The Hound cast?

aidan

Scottish Actor Rory McCann has been cast as Sandor Clegane, The Hound.

Six foot six inches tall, with brown eyes and dark hair, Rory McCann from Glasgow began his working life at the top – as a painter on the Forth Bridge in Scotland. He came to notice in a television commercial for Scotts’ Porridge Oats, in which he appeared as a scantily-clad hunk in a vest and kilt and little else wandering snowbound streets but warmed by the inner glow of the porridge. He claims that as a consequence he was often approached by people demanding that he “lift his kilt.†In 2002 he was seen in the TV comedy-drama ‘The Book Group’ playing a wheelchair-bound lifeguard, a part for which he won a Scottish BAFTA award for the best television performance of 2002. Since then he has taken television roles as Peter the Great and a priest in ‘Shameless’. He made his Hollywood debut in Oliver Stone’s ‘Alexander’. He divides his time between homes in London and Glencoe, Scotland, where he aims to have his own castle. He is an accomplished singer, pianist and harmonica-player as well as an all-round sportsman.

Certainly has the size and the look for the role. Anyone familiar with his other roles?

Mmm ... I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not going to "tear up" (as GRRM claimed to have done during Rory's casting) at any reading Vinnie Jones has done.

Unless he has his hand on your balls, that is.

Then again ... (MNBSFW)

... it could be said Vinnie Jones makes every movie he's in

Vinnie Jones: "I'm the HOUND, bitch!"

Thank God for Rory McCann.

Yeah but Vinnie Jones could play Gregor. With some right angles, he could look like a Mountain compared to Sandor, plus playing a cold hearted bastard is not that challenging, especially if you have played nothing else before. How's that movie called, the Meat Train? He looked pretty solid there.

I was pumped about McCann as The Hound when the board figured it out weeks ago, and I'm even more pumped now after Mr. Martin described the quality of McCann's reading. The Hound is my favorite character, and McCann will own the role.

As for Gregor, there are two huge actors that can pull it off. Nathan Jones is 6'11 and Conan Stevens is 7+ feet. Either one of them will dwarf McCann. I'm hoping for Jones. He's thicker and has a better look for the part, imho.

A little more about Rory's reading from Parris over at Georges blog

since George brought it up... Rory's reading truly affected us - I startled when he demanded that Sansa look at him - a scene I know deeply - a few moments later, for the first time in all the years of reading and re-reading the books, I actually felt compassion for Sandor. Now that's acting! I've never understood those who have some sort of attachment to Sandor being a 'wounded bad boy' who could find the good side of the force by the love a good woman (Sansa). But I think Rory could have that sort of attraction for viewers if D&D give him a chance.

Yeah but Vinnie Jones could play Gregor. With some right angles, he could look like a Mountain compared to Sandor, plus playing a cold hearted bastard is not that challenging, especially if you have played nothing else before. How's that movie called, the Meat Train? He looked pretty solid there.

+1.

Now we are even. And I like McCann it is just that a felt Vinnie looks much more like a Clegane.

Not sure about McCann. Pretty much every role I have seen him in he plays, to some extent, a gentle giant. In the Book Group, in State of Play he was like this. Even in Hot Fuzz, where he was nominally a villain, he was still to an extent lovable.

I can't really see him as the Hound although he is physically imposing enough for it.

A little more about Rory's reading from Parris over at Georges blog

since George brought it up... Rory's reading truly affected us - I startled when he demanded that Sansa look at him - a scene I know deeply - a few moments later, for the first time in all the years of reading and re-reading the books, I actually felt compassion for Sandor. Now that's acting! I've never understood those who have some sort of attachment to Sandor being a 'wounded bad boy' who could find the good side of the force by the love a good woman (Sansa). But I think Rory could have that sort of attraction for viewers if D&D give him a chance.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement from Parris herself. Yea is chuffed.

I'm curious who the unfortunate Sansa was during the reading. A 6' 6" dude screaming into your face can't be fun.

Or can it?

As for Gregor, there are two huge actors that can pull it off. Nathan Jones is 6'11 and Conan Stevens is 7+ feet. Either one of them will dwarf McCann. I'm hoping for Jones. He's thicker and has a better look for the part, imho.

I'm pretty sure Conan Stevens has auditioned for the role of The Mountain, just take a look at this from his official site: http://www.conanstevens.com/acting-movies-...s-audition.html

oh and a pic of the two side by side: http://www.conanstevens.com/component/opti...359319a013e920e

Archived