Belfast signing 3rd November

Silverstar

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone. I am not typically the type of person to be short of words (as my roomies will most likely attest to) but I was absolutely overwhelmed by the response my proposal received.

To Werthead, Silverstar, William, Knight of the Teabags, Jaime, SerMountainGoat and Padraig. I cannot thank you all enough for the kindness you showed. Absolutely amazing. You all are the best of people, and I was honored to meet you all. Room 11 was a memory I'm going to hold onto ;)

To everyone else, too many to mention by name, who congratulated us, shook our hands or offered us a drink, THANK YOU! Honestly, when I planned this whole thing out, that scenario was NOT what I had in mind. I had no idea that many members of the cast would be there, or that we would have that kind of a turnout. What a blast the whole night was! I started the day meeting George R. R. Martin and 6 key members of the cast, and I finished engaged with a hundred new friends.

Did all that really happen!? To some degree it feels like it happened to someone else...not me =P

And to top it all off, after I popped the question, my heart was still thumping out of my chest. Richard Madden came up with Ron Donachie and they both just had the NICEST things to say. Richard said he needed to take a step outside for a moment and I joined him to get some fresh air. Outside, just the two of us, we just sat there and chatted, talking about just anything and everything.

Let me say here publicly, I am now a HUGE Richard Madden fan. Not only did he look the part, his graciousness and kindness showed him to be a true Stark, through and through.

So let me wrap this up by saying thank you again, to everyone. Your receptiveness to a couple of yankees left absolutely nothing for want. I was welcomed, hugged and cheered by all. George easily has the best fans there ever were.

Now wish me luck on my 17 1/2 hour flight back home ;)

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone. I am not typically the type of person to be short of words (as my roomies will most likely attest to) but I was absolutely overwhelmed by the response my proposal received.

To Werthead, Silverstar, William, Knight of the Teabags, Jaime, SerMountainGoat and Padraig. I cannot thank you all enough for the kindness you showed. Absolutely amazing. You all are the best of people, and I was honored to meet you all. Room 11 was a memory I'm going to hold onto ;)

To everyone else, too many to mention by name, who congratulated us, shook our hands or offered us a drink, THANK YOU! Honestly, when I planned this whole thing out, that scenario was NOT what I had in mind. I had no idea that many members of the cast would be there, or that we would have that kind of a turnout. What a blast the whole night was! I started the day meeting George R. R. Martin and 6 key members of the cast, and I finished engaged with a hundred new friends.

Did all that really happen!? To some degree it feels like it happened to someone else...not me =P

And to top it all off, after I popped the question, my heart was still thumping out of my chest. Richard Madden came up with Ron Donachie and they both just had the NICEST things to say. Richard said he needed to take a step outside for a moment and I joined him to get some fresh air. Outside, just the two of us, we just sat there and chatted, talking about just anything and everything.

Let me say here publicly, I am now a HUGE Richard Madden fan. Not only did he look the part, his graciousness and kindness showed him to be a true Stark, through and through.

So let me wrap this up by saying thank you again, to everyone. Your receptiveness to a couple of yankees left absolutely nothing for want. I was welcomed, hugged and cheered by all. George easily has the best fans there ever were.

Now wish me luck on my 17 1/2 hour flight back home ;)

Good to meet you too, dude. Remember to grab those pics of you two from the pics I linked above, or PM me your email and I'll send you copies directly :)

Talking of which. I've just uploaded the

to YouTube.

Also includes some author talking about books and a tv show. ;)

Jackie.

Ooh, additional news point that I forgot earlier:

HBO have hired a dialogue coach and linguistics expert to create a working Dothraki vocabulary for the actors and extras to use in the Pentos scenes. They also have a working vocabulary guide which they handed out to the actors. As has been said many times before, GRRM isn't bothered about how readers pronounce words, but obviously they needed something moe consistent for the series, and he agreed to help them out with that.

Back in February I posted an article about Wolf Wikeley creating languages for Bioware. Perhaps they hired him?

Meant to ask - how did those that stayed at the Linen House find it? I've heard some pretty bad reviews but I guess you can never really know until you try it yourself. Everyone make it out in one piece? Or did Ice have to be unsheathed and some beheadings administered?! :fence:

Meant to ask - how did those that stayed at the Linen House find it? I've heard some pretty bad reviews but I guess you can never really know until you try it yourself. Everyone make it out in one piece? Or did Ice have to be unsheathed and some beheadings administered?! :fence:

It was adequate, and I suppose it was good value for money at only ÂŁ10 a night so it probably wasn't as bad as some of those TripAdvisor reviews linked to earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure I'd really recommend it either. Apparently the first room they tried to put us in had a broken window that wouldn't shut (not a good thing in Belfast in November) but Romulocks (the first to arrive) managed to persuade them to move us into a different room. The accommodation was fairly basic and the room was quite cramped, but for that price I guess both are expected. I don't really have any major complaints about it, but if I was going back to Belfast I'd probably investigate other options.

It was adequate, and I suppose it was good value for money at only ÂŁ10 a night so it probably wasn't as bad as some of those TripAdvisor reviews linked to earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure I'd really recommend it either. Apparently the first room they tried to put us in had a broken window that wouldn't shut (not a good thing in Belfast in November) but Romulocks (the first to arrive) managed to persuade them to move us into a different room. The accommodation was fairly basic and the room was quite cramped, but for that price I guess both are expected. I don't really have any major complaints about it, but if I was going back to Belfast I'd probably investigate other options.

Cheers. I was lucky that I lived quite close and was able to travel. I f I get a place closer, you're all invited to crash there next time!

So Vagabonds is another hostel I looked at. 15 euro a night, and it looked a MUCH better deal.

Also Arnies Backpackers did a room for a "tenner" and it seemed much more open to actual visitors.

I was unhappy with almost every part of the Linen House. Mostly because my hostel in Dublin was so incredibly fantastic. Anyone...if you visit Dublin, stay at Abbey Court. www.abbey-court.com

VERY nice. and 1o euro per night as well.

Hi all,

Finally back online for the first time since the signing, and just want to say how much I enjoyed meeting and chatting with all of you. I only wish I could have stayed in McHugh's until much later, it looked like fun from the photos.

I didn't get a chance to chat to you in person Rimshot, so I'll thank you here for all your work arranging this.

And Romulocks, congrats again to you and your fiancee.

Hopefully we'll see you all here in Belfast again soon.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Three weeks in the making, it is finally complete - my report on both the Belfast and Dublin meet ups are now available on my brand new website for Worldcon and BWB meet up Reports.

The site includes public discussion threads in Google Wave and I will shortly be starting threads here on the board as well.

Three weeks in the making, it is finally complete - my report on both the Belfast and Dublin meet ups are now available on my brand new website for Worldcon and BWB meet up Reports.

The site includes public discussion threads in Google Wave and I will shortly be starting threads here on the board as well.

It is very detailed... scarily so actually. I am a little bit worried about having the details about having the details of what I ate on the thursday morning on the internet, but hats off to you anyway giving us all such a fine report on the moots!

Archived