Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

Estampie doesn't seem to use bagpipes at all, from what I can see. Faun does, though. Anyone able to check their official site and see if there's any tour information that might conflict with their having been here today?

Estampie doesn't seem to use bagpipes at all, from what I can see. Faun does, though. Anyone able to check their official site and see if there's any tour information that might conflict with their having been here today?

Faun have shows booked for the Halloween/Samhain in Germany. Corvus Corax has a gig in Nove 14th.

None of the bands have anything that could point to a participation on GoT.

oH BOY, I can't wait to see some of the actors in costume, the banners and maybe some stolen shots within the sets.

All the production design interests me greatly.

I want to compare the banners they made to the ones I'm making. I'm quite curious about in the interpretations from fans to design teams on the pilot.

Jennifer Ehle was there and looking very Catelyn-like, which, in my mind, is beautiful and motherly. (It helps this look that she was breastfeeding her baby at the same time ;) ) She had red hair, perhaps with the slightest bit of brown. It looked really cool though... the hairstyle that is.

Faun have shows booked for the Halloween/Samhain in Germany. Corvus Corax has a gig in Nove 14th.

None of the bands have anything that could point to a participation on GoT.

At a second thought Corvus Corax seem to tour a lot but have the months of Oct and Nov reserved...

Corvus Corax: http://www.myspace.com/spielleute

Faun: http://www.myspace.com/paganfolk

In Crakehall's photo, I wonder why those vans on the right are parked on what looks like tarps? To protect the grass? Anybody got a good guess?

Could be. The grounds around the castle and the courtyard are your typical British lawn. Very pretty on a sunny day (and it happened to be sunny when I was there in June).

I was writing a much longer report but realised it was going on on on...so..here's the cut down version.

Photos weren't allowed and the two security people John (I think) and blonde haired raccoon hat wearing lady said they were getting stick for the existing photos up on the net so no photos from me. I'd like to repeat how lovely they were btw, really nice and friendly.

People I saw:

Mark Addy, wearing black brocade. Saw him trying the crown on too while a crew member was taking what I presume were continuity shots. Beard long but not too busy, black with grey.

Ron Donachie - all I can remember is he had long grey whiskers on his cheeks. I was so take with them that apparently I missed Kit Harrington next to him.

Jennifer Ehle, couldn't see her outfit. She was wandering outside the castle with her baby. Her husband and son turned up later. Hair quite ginger (long wig unless her hair is very long these days). More ginger than I expected. Not what I'd call auburn but then it may look different under studio lights and on camera. It was tied back in multiple plaits.

Jack Gleeson, wearing long crimson brocade coat. Nearly bumped into him on the way out. He looks great as Joffrey.

Think I saw the woman who will be playing Septa Mordane among the extras. There were lots of Lannister and Winterfell soldiers, and Winterfell staff. Looking really great. Winterfell staff were in grey/blue outfits while the Lannister red was more subdued than I expected but still looking great.

Rory McCann - by this point I was a bit giddy at being so close to the following so details are lacking. He has the right side of his face done up but I can't remember the details. Wearing black (or dark brown) and red I believe.

Sean Bean - is Ned! Longish hair, close beard. Wearing a blue/grey under a dark leather coat.

Peter Dinklage - blonde shaggy hair. Think he was wearing a red velvet outfit. I did wish him luck as he was being called to set. (As they all were).

The Winterfell folk trouped past. - Richard Madden, redder hair than I expected but looking good. Can't remember much of Alfie Allen, I was very close to them at this point that I couldn't see their clothing easily. Sophie Turner, wearing the same blue/grey colour as Sean I think. Don't think Maisie and Isaac were on set today. Could be wrong.

Finally while I was waiting to get into a the one and only toilet...who should come out but Jaime Lannister! Poor Nikolaj, I laughed inanely! Really wasn't expecting him to come out! He was wearing a light blue and light brown leather over coat. I was surprised it wasn't crimson. Poor guy must have been wondering why I was laughing at him coming out of the toilet! Tall, blonde and a lurvely smile! Definitely Jaime! ;)

Also spoke to Tom McCarthy and wished him the best for the film. He seemed surprised and chuffed that a fan of the books was there. Oh and I saw DnD from afar.

I was really impressed how everyone just seemed to bring the books to life in front of me. I hadn't expected that. Can't wait to see this on the small screen!

Quick 'hello' to transport guy I chatted to in the castle and a final thanks to go to Mo Mr. Driver who ended up giving me a lift back to the car park instead of having to wait on the bus. He enjoyed hearing what the filming was all about. Said he learnt more in those 2 minutes than he had all weekend ;)

Anyway, that's the long giddy story boiled down. Really pleased that I took the day off work now!

