Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

At least JacMac30 bumped into Jaime in the toliet, not Tyrion :)

Actually bumping into the actor, who isnt yet caste, as Tywin Lannister. After they came out of the toilet would be even funnier.

That would be a kodak moment in itself. Caption "Shittin' gold"

Great report, thanks a lot. Actually hard to believe that they are putting this much effort into a pilot.

A shame there won't be any photos, but on the other hand it makes a lot of sense as it would kill the mystic. and please us of course.

thanks yet again for the wonderful update, will you be going there tomorrow aswell?

*sigh* whats with all the blue/grey, grey/blue colors on the Starks and even the Guards? Aren't they supposed to be white and grey in combinations as such. I would have thought you wouldn't see a thread of blue in their clothing no matter how light or dark.

White translates badly on screen with artificial lights - ever been wearing a white shirt in a disco? That may be the reason they picked blue instead.

Oh no!! Wishing an actor 'good luck' is considered bad luck. You're supposed to wish them bad luck, most typically it's, "break a leg." I'm sure it's fine - actors get "good lucks" all the time when fans wait outside of theaters for them to go in.

I realised that on the drive home. Could explain why I got a bit of a Tyrion look from Peter ;)

Jackie.

White translates badly on screen with artificial lights - ever been wearing a white shirt in a disco? That may be the reason they picked blue instead.

I'll give you that, but not all the time. How many movies have used white in costumes in artificial light? And be fine...

Kingdom of Heaven, Balians knighting scene. Knights in white linens.

Gladiator. The scene where the emperor stabs Maximus with a knife in his side as they are riding up a wooden elevator, wearing white armor.

300. THe greek robes.

INdy:The Last Crusade: The knight wore at least a very light cream color, maybe dirty white.

THose are to name a few.

I do believe in a disco would be a bad reference.

There's plenty of reasons why they might choose to vary the color palette presented in the novels, from stylistic reasons to someone just not liking all that white, or wanting the Kingsguard to stand out that much more strongly.

Just keep your eye on the prize: a series that brings good, dramatic fantasy to the television screen, and more recognition and a following for the books. :)

I'll give you that, but not all the time. How many movies have used white in costumes in artificial light? And be fine...

Kingdom of Heaven, Balians knighting scene. Knights in white linens.

Gladiator. The scene where the emperor stabs Maximus with a knife in his side as they are riding up a wooden elevator, wearing white armor.

300. THe greek robes.

INdy:The Last Crusade: The knight wore at least a very light cream color, maybe dirty white.

Hm, do we know all the while stuff on screen was white in real? Plus, those were mostly filmed under a southern sun for the outdoor shots, not in Scottish autumn which makes for a very different light.

But it's only a guess why they might have changed the colours. There could be a dozen other reasons.

According to my neice, who is a video editor at a telly station, when you think you are seeing white, you are actually seeing anything but white. Depending on the other colours in use, and any filters used with the lighting, whites will be either shades of blue or ivory otherwise the camera will be blinded, much like getting a spotlight in the face in the dark.

There's plenty of reasons why they might choose to vary the color palette presented in the novels, from stylistic reasons to someone just not liking all that white, or wanting the Kingsguard to stand out that much more strongly.

Oh, I don't worry about the colours. In the end we'll get used to it, like I did with Aragorn's outfit in LOTR.

As long as they don't give us Gondorian nipple helmets.. :wideeyed:

to someone just not liking all that white

buts its so classy! Its all the rave.

or wanting the Kingsguard to stand out that much more strongly.

Now that would be a good reason.

My heart is screaming. "I better see white"

My mind is saying "The production design and film crew know what they are doing, heck George is there..."

Depending on the other colours in use, and any filters used with the lighting, whites will be either shades of blue or ivory otherwise the camera will be blinded, much like getting a spotlight in the face in the dark.

*facepalm* I forgot about the filters. Ivory yes Ivory.

Regards the CGI debate, from what I saw outside I don't think they'll be shooting the outside of the castle. There's too much filming rig about.

Thanks for the great report JacMac. :)

When you say they wouldn't be shooting outside the castle, do you mean outside the castle walls?

I assumed they'd be filming some of the exterior shots in this castle but sounds like they are actually filming interior shots only? Except if there is an open air ground "inside" the castle walls.

*facepalm* I forgot about the filters. Ivory yes Ivory.

Thus ends the great "colour" debate. :P What next little thing will cause some angst. :)

Thus ends the great "colour" debate. :P What next little thing will cause some angst. :)

"OMG! Why is there a bird sigil there that sounds like House Arryn no-one from House Arryn is there why is there an Arryn symbol oh my God I'm not going to watch this waaaargh!"

Not that anyone here would do such a thing, of course, but I'm thinking more of the IMDB board where the quality of discussion is, erm, non-existent ;)

"OMG! Why is there a bird sigil there that sounds like House Arryn no-one from House Arryn is there why is there an Arryn symbol oh my God I'm not going to watch this waaaargh!"

It's likely the Great Hall of Winterfell is festooned with the banners of all their bannermen or it could be House Arryn's banner because I'm quite sure Ned would be keen to honor his great foster father, Jon Arryn, who practically raised him. It might also be House Condon (an eagle's head between crossed tridents, red on white), though the description sounds different. Or they might have added some new banners to fill out the hall more - the banners we know of are certainly not an exhaustive list of House Stark's bannermen, either directly or at lower ranks below their direct bannermen.

Edit: heh, I just realized that was you Wert. Thought it was someone actually freaking out.

Archived