Belfast signing 3rd November

Silverstar

Thank you for your helpful answers. Once I get the green light for my holidays from my boss, I'll confirm you my presence in the signing and the post-party. See you (hopefully) in november!

I'm posting this on behalf of serMountainGoat.

I can confirm that I will definitely make the Belfast meet and I am considering the Dublin meet as well.

But with regards to the Belfast meet those of us coming in from out of town need some accommodation for the night. I think it is always best with these things to get a group of people together in one place rather than everyone having their own separate hotel or B&B room. Not only can a group booking be cheaper and more practical it can also be more fun.

I know Silverstar is also looking for overnight accommodation, but before we start looking and making plans does anybody else need a place to stay and would you consider sharing with strange people from the Internet whom you have never met before? If the answers are yes and yes then make yourself known here and once we have an idea of numbers we can see what is available.

So could anyone looking for accommodation in Belfast and interested in seeing if we can get some kind of group booking let us know, and we'll see what there is available?

Ta :)

So could anyone looking for accommodation in Belfast and interested in seeing if we can get some kind of group booking let us know, and we'll see what there is available?

Ta :)

I don't know about group bookings but I was looking at the Europa Hotel. Seems pretty central and it's where the bus from the airport drops you off. Got an historic pub across the road too! ;)

Jac - still swithering on the plans!

Weighing in late - sorry. I will be up for this one with some other folks that I will be working with over that period of time. I realy like Botanic up here in Belfast - it;s a great area but not necessarily that central for us ( wicked burrito place tho , Parris).

So, The Europa is nice but very pricey in the bar department - there is the Crown just opposite, which has great art work, Parris you would love it. It has booths tho so maybe not for a big group gathering. More thoughts soon.

Hey Rimshot ( Really ?... ) I am working YH too - cast or crew ? Shit have we been talking to each other - Hamish is that you ... ???

just a quick update - have many people to respond to thru emails and pms to catch up and then do a count of how many folks we're expecting -

George has confirmation that the Belfast signing is at the Eason's at 20 Donegall Place,

Belfast, BT1 3BA.

and the store is willing to take orders for books to be signed by GRRM if you or someone you know is unable to get to the signing. This signing is not restricted to the Vance antho or the ASOI&F series, so if you want copies of FEVRE DREAM, the WILD CARDS series, WINDHAVEN. DREAMSONGS, or other titles, give them a call NOW and ask them for specific titles. They'll have enough time to order those titles and have them on hand for George to sign for you in person or by order to pick up later. (Didn't check this, but most bookstores will also ship to customers for regular shipping costs).

Eason's Belfast phone number :02890 235070

[email protected]

I've said this before, and will probably say it again:

BUY A NEW BOOK FROM THE BOOKSTORES THAT ARE SPENDING TIME AND MONEY TO ORGANIZE AND HOST THESE SIGNINGS.

Yes, you can bring your beloved and battered AGoT pb for George to sign. We both have a lot of affection for those tattered tomes. Shows that somebody has read and re-read and carried around to read some more that specific book. But the stores that make the effort to arrange for authors to visit the store need and deserve sales on the day of the event. If you have other questions about the usual 'rules' at a booksigning, please see my previous post in another thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1921855

Looks like we already have close to a couple of dozen folks up for the moot, and currently a 6pm start is looking like a clear winner. I've been able to gather a few notes on other SF groups and events, still looking for more to put on the flyer.

more soon, the Red Cuteness is blocking my view of the laptop screen and I must submit to her demands.

Got my holidays officially aproved. Definitely, I'll be in the signing and the meet.

Unfortunately, I went right away to book flight and accommodation before coming here, so I'm too late to follow Silverstar and SerMountainGoat's idea. However, still in time to join to any cultural visit group in the city if any is organised.

I have a couple of days holiday that I need to take sometime between now and Christmas, and I live relatively close to an airport that has very cheap flights to Belfast. I also missed GRRM's signings on his last visit to Britain so the idea of coming along to the signing does sound quite tempting.

If someone is arranging a group booking for accommodation then I might be interested.

Yay, I'm finally approved, and I'm really pleased to have discovered this place.