Filming continues tomorrow but that will be them done at Doune. Regards the CGI debate, from what I saw outside I don't think they'll be shooting the outside of the castle. There's too much filming rig about. The mats etc out the front were to attempt to stop the grass turning to mud. Historic Scotland insisted the big trucks are not allowed to drive onto the grass to turn etc (info from Mr. Transport). They've covered the grass in the court yard with loads of sand.

Think that's it....

Jackie - happy to answer questions if I can. Oh..Mark Addy...no, don't think there were lifts but then I think Robert sits down for the whole of the feast so maybe he had a cushion. He is bigger than Sean Bean though (he was um...shorter than expected ;) )

as I wrote on wic could also be cultus ferox (former corvus corax members). Both would be great (and they make their own instruments). POinted there to a few songs that matched the settings more.

edit: thx for report :)

edit2: great report, really wish I was there. It's kinda good that you missed jon snow, afterall he is only a bastard ;) and shouldn't be spotted right away.

How did the furniture look?

Really curious about the Hound's face oh and surprised Tyrion is not crimson. But can't wait to really see the costumes first hand

AND you don't mention cersei? (goes for a reread)

JacMac30--thanks SO much for the report! I had to rush off to the dictionary to see whether McCarthy being 'chuffed' was a good thing or a bad thing. A good thing, it seems! And I sure as hell wouldn't worry about going on and on too long in your posted reports--we're starving here for every tidbit. Do keep 'em coming!

I have a question regarding banners: did you see any? The direwolf of Stark, the Baratheon stag, the lion of Lannister? And if so, did they differ from the representations we've seen in the past?

Also, you mentioned the Northmen seem to be dressed in a "Scottish" sense. Does that mean kilts and tartans? Can you describe the armor?

(Sounds slightly silly, I know, but I never expected bagpipes in Winterfell either.)

I only saw one banner which appeared to have a bird on it of some sort with wings out stretched and a motto on it but can't tell you more sorry.

Regards the soldier's dress. In general both Lannisters and Stark men were wearing trousers but loose rough cotton (or linen?) with long knee tunics over the top. Knee high boots too.

Stark house hold staff were wearing long light blue robes with short darker blue tunics over the top. Kitchen staff had kid leather like aprons wrapped around their waist.

Lannister ladies were in dark crimson robes and white/cream dresses underneath.

That's about all I can remember now. There were also some Northern Lord like extras wandering around.

Jackie.

Jackie.

Thanks, Jackie! How would you describe the style of the costuming? Is it a very fantasy sort of clothing, rather than attempting to hew closely to what actual medieval/Renaissance fashion looked like?

JacMac30, great report. I love the fact that the house colors are not that bold, atleast on the clothes themselves. I can remember an awful Robin Hood rendition with pink, bright red and yellow on everything.

I wouldn't mind the directors cut of that post. ;)

Thanks, Jackie! How would you describe the style of the costuming? Is it a very fantasy sort of clothing, rather than attempting to hew closely to what actual medieval/Renaissance fashion looked like?

I always invisioned based on how much the North didnt interact with the south down by Kings landing. The garb and outfits and oveall military wear would be different in age.

I always invisioned down by kings landing to be an age of fashion between 14th century and 16th. Where as in the North 11th through the 13th.

Peter Dinklage - blonde shaggy hair. Think he was wearing a red velvet outfit. I did wish him luck as he was being called to set. (As they all were).

Oh no!! Wishing an actor 'good luck' is considered bad luck. You're supposed to wish them bad luck, most typically it's, "break a leg." I'm sure it's fine - actors get "good lucks" all the time when fans wait outside of theaters for them to go in.

*sigh* whats with all the blue/grey, grey/blue colors on the Starks and even the Guards? Aren't they supposed to be white and grey in combinations as such. I would have thought you wouldn't see a thread of blue in their clothing no matter how light or dark. *shrug* I know some artists have interpreted some light blue or dark blues in fan art. But I never knew why. Blue is actually a very plush and rich dye... Costly, much like crimson and purple. Where as the north was more utilitarian. Whites and greys. With styles of fabric being only different. I hope to see some fur in the Stark clothes.

*sigh* I hope it looks good in the pilot. And I hope the production team knows the house colors.

With that in mind I hope they didn't make the stark banner, light blue grey or even a light blue white with a dark grey direwolf running. That would be sad that someone in production cant manage to read and know what snow white is.

Archived