Scenes that wouldn't work on TV

Dubbilex

I wonder how the whole chapter-through-the-eyes-of-one-character thing will work on tv if they will even try to do it...

They aren't, the pilot script is written like a traditional screenplay and scenes are integrated more in chronological order rather than by POV. We also get more of characters like Jaime and Cersei from the start, whom we of course don't get POVs from until later books.

I wonder about Lady Stoneheart. Will she look like a zombie or what? Im not sure how it wont seem rediculous on screen, but in the book she was horrific in the truest sense. There are definitely scenes that will have to be pulled off just right for the series that wont create disbelief. We don't want them to cut out these scenes (it is a world with magic) but it needs to feel organic and real, not fairytale-ish or campy.

There is, thus far, nothing hinging on him specifically missing a nose, so they might just end up scarring him in some other distinctive way (the attack itself is more important than how it scars Tyrion) in order to make it easier on themselves in terms of make-up.

You can shoot that without actually seeing the act, itself - in fact it's often the case that when you cut away at the last second (and if done right), people will fill in the worst possible thing in their mind making it far more powerful than if you showed it yourself. Many people will actually remember having seen the moment, even though they just created it in their own mind. Happens all the time.

The shower scene in Psycho is the perfect example. You never once see the knife touching flesh, but you hear it and you see the blood trailing down the tub, and then Janet Leigh lying dead, half-way hanging out of the tub, yet the scene was so disturbing in its day that people ran from the theater vomiting or passed out in their seats, most of them having imagined far, far worse images than they ever actually saw.

Or the infamous chainsaw scene in Scarface. You don't actually see the act but the scene is horrific nonetheless.

I wonder how they're going to do the Wall, and especially Mance Rayder's attack on it. Mammoths, giants and a 700 feet tall structure is going to stretch any special effects budget.

Being in the 3D animation business (albeit in a very minor role at this point), I think I can answer this question. Do you remember Pellenor Field or Helm's Deep in LOTR? That's the beauty of CGI. It's much cheaper than doing it the old fashion way and you can get close to realistic results with today's technology. This is really a mild problem compared to trying to convey POV plot points in a medium where we don't get to go inside the character's head. This is why I have never been a fan of converting novels to movies/television shows... The mediums are just too different and movies/television shows tend to be formulaic (simplified) for a reason. This happened with LOTR (a much simpler story arc than ASOIAF) and will certainly happen here.

ASOIAF is just too complicated and cerebral for the average TV viewer who has a tough time remembering 7-8 main characters let alone the roughly 20 in the FIRST novel of the series. Compound that with the fact that Martin has over 100 characters who are given lines/plot points, expect a lot of viewers to be lost unless the plots/characters are simplified.

that's one of my favorite things in GRRMs world...it's real, nothing is fair just because it would be nice if it was...bad things do happen to good people and vice versa...

*SPOILER ALERT*

Chronologically, deaths will certainly be changed/removed. I'll be surprised if Ned dies before season 1 finale, with the last episode being Robs victory at Battle of Whispering Wood. It's harder to look past the first season... since it has to be picked up for a second for it to continue... but if the actor playing Rob makes him become a very popular character, he may not even die until season 4 if at all. Also, HBO exec's will exert their control in order to "correct" things that they felt didn't work in the first season and shove down our throats the things that did work. Don't mean to be a complete pessimist, but this is the business side of things where creativity takes a backseat :( Having said all that, I think the show will be AMAZING. Just not nearly as good as the books.

I disagree with most of what you said.

Ned's Death? Season one finale, definitely. Won't even take much timeline changing for it to work.

But the Red Wedding will probably be season three. It's supposed to be a shocker.

I think the show will be better. HBO is not known for Executive Meddling. Ever. Tell me one show that was made worse by HBO. Hell, they kept a show that had only 1.5 million viewers for another two seasons because they knew it was good, without making changes (The Wire).

Ned's Death? Season one finale, definitely. Won't even take much timeline changing for it to work.

Timeline wise, Ned's death should happen at the end of the second last episode. Otherwise events after his death in aGOt wouldn't make much sense (e.g. Robb becoming King). I imagine that Bean sees the advantage in been signed up for 1 season only also.

Archived