My SO and I would be really interested in coming along to the meet-up after the Belfast signing (we are only up the road) so count an extra two in the numbers please :thumbsup:

And I was wondering if you might end up with more people than you expect, as there is no way to confirm interest unless you are an approved forum member, and I know people outside of the forum have heard about the meet. I'm just thinking of how swamped the Gaiman signing was in Dublin...

I'm off to catch up on lots of threads now :)

Iylliana/Angie

If someone is arranging a group booking for accommodation then I might be interested.

Excellent - it will be good to see you again William. I am going to start looking at accommodation this weekend so if anyone is interested in joining us now is the time to speak up.

Welcome to the board Iylliana and I think you are probably right about how busy and semi-chaotic it might be, but that's how we like it :)

Yay, I'm finally approved, and I'm really pleased to have discovered this place.

My SO and I would be really interested in coming along to the meet-up after the Belfast signing (we are only up the road) so count an extra two in the numbers please :thumbsup:

And I was wondering if you might end up with more people than you expect, as there is no way to confirm interest unless you are an approved forum member, and I know people outside of the forum have heard about the meet. I'm just thinking of how swamped the Gaiman signing was in Dublin...

I'm off to catch up on lots of threads now :)

Iylliana/Angie

I think Parris is planning to hand out flyers at the signing inviting people to come across to the meet, so likely we will, but it's always good to have at least some idea of if there's an interest :)

I'll add you to the list. See you in Belfast.

Hello!

I've been in touch with McHughs today so the current details are...

We have the basement room from 6pm - 1am. If people arrive earlier I'm sure it won't be a problem to start using the room.

The basement bar will be staffed for drinks and bar food from the main bar will be available to us.

The room will be booked under 'GRRM & Friends'. There may be signs up but ask any member of staff and they will direct you.

McHughs is approx 10 mins walk from Eason and is beside the Albert Clock. Anyone in Belfast will be able to direct you.

Can I encourage you to eat at McHughs as they rely on custom just like anyone else and they have been very helpful. And also Belfast pub grub is hard to beat!! Just be careful not to put your greasy fingers all over your lovely new signed book!

Hope to see you there!

Rimshot

An idle web check reveals that a flight to Belfast on the 3rd and back on the 4th would cost somewhat less than the price of the bus ticket to Stansted. Will have to think about this :)

Hi, just to say that my boyfriend and I will definately attending the meet so thats two more for the list :) We live in Belfast so if anyone needs any advice about the city please feel free to ask. Regarding accomadation, the Europa is lovely but pretty expensive. Theres a Premier Inn and a Holiday Inn which are probably better value. Luckily Belfast is such a small city that as long as your staying in or near the city centre, your pretty much in walking distance or a short taxi journey from everything.

This may be a silly question (ive never been to an author signing before), but will the Easons where the signing is taking place be getting in a lot more copies of GRR Martin's books or would it be better to ring them up in advance and order a copy for the signing ? We were in it yesterday and they didnt have many copies out so was just wondering. They do a lot of author signings there but I think this one could be surprisingly big; I certainly hope so :)

This may be a silly question (ive never been to an author signing before), but will the Easons where the signing is taking place be getting in a lot more copies of GRR Martin's books or would it be better to ring them up in advance and order a copy for the signing ? We were in it yesterday and they didnt have many copies out so was just wondering. They do a lot of author signings there but I think this one could be surprisingly big; I certainly hope so :)

Whenever I've been to a book signing they've had a big stack of the author's books at the front to be bought so I imagine there will be plenty. I suppose if you want to buy one of the less obvious GRRM books (i.e. something that's not ASOIAF or the new Dying Earth book) then it might be safest to order that in advance, since I'm not sure how many copies of his older books they might have.

Right, I think I'm going to do this. Was any decision made on booking a room at the hostel? I looked up the one linked earlier and it looks pretty decent and well within my price range (this is probably the cheapest flight and general adventure I've ever attempted to make :) Which is saying something.

My original plan had been to scoot in first thing, go to the signing, then a pub or sightseeing for the afternoon, then the party, then on the flight back first thing the next day, until I remembered I'm not 18 any more ;) A slightly saner plan is to get the late flight on the 2nd, spend two nights in the hostel (2nd and 3rd) and then fly back around lunchtime on the 4th, so I think that's going to be the plan :cheers:

Archived