Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

Realistically, the most likely location for any scenes from the AGOT pilot to be filmed at would be somewhere in the North-West (where the way of life is pretty similar still). I am perched right on the East coast so there's be no chance of me catching a glimpse of anything. :(

On the subject of what scene(s) would be filmed I'd expect it to be the prologue scene as the Scottish Highlands are the same type of setting.

Realistically, the most likely location for any scenes from the AGOT pilot to be filmed at would be somewhere in the North-West (where the way of life is pretty similar still). I am perched right on the East coast so there's be no chance of me catching a glimpse of anything. :(

There was a suggestion in the other thread that they'd be doing some filming at Doune Castle, which isn't that far from the East Coast, and not quite in the Highlands either.

There was a suggestion in the other thread that they'd be doing some filming at Doune Castle, which isn't that far from the East Coast, and not quite in the Highlands either.

The external Winterfell scenes? Can't see what else would be required in the pilot.

I'd very strongly recommend not trying to sniff around any sites they're filming at, for those for whom it might otherwise be convenient. They're on a very tight schedule, and they can't afford any disruptions (fans getting into shots, fans getting close enough that crew have to be tasked with security work to keep them away, etc.)

Getting the filming done on time and under budget is going to be one important factor in whether HBO goes ahead with it.

On location shoots, particularly near inhabited areas, it is not unusual for locals to come out and wonder what is going on. During the filming of Lost in Hawaii, for example, it's not unusual for the stars to come over and sign autographs, chat to people and even get photos taken whilst waiting for the next shot to be set up. Apparently they got to the point where it was too much hassle to clear people away every time the cameras started rolling, so keen fans have even seen major outdoor scenes being filmed, heard all the lines and gone and Twittered about it afterwards (hence the number of spoilers that get out about the show).

However, not every series or movie is so accomodating, and certainly on a pilot where things are much more sensitive, they may be much stricter and less accomodating of people. They may even take over Doune Castle for the entirety of the shoot, so there's no excuse for tourists or other people to be around. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to go and sniff around for what may be nothing.

This follows what we'vee heard previously, that filming begins the 24th but not at Belfast (of course, some other footage has already been shot, given what the video person at Modern VideoFilm tweeted the other day, that she was possibly going to see some footage; guessing exteriors, test scenes, etc.).

I'm not sure what to make of the BBC's "understanding" of the courtyard filming -- the phrasing makes me wonder if their reporter didn't google up references to Doune and the filming and came across our previous post in which we pointed out the photo from Doune showing crew members setting up in the courtyard, leading to my own speculation along those lines? Makes the most sense to me, though, that that's the primary purpose for using the castle; and possibly, as some have speculated, getting exterior shots to enhance with CG for Winterfell? Not as sure about that one. In any case, exciting times!

Doune castle is just down the road from me - does anyone know when their filming? I might go check it out - don't want to make a nusiance of myself though.

Camelot! Camelot! Camelot!

(It's only a model)

:D

ETA: Complete side digression...

One of my favorite memories while backpacking around Europe nearly 20 years ago is from Doune. I went to a local pub and sat and talked with the bartender and an older patron. After introducing me to the proper way to drink Scots whiskey, they sang some old folk songs and told some funny tale tales.

Most of the suggestions have been that Doune's inner courtyard will be used to film the scene in which Bran and Tommen spar while Jon and Arya look on. Robb and Joffrey then get into their own little pissing match

So from that, you'd have Kit Harington, Maisie Williams, Richard Madden, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Jack Gleeson, Alfie Allen, Rory McCann, and Ron Donachie at Doune Castle over the weekend. And possible Jennifer Ehle, when Catelyn makes a distant and glowering appearance at the end of the scene (poor Arya).

And of course whoever plays Tommen. And Ghost and Nymeria.

[Edited by Ran: Don't quote the leaked script, please, especially not at such length.]

For those not following us over at Twitter, I often end up sharing small tidbits there that don't really fit our Game of Thrones site. For example, just tweeted the note from the fellow who shared his family's picture of the crew at Doune, in which he noted some of the props they saw being brought into the castle: dead pig and dead deer.

I'm now thinking that not only are they using the courtyard, they may well be using Doune's Great Hall to stand in for Winterfell's great hall for the feast scene.

This suggests to me that the sets they're building are primarily for the crypts of Winterfell, Ned's bedchamber, and some miscellaneous other rooms. Possibly also the outdoor scene that starts the prologue.

Is the Doune Great Hall really big enough, though? It's not THAT big of a room (and not that big of a castle, either). If it were twice as wide I could see them making it work.

It probably really depends on whether or not they're going cinematic or realistic. I could justify a smaller Great Hall if they're being prickly about what's possible or likely for a given era. If they're saying, "Nothing later than 14th century engineering," then Doune is about what you get, on average.

However, much of Westeros is a little over the top (and I mean that in a good way); GRRM's description of Winterfell, in Bran's falling chapter in AGoT especially, paints a picture of something almost impossibly huge by traditional standards.

So their choice to use Doune's hall could be a give-away regarding how they want it to look.

Of course, there could also be budgetary reasons for going with something already built. And anyone who's ever seen a movie or TV show filmed live knows the sets always look bigger on the screen than they actually are. So it could end up looking much larger.

I don't really see why else they'd be bringing in a dead pig, a dead deer, and furniture (forgot to mention that) if it's not the feast scene.

They can of course use a bit of camera trickery to make the place look much bigger than it is in an establishing shot. But, OTOH, I think it very likely that some of the huge heights of the castles are going to be brought down. Does it really matter if Winterfell's walls are 30 feet and not 100, and its Great Hall can seat 120 people rather than 500?

This suggests to me that the sets they're building are primarily for the crypts of Winterfell, Ned's bedchamber, and some miscellaneous other rooms. Possibly also the outdoor scene that starts the prologue.

Don't forget the brothel set where Jaime, Tyrion and Ros will make their memorable debut appearance! That scene is going to be so awesome.

So, filming's probably started, and George is over in Scotland, so it's not unlikely he'll be attending filming at some point. Though probably not before the afternoon, I suppose? No idea how long it'd take him to get to Stirling from Edinburgh, especially as he's jetlagged.

Exciting times. We know filming at Doune Castle goes on at least through the 26th, as the Clanranald Trust has confirmed via e-mail and their Facebook page.

Archived