Belfast signing 3rd November

Silverstar

Ooh, additional news point that I forgot earlier:

HBO have hired a dialogue coach and linguistics expert to create a working Dothraki vocabulary for the actors and extras to use in the Pentos scenes. They also have a working vocabulary guide which they handed out to the actors. As has been said many times before, GRRM isn't bothered about how readers pronounce words, but obviously they needed something moe consistent for the series, and he agreed to help them out with that.

Currently uploading 64 pictures from the moot, although there's a fair bit of red eye going on (the anti-red eye thing on my camera is bust, and seems to result in pics where everyone has their eyes closed, which admittedly prevents red eye but not in the manner intended) so I need to sort that out before presenting them for public perusal.

I'd forgotten this, but I caught Romulocks down on his knees doing the proposal as well :) Have to make sure I send him a copy as well.

Great job Silverstar and Werthead. You did a great job bringing it all to life on the board. It was the first time I had been to any event like this and I really enjoyed myself. It was great to put a face to the names that I have been talking to for the last while. By the way did you notice that Parris had her BWB tee shirt on?

Sorry I didn't make it in the end.

I'm feeling less shite to see you weren't there either..............

Love your clam.

Thanks for the post wert.

I knew I should have just quit my job and gone :P

OR NOT.

Oh yeah, in the print version of the Belfast Telegraph they have a picture of George signing a book for 'Logan Bruce', who I think said he was a board member and some spiel about the signing, the series and so on.

HBO have hired a dialogue coach and linguistics expert to create a working Dothraki vocabulary for the actors and extras to use in the Pentos scenes. They also have a working vocabulary guide which they handed out to the actors. As has been said many times before, GRRM isn't bothered about how readers pronounce words, but obviously they needed something moe consistent for the series, and he agreed to help them out with that.

Cool. If the series takes off, Dothraki may become the new Klingon. :D

I'm not surprised about the linguistics expert for the Dothraki, I even said they'd likely do that in some prior discussions on this stuff - they'll probably do it to for Valyrian, eventually. Sir Anthony Burgess did the languages for the original Star Wars, actually (yes, the author of A Clockwork Orange). Probably won't be needed until Dany gets to the slaver cities, where they speak a Valyrian dialect (I don't think it comes into the story much earlier, beyond the few words we've seen). Maybe a little here or there, but it may not be necessary to work out a whole vocabulary yet.

It was a good day, very cool of the cast members to hang out with us. I sat at a table with mostly females, and if the constant "Isn't he cute, isn't he giggly, isn't he nice, isn't he hot" was anything to go by, Richard Madden is going to be a big hit as Robb. Heh.

The girls playing Sansa and Arya were really cute, seemingly joined at the hip very much unlike their book counterparts. You would never think Sophie Turner was 13 to look at her, shes crazy tall and very pretty. Maise Williams was particularly likeable, precocious and chatty and I think will make a great Arya. At one point I heard Sophie teased about how she'd need to practice crying alot for playing Sansa, unlike Maise, who then piped up that she thought Arya was crying on the inside, which I thought was a nice little insight from her.

George was great, but that goes without saying. I didn't speak to him much but thats par for the course from me alas.

Finally a special shout out to the six and a half foot German guy, Alex, who came all the way to Belfast by way of Dublin on his lonesome for the signing and moot. He spoke, what seemed to me, perfectly legible English but was quite obviously having a hard time understanding all the crazy accents we were speaking in. I ran into him again the next morning on his way to catch a train. I hope he made it home safely. Obviously a big, and dedicated, fan.

Photobucket red-eye editing sucks. I had to give up using it on several pictures. Possibly appropriately, Maisie seems most prone to the demonic red eye glare :)

The dialect thing was mentioned several times by the actors, actually. Some of them were mispronouncing words and getting corrected by the others. George said HBO had asked him to help them out with the pronounciations but I don't think it was him talking about the Dothraki language thing. Might have been one of the actors talking about it coming up at the read-through. My mind's gone blank now.

Btw, I did mention to everyone I spoke to I was a member of the board, sometimes commented on the WiC blog etc, and if they did say something 'off the record' that's how it's staying, quite obviously. This wasn't one of them though (otherwise it would not have been brought up. I wasn't that drunk ;) )

Of course. Thanks, interesting stuff to know. I do like the seriousness with which they're approaching such a thing. Speaking of dialect, though, was there any talk about whether actors were told to speak with a particular dialect or not? Always wondered where McCann, in particular, would fit in as Sandor -- whether he'd move away from his native accent, or whether the production was working that into how they depicted various regions and classes.

GRRM himself mentioned that HBO had hired a linguistics expert to create Dothraki. :) That was really cool. So we'll have some subtitles when they talk.

And yes, great meet up. Delighted to see everyone. :thumbsup:

Mauberly had a good observation over at my blog. Seems like Ron Donachie is taking his role as Winterfell Master-at-Arms pretty seriously seeing as how he accompanied all the Stark kids to this signing! ;)

:lol:

I would guess there must have been at least 100 people at the signing. But I could so easily be wrong. Took over a hour to clear after GRRM started signing.

Archived