Drogo cast?

Werthead

Thanks for the pictures :) . Yeah, his scars will only serve him for the character, that's good.

According to Wikipedia, he

is the only child of a Native Hawaiian father and an German-Irish American mother

So, forget the Mongols, Avars or Huns ; in the end, the dothrakis are a quarter Irish, quarter German and half Hawaiian people ? Well, that comes as a surprise, we could have spend a very long time trying to pinpoint their true-life models. ;)

Hawaiian culture, being Polynesian in origin, actually does have a tradition of war dances/chants -- it's called the ha'a there, and it's become more prominent since the All Black's use of the haka has led sports teams throughout Polynesia to resurrect their own versions. The University of Hawaii football team has been using the ha'a for awhile.

Momoa is pretty deeply interested in traditional culture, given the name of his son, Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa.

Wow. I like him. I think he's very Drogo'ish. As long as I don't personally see his dislike of horses in character, he can hate 'em for eternity. I like his look, though.

He's a professional and there will probably be a Dothraki boot camp for the actors who have to ride, heck, probably a riding boot camp for a lot of the other actors.

Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffudd, Ray Stevenson and company didn't ride before they shot King Arthur, but they taught the guys to ride in short order.

Sean Bean rides well enough with all his work on Sharpe.

I was upset when GRRM finished off Drogo, being a horse person myself, he was one of my favorites. At least GRRM did it in a very spectacular manner.

Glad to read that Jason has read and really liked the books.

I don´t know if Jason will look oriental enough, with drooping mustachios and long braided hair, that they could have Moroccan extras for the Dothraki scenes. It would seem like a lot of expense to ship that many people to morocco from somewhere else. Like Polynesian. I think they decided they could make him look middle eastern enough to use Moroccan extras.

He's a professional and there will probably be a Dothraki boot camp for the actors who have to ride, heck, probably a riding boot camp for a lot of the other actors.

Yes, I was a little worried by the WiC post that said he didn't like horses and didn't know how to ride. That sort of thing comes across very clearly on screen - i can't even tell you how it irks me when people in movies who are supposed to ride well ride terribly. It ruins the entire suspension of disbelief for me; I fixiate on it. I was mightily happy that most everyone in LOTR got mad riding lessons beforehand - it was obvious on screen that everyone was comfortable on horseback.

Yes, I was a little worried by the WiC post that said he didn't like horses and didn't know how to ride. That sort of thing comes across very clearly on screen - i can't even tell you how it irks me when people in movies who are supposed to ride well ride terribly. It ruins the entire suspension of disbelief for me; I fixiate on it. I was mightily happy that most everyone in LOTR got mad riding lessons beforehand - it was obvious on screen that everyone was comfortable on horseback.

I felt that way about King Arthur as well. The had a little report on the bootcamp in the extras on that DVD. Believe me, Clive Owen had never been on a horse before. Gruffudd, who's posture is never wonderful was absolutely slumped on the horse's back. I have to watch that again to remember who was the worst. But due to lessons and superbly trained horses and the fact that they're not riding something like dressage, they brought it off in the film. They gave Ioan the most fractious of the mounts, and he almost slid off the back of his rearing horse.

I'm sure that they had to do that with LOTR as well, except perhaps for Viggo.

A lot of folks profess dislike of horses through only a slight exposure to them. We'll have to see. It's lack of confidence in the face of a huge animal.

Mortensen's basically the only modern actor I've ever seen who really did look like a born horseman. In fact, seeing him in The Two Towers (like how he handled the horse as the wargs were attacking the Rohirrim, in the moment when he paused to look back to Éowyn and then raced off) just made it obvious how inexperienced everyone else was.

I would not expect that level of horsemanship anyone but extras in GoT.

I would not expect that level of horsemanship anyone but extras in GoT.

I beg to differ. Perhaps not for the pilot, but thereafter? We're talking a medieval world here. Jon, Robb, Jamie, Dany? I think certain characters who need to spend a lot of time on horseback will naturally get better over time. Especially if the show lasts for a few seasons.

There's a difference between being a good rider, and just looking like a flat out natural on orseback. No doubt the actors will get fairly good at riding horses, but that's not the same thing.

You can't train that the reason Vigo looks so good is because he actually loves riding horses.

I read AGOT for the first time last year and Drogo WAS Jason Momoa in my mind from his first scene. It was probably the dreadlocks that made the association for me but he showed in SG:A that he could play a warrior with ease and his physique seems to be perfect for a horse-riding warrior - tough enough to kick your ass but not too big to break a horse's back.

If this is confirmed it will tie with Peter Dinklage as the most perfect casting decision.

I was initially worried about his comment about not liking horses but then I realised they only need him to be on a horse while it's walking (I'm sure there's a specific horse term for that). If they decide to show Drogo fighting on horseback (we never did in the books) they'll just get a stund double and if you stick dreads on him we'll most likely be fooled. Most of Drogo's important scenes do not involve horses.

*points to upper left sidebar*

It's been confirmed. :)

Excellent! I think he'll be great. He didn't speak much in Atlantis either so I think he can do the physical acting required at first (as long as he practices whatever the dothraki language will be)

Hmm yeees as a woman I find myself quite comfortable with the idea of very young girls being forced into marriages with adult men *as long as the guy's good looking* :rolleyes:

I find it a bit creepy that they did pick a very good looking guy for this role, hard to put my finger on why a gross guy would be better though........ I guess it IS the idea that they would think the 'harsh reality' would be softened by the fact the guy is attractive .... yukky.

Bit more concerned about the not liking horses comment ..... (would have been nice if he could look somewhat naturally at home on a horse) ....... maybe it was a joke! :stunned:

He has a good look for Drogo.

And the fact that he is very good looking will probably help people (women) accept Dany/Drogos romantic relationship. Oh, and yeah, i believe it did turn out to be the real deal between them in the books.

Pretty cool. Just about everyone they've cast has been in-line with my "how I imagined them", which is rare.

I'm gald they went for this guy rather than one of the huge, scry-ish boxers that people have been kicking about. Dany does sort of decide shes in love with him eventually, and thats going to be much more convingly passed off (for a guy who communicates in grunts and burns stuff for entertainment) if he's fairly conventionally good looking.

droizberg - i'm with you, their marriage is creepy as fuck, but that dany manages to persevere, and even be somehwat happy in it and (more importantly in the long term, with dothraki culture) speaks a lot to her character and that she cares enough about Drogo eventually to try and revive him is a pretty important plot point. So I don't get the idea that Drogo its a simple role at all - this guy needs to be scary and imposing and genuinely barbaric, but also nice enough to convince Dany she really feels something for him (whether its the real deal or no is one of the great little subtelties of the book, and i'll be impressed if they manage to keep it.) all without much talking, and possibly with a giant mustache.

Archived