Belfast signing 3rd November

Silverstar

I have stayed in the Linen House about a dozen times in the last few weeks. The only problem I had was a snoring sea captain one night. You are not going to get better for 6.50 sterling - just sayin.

I've been staying at The Linen House since the 8th. How did I not recognize another Ice & Fire fan by sight? The place isn't that bad and certainly worth 6.50 a night.

Okay, so it might be worth checking out that place.

Looking through the reviews a number of the complaints are actually about the other guests rather than the actual hostel. Agreed that the hostel should sort those issues out, but if the people you're sharing the room with have stuck odorous socks on the window ledge, that's probably more their fault :)

If a group of us manage to get a shared room between us, that should hopefully not be a problem.

Hi all,

Sorry for piping in so late. Is it still possible to add myself and my partner to the guest list?

I've just had a look at flights and it looks like I can get a return ticket from Bristol to Belfast for just 16euros :) At that price how could I not attend?

Also could anyone who lives in or knows Belfast well recommend a good hotel relatively near McHugh's? I'm not looking for anything extravagant as I'm only a humble student. A nice B&B or any premier inn / travellodge type place will do.

Thanks in advance and, assuming all goes well, I hope to see you all soon :)

-Nick

OK I have just purchased flights into Belfast on the 3rd and out of Dublin on the 6th which means I am committed to attending both meets.

So next thing is to sort out accommodation, still looking, still thinking about it. The question is where do I spend the Wednesday night - Belfast or Dublin?

Is there anyone else doing this crazy attend both events thing and if so when are you travelling between the two? If anyone is going to drive and can offer a lift that would be grand, or if you're taking the train that could be a plan as well. Let me know please.

Hey All! I'm travelling from Australia to come along... on holiday in Belfast...

who am i kidding, i'm coming for the pilot!

However i have also got my fingers crossed on being a horse riding extra... or any extra for that matter!

I will be attending the signing and would like to attend the moot as well, if possible.

if there's anything i can do/bring be more then happy to.

just let me know :cheers:

Mitch Jones

Can you add another one to the count for me Silverstar? Thanks.

I've been thinking of where I could recommend for you guys to stay, as I live in Belfast. But, as I live in Belfast I don't stay in hotels or hostels in the City! But, from what I have seen of the bar, reception and meeting room accommodation, I would say that you should be well catered for in the Europa, the Travelodge, Holiday Inn or Jurys. All of them are in or close to the centre, and not the dearest, but not as cheap as hostels.

I think that Belfast International Youth Hostel is a good cheap hostel. It does much better on the Trip Advisor than the Linen House Hostel. It is on Shaftesbury Square, about a mile from the City Centre.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I think that Belfast International Youth Hostel is a good cheap hostel. It does much better on the Trip Advisor than the Linen House Hostel. It is on Shaftesbury Square, about a mile from the City Centre.

It's definitely better reviewed than the Linen House, the only negative is that it is a bit further away from the signing but doesn't look too far. That said, I'm a bit less wary about the Linen House now it has a positive review from someone I know which counts for more than negative reviews from anonymous Trip Advisor reviewers.

For anyone wanting to travel from Dublin to Belfast or vice versa just a little warning - part of the railway line is 'broken' somewhere in between for which there is a bus substitue in place. Just to let you know so you're not surprised when they turf you out of the train half way there - I don't know the specifics as I don't have to use it myself, but just to give you a heads up.

Just a little more detail on the train thing - a viaduct across the Malahide (Broadmeadow) Estuary collapsed back in August, and they're working on it, but it won't be fixed for a few weeks* yet. This means that there are busses running between Dublin's Connolly Station (from/to the carpark, not the station itself!) and Drogheda station which run just under an hour. The rest of the journey is done by train, and takes apparently just under two hours.

You can get more details here, and check out the actual departure times: http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

There are also timetables on the UK transit company's site if you want to scope out the other direction: http://www.translink.co.uk/

*They're estimating it'll be reopened at the end of November. I'll believe it when I see it, but it's too late for the signings in any case.

I've been looking at this information now since winter-is-coming announced that there would even possibly be a signing in Ireland. My girlfriend and I have been doing research on travel and lodging since then and really haven't come to any definite conclusions.

In Dublin we will be staying at Abbey Court Hostel. www.abbey-court.com It seems like a really nice place for the money. I don't have many questions surrounding Dublin.

In Belfast I looked at The Linen House, but it just doesn't look near as comfortable or clean as I'd like. Also, like another poster or two said, the reviews on the place are downright aweful. Honestly, I'm looking at Arniesbackpackers (www.arniesbackpackers.co.uk). It's not much further away, and looks quite a bit nicer to me, but again....I'm very quick to acknowledge I know nothing (I'm from Kentucky...). I'm all aboard on that group rate idea, but after my 1000$ plane tickets, food, and other travel expenses, Im trying to sleep for next to nothing. If anyone has any great ideas, or knows better places to stay, I am all ears.

Hell, I'll sleep in any 8-bed Room as long as it's 6 other ASoIaF Fans!! This really should be an absolute blast, and I'm looking forward to it more and more with every minute.

Sorry to double-post here

But if you guys think the Linen House is fine, then we'd be game for that to. Somebody shoot them an email and ask about reserving one room just for GRRM Friends as well ;)

Who knows, they might offer a group rate, they might not, either way, we feel a lot better about the whole thing, and the conversations in the common room should be a blasty blast ;)

Hi, Just thought I'd say that after staying at a lot of HI Hostels in the States, they're very good, and while the Belfast one is a bit far from the signing and the meet, it might be an idea to ask them about group booking. (They require advance warning of groups more than 6)

I'd be happy to ask them, but maybe someone else would like to? I don't know how many people are looking for a place to stay, or on what dates. Incidentally the cost of the hostel is 11 pounds a night and the website is here: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Belfa...l-029002.en.htm

The heck with it, I'll go ahead and ask the Hostel about group bookings, maybe my HI Membership card will cover us all? :thumbsup:

Hey boys and girls I'll be in Belfast as of this Friday... Will be sampling a few hostels over the next couple of weeks... Can give you all a heads up on which ones are the better choices and such... Do any of the ground work that's required by my fellow fans if needs be? Let me know!

Ps my gf stayed at the Belfast international previously and said it was a very crappy vibe, bit straighty-one-eighty, no alchol etc...

Archived