Birthers... one more time

Dinsdale!

Between the 2006 elections and Obama's victory in '08, I think something must have snapped in him. When I first came to the board in '02 he was still conservative but he made logical and sometimes persuasive arguments, and was very amiable. Over time he just seemed to become more and more unhinged. Just my opinion.

You could say the same about most of the political right wing in this country, though perhaps I'd move the "day they went bugfuck" date to the Clinton impeachment circus.

You could say the same about most of the political right wing in this country, though perhaps I'd move the "day they went bugfuck" date to the Clinton impeachment circus.

For many yeah, I remember going into aol chatrooms the day Clinton was censored by the Senate but not impeached and all the conservatives were throwing massive hissy fits.Bbut when I first came here in '02 I didn't agree with Dirjj a lot but I liked the guy, but then he just seemed to become more sarcastic and less thoughtful with many of his comments.

at least these things are fairly important; the BHO birth certificate is about the dumbest thing over which to make a conspiracy--usually, there has to be something at stake for a group of people to form a plan to commit crimes in its furtherance.

Oh there are "benefits" to buying the birther line of crap. On the purveyor's side:

The fella who took the issue to the supreme court is making GOBs of cash on donations to "keep the cause going". And I bet the soldier who is refusing deployment (because Obama isn't really pres, ya know) makes the speaking rounds and may even write a book.

On the consumer's side:

The thing that gets me about this is that the people who actually believe this stuff are very close to being literally up in arms. But someone upthread nailed it. It is an excuse for them to be racist. And for some it is an excuse to be an assassin for God. They are so convinced that God has given moral authority that they excuse all manner of terrible acts, up to and including murder in a house of worship.

For many yeah, I remember going into aol chatrooms the day Clinton was censored by the Senate but not impeached and all the conservatives were throwing massive hissy fits.Bbut when I first came here in '02 I didn't agree with Dirjj a lot but I liked the guy, but then he just seemed to become more sarcastic and less thoughtful with many of his comments.

Certainly the post-9/11 period can be considered the time in which the right wing went from bugfuck crazy to rat-in-a-coffee-can crazy.

Phew. He isn't quite a birther, though he leaves the door open: Dirjj (I'm pretty sure) on Town Hall

ETA: some of the other results I've found indicate he has gone into right-wing reinforcement areas for a while, though, as his arguments are not nearly as sound as they used to be. "Bugfuck" does come to mind a bit.

ETA 2: He also definitely has nothing on this guy

Yeah, I can't find many of the posts I saw back when I went looking for him after this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showt...34257&st=60

Note that Bronn says he had a discussion with dirjj where he did claim that and I certainly saw the same claims. I did see the post where he suggested Obama killed his grandmother for the sympathy vote, though.

Some of you should go over to the Free Republic there are pages and pages about Obama and how he is an Islamic, Marxist usurper who will sell this country. Its freaking hilarious, they do not say its because he is black, but the words "African born" appear a lot.

I actually just had this argument with someone at work last week. He was trying to explain to me how the President must be someone born within one of the 50 states, so that's why the Hawai'ian birth cert mattered. I kept trying to say that no, the requirements are that the person be over 35, a natural-born citizen, and the residence requirement. He was having absolutely none of it.

I don't know if all of the birthers would also be confused about that -- either that citizens are only born within the country OR that being President requires more than natural citizenship -- but it's the only explanation I can think of.

According to this person my Uncle is ineligible to be President because he was born on a military base? Every document where place of birth is listed shows Fort X instead of the state. I'm sure the birthers would love his whiteness, but hate his Hispanic last name.

Don't think the birthers are confused at all. They are using President Obama's immigrant parent to question his citizenship. I'm sure they would not question Sen. Mc Cain's citizenship at all. Willing to bet that is more about an African American man in the Oval Office than anything else. If Deval Patrick (MA Governor) was elected President instead of Obama they would make up some equally insane conspiracy theory about him.

All it does is once again shows the Republican party as the party of racism, hate, and xenophobia. At least that's the message I'm getting.

I simply take it as a given that these "birthers" are fucking racist swine.

I'm not comfortable with that generalization. I happen to know one birther personally. And he's many things, among them crazy, but I have never heard him say anything racist. He believes that the Piri Ries map is of Antarctica, that global warming is a hoax, that the economy is going to explode in the next five years with an assist from Barack Obama. And I don't mean collapse like Argentina in the 20th century collapse, but rather Australia in the Road Warrior style collapse.*

There are a fair number of non-racist people in this whole birther thing, as in the Tea Party / Ron Paul axis, though there are definitely a lot of racists as well.

You might say that shouldn't the non-racists know they're hanging out with a bunch of crazy racists. To that I can only say, do not underestimate the power of human delusion.

Conspiracy theorists come in all sorts of flavors, and can believe all sorts of ridiculous things in varieties that defy our logic like Lima Bean ice cream. Because they're irrational. Because they're nuts.

* The Rule of Thunderdome: Two men enter. One man leaves.

That sounds reasonable, Dinsdale, and I think that it might very well be true. I'm still curious about why other Presidents haven't been forced to produce endless stacks of evidence that they are natural-born Americans. I mean, I've always believed that Bill Clinton was born in a Romanian monastery and that Gerald Ford's parents were Czech spies living in Paris at the time of his birth but whenever I bring up my theories on Youtube videos of their speeches everyone shouts me down and calls me crazy. That's hardly fair; I have as much evidence as the "birthers"!

Aye. The question is always "Why THIS president? Why does THIS one have to prove he's an American?".

And the answer is simple.

It's because he's a Kenyan Muslim.

So yeah, Birthers are racist.

I think we should make a compromise, and say you have to have been born in the continental united states.

The right gets no second term for Obama, and the world gets no Sara Palin ever!

Thats to sensible and even handed to ever be carried out by our masters in Washington.

I think we should make a compromise, and say you have to have been born in the continental united states.

The right gets no second term for Obama, and the world gets no Sara Palin ever!

Palin was born in Idaho. Quite continental, unfortunately.

Archived