Pratchett II: The Wrath of Om

Werthead

It saddens me too. It was still readable, and probably not quite as bad as The Last Continent, but god, I hated it. The last third did not redeem matters either, despite one further moment of poignancy near the end. Such a shame. Lords & Ladies is one of my favourite books of all time, and this was like a feeble made-for-TV remake. :crying:

The afterword does point out that Terry had only finished an early draft of the book. Under normal circumstances there'd be a lot more polishing and revision.

Still, not encouraging. Lords and Ladies is also one of my favourite books (the Schroedinger's cat scene is still brilliant) and I was hoping for more from a direct sequel. I've got a way before I get to it though, as I haven't read any of the previous Tiffany Aching books yet.

Get real. Terry Pratchett is not a literary genius

It does not matter to me if Terry Pratchett’s final novel is a worthy epitaph or not, or if he wanted it to be pulped by a steamroller. I have never read a single one of his books and I never plan to. Life’s too short.

Oh dear,another literary snob. :rolleyes: And he proudly claims not to have read a single work! :laugh:

oh,and he's also a bit pissed about there being more online reaction to the deaths of Pratchett and Bradbury as compared to Marquez and Grass.

Oh dear,another literary snob. :rolleyes: And he proudly claims not to have read a single work! :laugh:

oh,and he's also a bit pissed about there being more online reaction to the deaths of Pratchett and Bradbury as compared to Marquez and Grass.

Rather gratifying to see that the people commenting are a lot more rational than Jones and rather scathing of his article though.

Responding article by Sam Jordison
http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/aug/31/terry-pratchett-opposite-of-ordinary-potboiler-jonathan-jones

Yeah srsly. "I haven't read it, I'm not going to read it, but intuitively I know it's shit, so everyone is stupid for being more upset about Pratchett than they were about Marquez, because the loss of a True Novelcrafter is objectively more sad and you plebs are just too dumb to realise it". Even the Lemmings bothered to actually read some Goodkind books before we started trashing the guy. Astonishingly bad "journalism".

Translation:

"Clickety-Click Bait: Please Click on Me for Momentary Outrage at my Intentional (fake) Stupidity."

By Jonathan "Desperate to Up His Page Views for The Guardian" Jones

ETA: To be clear, my sarcasm is directed at the article author, not at all against the poster. 

Translation:

"Clickety-Click Bait: Please Click on Me for Momentary Outrage at my Intentional (fake) Stupidity."

By Jonathan "Desperate to Up His Page Views for The Guardian" Jones

Like button clicked.

I'm very much looking forward to picking up my copy today! I'm anticipating a melancholy, yet happy read...

For some reason the first lines of "So, we'll go no more a roving" are in my head.  :crying:

Night Watch
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Feet of Clay
Hat Full of Sky
Witches Abroad
Mort
Color of Magic
Wyrd Sisters
I Shall Wear Midnight

List subject to change whenever I feel like it. Reaper Man gets an honorable mention because half of it was almost the best thing Pratchett has written, but the wizard storyline tied to it is dreck.

So four of them I haven't read: Small Gods. Lords and Ladies, Feet of Clay, Witches Abroad. Although I think at some stage I should reread the Tiffany Aching books. Oh Wailey Whit a lot ay readin'. :P

In terms of the Tiffany Aching books at least my list from best to worst would be Wintersmith>Hat Full of Sky>I shall wear midnight>The Wee Free Men. Haven't read the new one. I think the first three in my list are all of a pretty similar quality and Wee Free Men is the least impressive.
(Incidentally, I read them in the wrong order, starting with Wintersmith which had presumably just been released, since I had the hardback edition. Then I read Hat full of Sky, then the Wee Free Men, then I shall wear midnight. I know, shoot me)

Right folks give me your top ten books. I want to read some more Pratchett. I've probably only read 1/3 ish of them.

Night Watch, The Truth, Feet of Clay, Men at Arms, Raising Taxes, Thief of Time, Guards! Guards!, Jingo, Lords and Ladies, Small Gods.

I do love how everyone has different lists of their top Pratchetts. I wouldn't rate either The Colour of Magic or Thief of Time (the latter has a promising premise but the execution is just crappy), so instead I'll suggest these mid-list ones (in addition to the other great ones listed):

Hogfather
Sourcery
Carpe Jugulum (this one gets a lot of hate but I still really like it)
Monstrous Regiment
Interesting Times

My actual top 10 starts with Night Watch and Lords & Ladies, goes through Witches Abroad and Small Gods, and probably Hogfather and Reaper Man despite the aforementioned dubious sideplot, but the rest are subject to much alteration depending on mood. The only ones I would NOT recommend are The Last Continent, Eric, The Colour of Magic and sadly now The Shepherd's Crown, the rest all have at least something to recommend them.

And of course, Good Omens!

I also love how different the Pratchett tastes run.  I join you in not understanding the way Carpe Jugulum gets a lot of hate yet differ from you as I still can't figure out how Hogfather makes almost every top 5 list (I struggle with every Susan book despite loving the character of Susan).  I also adore Color of Magic but I almost don't consider it a Discworld book, at least not in style.  The Light Fantastic is the first book of the series that feels like the later books, change a couple of names in TCOM and and you would never know Pratchett wrote it. 

Universally I think we can all agree The Last Continent just doesn't belong.  

Night Watch

Reaper Man

Guards Guards!

Lords & Ladies

The Truth

Small Gods

Going Postal

Thud!

Hogfather

Mort

Favourite sub-series is the Watch by far.

Agreed with Min - I really like Monstrous Regiment, Carpe Jugulum and Interesting Times but they don't seem to get mentioned much. Mind you, I quite enjoyed Last Continent as a bit of silliness.

Also quite enjoy Last Continent silliness (e.g. explanation of the creation of the platypus). Carpe Jugulum is hated? Agree that Hogfather is slightly over-rated.

Nominate Moving Pictures as another mid-lister that seems to get dismissed a lot of the time but is (a) very funny, (b) probably the best use Pratchett makes the Dungeon Dimensions/Lovecraft lols idea. In any case, does the 'modern culture with magical technology' thing better than Soul Music, which has a few too many half-baked ideas running it (one of my favourite Kirby covers though).

Archived