Pratchett II: The Wrath of Om

Werthead

New plot synopsis for Snuff:

According to the writer of the best-selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, and occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snuff-Sir-Terry-Pratchett/dp/038561926X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298207934&sr=1-1

Oh God, not more bloody Vimes.

The last Vimes/Watch book was Thud!, which was six years ago. Don't see a problem with another Vimes book at all, especially since it looks a bit like Terry Pratchett wants to put "closure" to the major storylines while he can.

I guess I don't understand the negative reviews Thud! gets. (though on Amazon its 4.5 stars out of 5) Its perfectly consistent with all the other Watch books. Aside from Night Watch, its one of my favorites. In fact, I thought the last passage would have been a great way to end Vimes's story, had Pratchett so chosen.

Of course, there's the whole Carrot-will-he-be-king thing to resolve, but it doesn't sound like that will happen in this next book.

I was never that mad about Vimes to begin with to be honest. I found him sanctimonious and passive agressive and Oh My God the inverse snobbery. I read the books despite him, cos I love Ankh-Morpork and I love the series.

By this stage I literally have zero interest left in the character at all. He's highly successful, a husband and father, and revered by his team. Good for him. But what closure is there left to find?? What else is there to explore with this guy that we haven't already?

I love Vimes, but am slightly on the side of there being too much of him. Whatever, if it's a good book I will be happy. I am really craving some more Witches. I always forget about the Tiffany Aching books though, so I think I just need to check those out to cure that itch. I've only read Wee Free Men and loved it.

I may be a minority in that I think Rincewind is tolerable, but don't look forward to reading those books. I'd also vote for more death - specifically Susan.

While I love Death, and Susan is strong, some of the weakest books, imo, have been Susan ones. Soul Music is highly cliche, with lots of "easy" jokes. Hogfather always seemed forced(though Teatime is awesome). And the only thing i really liked about Thief of Time was the chocolate warfare.

But as someone said earlier, we all have our favorite Pratchett books, and most I know are firm on what is the best.

While I love Death, and Susan is strong, some of the weakest books, imo, have been Susan ones. Soul Music is highly cliche, with lots of "easy" jokes. Hogfather always seemed forced(though Teatime is awesome). And the only thing i really liked about Thief of Time was the chocolate warfare.

But as someone said earlier, we all have our favorite Pratchett books, and most I know are firm on what is the best.

Soul Music didn't resonate with me really, but I loved Hogfather. It's in my top five, along with Feet of Clay, Lords and Ladies, The Fifth Elephant and The Truth.

Do read the remaining Tiffany Aching books, A Hatfull of Sky and I Shall Wear Midnight are some truly terrific top form Discworld books (though the latter mirrors the former).

My favorites (I think Nation is my absolutely favorite Pratchett, btw) are:

Night Watch

Small Gods

The Truth

A Hatful of Sky

Hogfather

Do read the remaining Tiffany Aching books, A Hatfull of Sky and I Shall Wear Midnight are some truly terrific top form Discworld books (though the latter mirrors the former).

My favorites (I think Nation is my absolutely favorite Pratchett, btw) are:

Night Watch

Small Gods

The Truth

A Hatful of Sky

Hogfather

Your top 4 match with mine. Then I go with Lords and Ladies or Colour of Magic.

It's interesting: The Watch Books to me tend to be strong, but not among the best.

(My five favourites would be Hogfather, Small Gods, Witches Abroad, Going Postal and The Truth) the watch books tends to always be among the stronger.

Death books are a bit more varying, with only Hogfather being truly great, Witches tends to be either amazing or kind of dull.

Of the Rincewind books I'd actually say the first ones (Color of Magic & Light Fantastic) are the best. Rincewind works less well when he gets outside the straighforward fantasy parody (although Eric is also decent) both Interesting Times, the Last Continent and Sourcery were kind of meh.

Likewise I kind of think the witches are best when they deal with the nature of stories (hence Witches Abroad and Wyrd Sisters) but as Granny becomes more and more invincible it kind of loses it's charm. And the Tiffany Aching books are really not my favourites. (they kind of edge into preachiness without the self-distance a lot of his earlier preaching has)

Ah, more Vimes, excellent!

I fall firmly into the love Vimes and love the Watch books camp. I'm also a devotee of Thud! specifically, particularly the ending. That said, I do agree that Thud! made a nice end-point for the Vimes saga, and I'm interested to see what Pratchett can accomplish in telling another Vimes story. I'm also kind of worried at how solitary Vimes sounds in that blurb -- even though Pratchett doing country detective should be awesome -- as I like the Watch crew just as much as Vimes, and think they're important to balance him and make the books work.

Whatever, I trust entirely in Pratchett; his genius has rarely steered me astray.

Finished I Shall Wear Midnight the other day and loved it. I get how people could find them a little more message-heavy, these young adult books; they very clearly have points to make and are unafraid of making them in fairly didactic ways. But Pratchett's writing's so graceful, so fun, that I find it really works. I'm being talked to by someone intelligent whose got opinions, not preached at. And it's really important shit these ya books are talking about too; Pratchett goes some fairly heavy places [the pervasiveness of hatred, domestic abuse, etc], both here and in Nation.

Ah, more Vimes, excellent!

I fall firmly into the love Vimes and love the Watch books camp. I'm also a devotee of Thud! specifically, particularly the ending. That said, I do agree that Thud! made a nice end-point for the Vimes saga, and I'm interested to see what Pratchett can accomplish in telling another Vimes story. I'm also kind of worried at how solitary Vimes sounds in that blurb -- even though Pratchett doing country detective should be awesome -- as I like the Watch crew just as much as Vimes, and think they're important to balance him and make the books work.

I dunno, the country detective usually has a sidekick. I'm betting he sends for Angua.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived