Nobel Peace Prize

I've been questionin some of the awards these past years, but Barack Obama? What were they thinking? He's been in office less than a year, and haven't really achieved anything yet.

Yes, there has been a slide towards rewarding people for things they hope they will be doing the future.I can understand the thinking, but feel it diminishes the prize.

Wow, that came out of nowhere.

I guess that it's a bet on the future for the committee.

As for Obama, that should serve him well on the diplomatic stage, adding weight to any task he would undertake.

I kind of see where the committee is going with this, giving the prize to him in the hope that he will grow into it, using the prestige it will give him ; but that's still a huge surprise.

I get the impression that he hasn't really achieved anything yet. He talks pretty, but the results have yet to come. And that's no wonder since he has been president for less than a year.

Very, very surprising.

Count me in with those who were really, really surprised. I like the guy but he hasn't actually accomplished much yet since he hasn't been president that long, it's kind of ridiculous to give him the Nobel Peace prize. I feel this is going to boost some people's negative ideas about Obama, since he hasn't done anything to deserve this.

Um, what? I guess the bar must have reeeeally been lowered under Bush, if all you have to do, to qualify, is be a US president who isn't a warmongering cretin.

I don't think we realised how low the bar had been lowered till not doing anything about the Iran thing felt like a move of tremendous political acumen instead of just common sense.

He hasn't started a war yet, which I guess is good enough. It's been a long 8 years.

Here's the NY Times article providing some of the reasoning for the selection. It's basically starry-eyed optimism -- it's not about his accomplishments but the fact that he's returned to multilateral diplomacy and negotiation; i.e., he's not George Bush. I suppose after 8 years of that particular reign, it's easy to come off looking very good in international diplomacy circles.

I think it's too soon. He should have gotten through his first term at least. Changing the climate for cooperation in nine months is great and all, but at the end of the day, it actually has to lead to positive results. For all we know, the bubble of international cooperation will burst in the next three months and we'll be right back where we started. I don't think that will happen, I think he's the real deal when it comes to international diplomacy, but he's only just gotten started.

It hasn't been widely advertised but the Bush administration actually played nice in their second term. Bush fired most of the neocons and did a u-turn in his foreign policy after his re-election but the public doesn't seem to have noticed.

It was noticed, but he only scrambled back from the biggest clusterfucks when it was already way too late. You don't get props for abandoning a sinking ship, it's common sense that you do. And he offended way too many people with his simplistic good-or-evil talk and Cheneys constant fear-mongering.

Archived