  • A character acts in a stupid way so the hero can look better by comparison;
  • A strawman political argument is made;
  • Something is excessively sexual for no good reason;
  • The hero's unreliable magic does exactly what the plot requires;
  • One of the heroes is described in flowery prose;
  • Something magical is introduced and never referred to again;
  • The hero instinctively “knows” something he logically should not;
  • Something blindingly stupid happens.

Added as of Book 2: Stone of Tears
  • Zedd says or does something that's supposed to be funny and it's not.
  • Casanova Zedd makes an appearance.
  • There's excessive or pointless angsting.
  • Something is unintentionally ironic.
  • Cliches are used in place of characterization or description.
  • Richard or Kahlan demonstrate Mary Sue/Marty Stu traits.
  • It is obvious that Terry Goodkind did no research whatsoever on a given subject.

Ready? Let's start killing our livers!

WTF?

Why have I never heard about the chipmunks before now? Five years of quality bashing and this is the first time I've heard about chipmunks being used in the series as psychopathic torture maniac-pacification tools?

I'm sure that's been brought up before. IIRC the mord-sith, who have been systematically tortured since they were small children as a way to turn them into emotionless murderers slavishly devoted to "Father Rahl", are turned into giggling schoolgirls by the mere presence of cuddly chipmunks.

Archived