Chapter 2 of The Gathering Storm available

aidan

So...anybody listen to it and type it up yet? I am sure Tor wouldn't mind.

Oh, I am sure Tor* *would* mind. The first chapter was publicity for the ebook company and this verbal version was publicity fo the audio book version.

Tor, Harriet, BS, and the mods here. Its all about copywrite.

• 2 weeks later...
It was a great and glaring contrast to Rand in the previous chapter, and it seems clear that RJ wants to maintain this polarity of views in his major male and female protagonist.

I find this statement very strange. You can not possibly know what Jordan would have wanted to maintain. It may well be an interpretation by Sanderson of what he thinks Jordan would have wanted.

We can not be sure of any original intention. That's why I won't be reading it.

I find this statement very strange. You can not possibly know what Jordan would have wanted to maintain. It may well be an interpretation by Sanderson of what he thinks Jordan would have wanted.

We can not be sure of any original intention. That's why I won't be reading it.

Of course I can know. Jordan has been setting up the parallels between Egwene and Rand since book 4! This is a logical extension of it.

More importantly, RJ left notes which covered all such important decisions. And mirroring the character arcs of his main male and female protagonists is something RJ has given a lot of thought to since very early on, and is unlikely to have left out.

It baffles me how people will blind themselves to the fact that RJ worked till he had no breath in him so that this book will be out. It clearly meant a lot to him that the series be completed. He assured us he would leave all the necessary details, his loving relatives ensure us he did do so. His amanuensis has given us no reason to be alarmed.

Whatever your reason for not reading it, don't cheapen RJ heroic effort by saying we can have no clue what he intended.

*hails the prophet of the Jordan reborn, Dan Brown*

I gave up caring about the series when I lost my darling Justin so many moons ago, so the questions of what RJ outlined/wrote/plotted vs Brandon Sanderson really don't get me in a lather. In every single interview with RJ, he said he knew the last scene. I will read for that and because I hate leaving a series unfinished.

BULLSHIT.

Ok, a mod said it first, but - STILL. That's just so fucking wrong. That's like me justifying insider trading because I didn't know better, even though I should know better because I'm a CPA.

(If you don't follow the analogy, you're a serious sci-fi fan - or you wouldn't be here - and you're advocating something highly illegal).

I will wait 2.5 weeks to get the real book because I can't stand audio formats. That's how much it trumps "free" for me.

Oh calm down.

Just for everyone's information the Audio chapter was absolutely awful. If anything hearing it made me want to buy the audiobook even less than I did before (which was not at all), if I could have had any way around sitting through all three-quarters of a fucking hour of it I would have.

Whatever your reason for not reading it, don't cheapen RJ heroic effort by saying we can have no clue what he intended.

I certainly don't - but perhaps you have inside information.

One thing we can assume is that half the material that is presented to us now would not have been there in the one volume that Jordan told us he would finish with.

One thing we can assume is that half the material that is presented to us now would not have been there in the one volume that Jordan told us he would finish with.

"At present I am indeed hoping to complete the cycle in either

seven or eight books. I am 90% confident that I can do it in seven,

95% confident that I can by eight" - Robert Jordan, 1994.

(Source)

"At present I am indeed hoping to complete the cycle in either

seven or eight books. I am 90% confident that I can do it in seven,

95% confident that I can by eight" - Robert Jordan, 1994.

So? That proves my earlier point that none of us have a clue what

Jordan himself would have made of the ending.

Even if Sanderson includes material written by Jordan that means

little or nothing. Martin wrote lots of material for ASOIAF that he

later deleted or re-wrote because he was unhappy with it.

Let's face it - the plot will be more or less fixed, but for the rest

this is a different tale by a different man in a different tone.

So? That proves my earlier point that none of us have a clue what

Jordan himself would have made of the ending.

Even if Sanderson includes material written by Jordan that means

little or nothing. Martin wrote lots of material for ASOIAF that he

later deleted or re-wrote because he was unhappy with it.

Let's face it - the plot will be more or less fixed, but for the rest

this is a different tale by a different man in a different tone.

From what I understood the last chapter was written by RJ!

So that will be true to what RJ wanted.

Fionwe1987 thinks he can see the hand of Jordan in Sanderson's writing.

And I think that's nonsense.

Why? Sanderson, whose style in the first place isn't far from Jordan's anyway (although his pacing is far more focused) is writing Jordan's story from Jordan's notes using a style he has adapted to being more Jordan-esque in a book which is one-sixth the direct work of Jordan anyway. I would be more bemused if you couldn't detect any trace of Jordan in it at all.

I guess sometimes it is difficult to perceive sarcasm in printed material, but I was joking.

No, someone - I can't remember who now because it was ages ago = actually posted a direct link to the printed summary of the chapter, which is a copyright violation. That post was deleted.

Even if Sanderson includes material written by Jordan that means little or nothing. Martin wrote lots of material for ASOIAF that he later deleted or re-wrote because he was unhappy with it.

As far as we can tell, Jordan rarely deleted a chapter (or indeed, book) even when it was completely extraneous to the plot. Pretty much everything in the book I'm sure would have ended up in there anyway.

:sleep:

Pat, we know you've got a review copy of the book ;) A few people have it now. Hilariously, after all the fricking moaning about it, Tor have apparently decided not to enforce the street date after all, and several Barnes and Nobels and libraries in the USA have put it out already.

I'm guessing you're not liking it then?

Pat, we know you've got a review copy of the book ;) A few people have it now. Hilariously, after all the fricking moaning about it, Tor have apparently decided not to enforce the street date after all, and several Barnes and Nobels and libraries in the USA have put it out already.

I'm guessing you're not liking it then?

Has it been sighted in England?

Why? Sanderson, whose style in the first place isn't far from Jordan's anyway (although his pacing is far more focused) is writing Jordan's story from Jordan's notes using a style he has adapted to being more Jordan-esque in a book which is one-sixth the direct work of Jordan anyway. I would be more bemused if you couldn't detect any trace of Jordan in it at all.

Granted. But I just think at this point in time there is little sense in speculating what comes from Jordan's specific notes and what Sanderson wrote around it to make the story flow.

Perhaps someday the notes will be published and then we'll know. I would have been happier if that had been done instead of letting somebody else finish the story. A good thing for Tor that I don't make those decisions.

Has it been sighted in England?

Actually, yes. One English fan on RAFO reported that he'd rung his bookshop and they had some copies, but were under strict orders not to put it on sale before the street date. You'll probably find some who slipped through the net and have put the book out, as is happening now in the USA.

So much for the great mythical rigorously-enforced publishing embargo :rolleyes:

:D

Hopefully I'll be able to grab a copy then this week. I'm back home on holiday from university; next week I head back up to the back end of nowhere to continue drinking heavily.

Archived