Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister

About Yea High

People who may be totally nice in person can be such asses online. Sure, actors should be able to deal with some criticism (constructive is better to deal with), but to think it doesn't affect them at all...

Its just rampant speculation. It feeds itself and we end up with ridiculous comments. Given the fact that her pregnancy fits well with the provisional timeline we've got from GRRM (decision in March, a number of months of pre-production to follow), its not an issue. Except for it been cool news for Lena Headey. :)

NCW is more rugged than pretty, but I trust the casting dept. We just have to wait and see

Loras was always the really pretty one though. I don't think there was any real need for Jaime to be like that.

Just back from Cylon Attack (a BSG convention in London). I spoke to Jamie Bamber and while he was talking about work opportunities I'd asked him if he'd heard of the HBO project Game of Thrones (thinking he'd be good in it). He nodded and said he'd actually auditioned for that show already. Surprised I asked him which part. He said "the baddie, you know the one that sleeps with his sister" and then stated he didn't get the part. He was curious how I knew about the project and I had to explain it was a set of books etc.

Not sure if this was already common knowledge or not, just thought I'd share.

Jackie - ps. not meaning to be impolite but I think Jamie might have lost out due to his height, he's a similar height to Sean Bean.

Fascinating! That would have been ... interesting, actually. :)

We know they're keeping actors from the auditions in mind if it goes forward. Jamie Bamber as Renly? They're aging people up any ways, and he's a handsome fellow. Or maybe Littlefinger, really, if they wanted to go against the grain and he could pull it off.... Though I prefer some of the other suggestions.

Or for a smaller role, Beric Dondarrion. He's rather older, but that's not really essential (except you lose the bit with Sansa saying a 21-year-old is so old), and I think he could nail the ruined yet noble Lightning Lord in S3...

JacMac,

Just back from Cylon Attack (a BSG convention in London). I spoke to Jamie Bamber and while he was talking about work opportunities I'd asked him if he'd heard of the HBO project Game of Thrones (thinking he'd be good in it). He nodded and said he'd actually auditioned for that show already. Surprised I asked him which part. He said "the baddie, you know the one that sleeps with his sister" and then stated he didn't get the part. He was curious how I knew about the project and I had to explain it was a set of books etc.

Not sure if this was already common knowledge or not, just thought I'd share.

Jackie - ps. not meaning to be impolite but I think Jamie might have lost out due to his height, he's a similar height to Sean Bean.

Since they're aging up the characters. Bamber may not make a bad Lancel.

Interesting about Bamber, but to be honest I think NCW is a far, FAR better choice for the part.

Littlefinger was the first other possible role that came to mind. I could see Dondarrion, too. His youngish age isn't at all a necessity. What they do need, though, is an actor who is willing to pull a Christian Bale type of thing and practically starve himself for his later appearance with the Bw/B. Renly might work too, if they age him up significantly, though I hope they don't go past late-20's for Renly aging him up. In truth, Renly only has two major scenes in the books, both very close to each other. The part could be expanded some for Season 1.

The whole point of Lancel is that he's barely a grown-up (really still a kid) that Cersei totally uses and abuses, kind of chewing him up and spitting him out. It wouldn't be believable with someone as old as Bamber.

Very interesting to see who else auditioned. :) Thanks Jac!

The whole point of Lancel is that he's barely a grown-up (really still a kid) that Cersei totally uses and abuses, kind of chewing him up and spitting him out. It wouldn't be believable with someone as old as Bamber.

Good point.

Wish I'd asked James Callis the same question regard whether he'd heard of HBO's GoT. Would like to see him in it too but not as a Baltar clone, maybe Roose Bolton or a Tyrell? Anyway that may be off topic here.

Jackie

hehe Bamber could be a pretty decent Littlefinger indeed but wouldn't have seen him as Jaime. (and from now on I don't think I can see anyone but NCW as Jaime)

Funny, I had a dream last night and NCW was in it as Jamie so to me he IS Jamie. (I was Sansa standing in the council room and they were putting me down pretty badly. I only remember seeing Jamie though).

I don't want to put the guy down at all, but loved BSG despite Bamber. I know a lot of people love him, but he seemed to either only act with his jaw muscle or he over emoted. My husband and I regularly groaned at his acting, I used to joke it was the William Shatner school of acting, husband said it was the Kathleen Turner school of thesbianism.

Sorry folks, I hope he's not in the show, or has a small role.

Jamie is 5'8" at the outside. Sorry, you're all in a cadre of actors I know pretty well. Yeah, Paul McGann (who was almost Sharpe instead of Bean) admits to 5'8", and they were pretty much of a height. Ah, Jamie only claims 5'9".

Personally, I think he can act. I've been following him since the Hornblower days, when he was slightly plump. I don't think he was bad in BSG either.

That being said, even with the angles of his mature face and ripped body, I don't think he's Jaime. I can see where he got an audition though.

Can't see him as Littlefinger. Need someone more devious looking.

James Callis as Littlefinger would be utterly amazing.

Jamie Bamber as, well, Jamie would be an odd choice. I could see him as a different part. Garlan perhaps, or I'd like to see what he could do with Ser Alliser Thorne... a wicked individual might do him some good.

All in all, I am extremely happy with NCW as Jamie. I think he and Lena Headley will play off of each other, and give each other significant depth... especially in the later books.

For some reason I'm thinking Bamber would be a good Jaqen H'ghar (he'd look completely different with the "just came out of the black cells" look and the crazy hair)... or maybe one of the bad-ass knights in Ned's flashbacks (he'd definitely make a great Arthur Dayne or maybe Rhaegar even).

speaking of BSG people, the guy who played Baltar's lawyer in BSG would be a brilliant Littlefinger. Definitely a good choice, in my book.

Mark Sheppard? Yes, he'd be okay in the role, although it's a little similar to the roles he's done before (Romo in BSG and Badger in Firefly).

Archived