Timeline for the project.

cybroleach

Rome was not built in one day ;)

You sir, win the thread.

OT: I might not be in the know, but where's the problem with starting March 2010? Whose schedule?

I would have thought (were I an optimist) late 2010 would have been a good starting point. Starting a "Winter is coming"-themed show in mid-2011 seems a bit... odd. Are we *gasp* looking at a late 2011 premiere? *tear*

But hey, we will've waited 5 years minimum for ADWD by then, so I guess we can take 2 years of HBO doing what they do, as long as they do it right *touching wood* (that kinda came out wrong)

I was discussing this with Silverstar at the London signing last night. Sliverstar said that the main issue that she knew of was with Jennifer Ehle in that she is doing a show until spring next year. We both agreed that if the showrunners organised the filming appropriately they could start without her. We need to remember that shooting a film does not have to be done chronologically (it's usually cheaper to be pragmatic about it). For instance filming could start with all of Dany's scenes for the season. This in itself makes sense as I assume it will all be done in Morrocco. It will be cheaper and easier to have all the film crew and actors for Dany's story film that before doing any of the Ireland filming. They could then do all of Jon at the wall. All of these don't require having Jennifer Ehle around. That's probably at least 4 weeks of filming they can do before Ehle returns and there's still plenty of other parts of the story that doesn't require her, although it becomes trickier in that she rotates with the cast a lot more.

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense. This is going to be a large ensemble cast and it's pretty harsh on the Dany cast to have to stick around for 30 weeks when they could get it all done in a shorter frame and then pop off to do theatre or film in between. the same goes for the Wall cast.

The only drawback I can think of this approach is that it requires either a single director for the entire season or separate directors for the different storylines eg Dany, Jon and the rest. It could work really well or it could feel disjointed, I'm not sure if it's been tried before or not. the approach would definitely save time, and therefore money, as well as keep the actors involved happy (and this is important if we want to keep them around for several seasons).

Does anyone have any idea about when they actually write the scripts? Is it all David & Dan, or will there be other writers? Do they wait for the confirmation in March and start writing like crazy, or would they be working on it right now?

It makes sense to film the East/the Wall/Kings Landing/Winterfell scenes one after the other, for building the sets and scheduling the actors and everything, but that'd mean they'd have to have the whole series planned out and written up, wouldn't it?

I don't know anything about the process, but I'd guess that they'd at least have the whole series planned out already, and the writing underway now, as the cost to pay the writers is pretty minimal compared to actual production costs. I'm interested in hearing from anybody who knows what they're talking about though. :)

I may be mistaken, but I believe I've been told -- or it was reported here somewhere -- that David and Dan have already written the scripts for the next 2-3 episodes. HBO wanted to see them as part of either giving the go ahead for the pilot, or as part of the package to review to decide on ordering a season.

My understanding is that David and Dan will be writing all the episodes, except for one episode per season which GRRM would write.

So when do they write the rest of the episodes? They seem to have been pretty tied up in casting and filming over the last couple of months. Will they have the entire series written before the series gets filmed? Or do they have it all so well-planned that they can write, say, all the Winterfell parts (since most of the sets are already there), and work on the rest as they go? I don't know how involved they'll have to be during the actual filming, and how much time it'll leave them to write.

Also about the whole 30 week debate: Don't forget that a considerable number of the cast are children with the time restrictions that come along with them.

The Wire featured a number of child actors, particularly in the later seasons; I can't speak to if it slowed them down some, but it would be interesting to look at to see if they took longer to produce seasons with more prominent child roles.

Re: a March 2010 start of filming... There are a huge number of other parts to cast, even in Dany's chapters (MMD, handmaids, crones). Starting that quickly just doesn't seem realistic, even without existing cast members' conflicts.

Hopefully, they can use at least some of the actors they've already seen and passed on for the pilot roles. If they are right for the part, I mean.

Re: a March 2010 start of filming... There are a huge number of other parts to cast, even in Dany's chapters (MMD, handmaids, crones). Starting that quickly just doesn't seem realistic, even without existing cast members' conflicts.

Hopefully, they can use at least some of the actors they've already seen and passed on for the pilot roles. If they are right for the part, I mean.

That's a good point with regards to casting. Not so much with the rest of Dany's cast (as they aren't large speaking roles) but for the wall and especially Kings Landing there are vital roles to be cast. It would have to be done very quickly if the greenlight was as late as March.

At the end of the day I can wait another year as long as we get a full season.

So this timeline is for filming schedule only? Add on casting, location scouting, bulding, costumeing, then post production and this timeline will be quite a bit longer...

Is it possible the "insider" is including pre and post production in the 30 week estimation? If not then were not getting the show in Jan 2011, more like Autumn 2011.

Sorry, can't seem to edit on my Blackberry..

As to what I said above, the only way I can see a Jan 2011 premier is if they alredy have some casting choices in mind (as well as back up's) as well as location decided. The costumes can be gathered from other films and tweaked for GoT. The building, well they'll use excisting (as they have been) but they will have to build a bit more... The rough edits are done daily and can contued to be finished as shooting is going on, same with FX. They would have to have pretty quick decisions for this be finished by next winter.

With the footage they have they can start commercial previews on HBO around late summer 2010 (the show doesn't have to be fully edited for this), as well as billboards and posters in cities.

I can see it happening, but it depends on if HBO wants to rush this lightning in a bottle. If they wait till Autumn 2011 they might find the critics (like Hibbard) and fans exausted from the wait.

Don't want to be Debbie Downer, just think Jan/Feb 2011 a better time to premier GoT.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here discussed how they might break up the first book into 12 episodes? From what I have read, episode 1:

SPOILER: series
ends with "the Things I Do for Love..."

Has anyone tried to estimate what the other 11 episodes will contain? I'm just curious. It might be fun to throw some ideas out there.

Has anyone tried to estimate what the other 11 episodes will contain? I'm just curious. It might be fun to throw some ideas out there.

There has been some suggested breackdowns. My suggestion for the cliffhangers are:

E2: Arya throws Joffrey's sword to the river + Attempt on Bran's life

E3: Lady is killed.

E4: Catelyn kidnaps Tyrion.

E5: Jaime kills Eddard's men.

E6: Tyrion wins his trial by combat

E7: Eddard talks with Cersei at the godswood

E8: Robert dies + Littlefinger betrays Eddard

E9: Viserys is "crowned" + Eddard agrees to "confess"

E10: The Whispering Woods + Beaheading of Eddard

E11: MMD betrays Dany + Robb rises the siege of Riverrun

E12: King in the North + Music of dragons

Spoiler

There has been some suggested breackdowns. My suggestion for the cliffhangers are:

E2: Arya throws Joffrey's sword to the river + Attempt on Bran's life

E3: Lady is killed.

E4: Catelyn kidnaps Tyrion.

E5: Jaime kills Eddard's men.

E6: Tyrion wins his trial by combat

E7: Eddard talks with Cersei at the godswood

E8: Robert dies + Littlefinger betrays Eddard

E9: Viserys is "crowned" + Eddard agrees to "confess"

E10: The Whispering Woods + Beaheading of Eddard

E11: MMD betrays Dany + Robb rises the siege of Riverrun

E12: King in the North + Music of dragons

The time line seems a little bit odd, I think Viserys was crowned much earlier. It's been a long time since I read "A Game of Thrones" but I'll try play with your time line.

E2: Arya and Jeoffrey- Jon's arrival to the wall -Attempt on Bran's life-Catelyn's decision to go to King's landing

E3: Lady is killed-Benjen goes missing-Arrival to King's landing-Catelyn meets Eddard.

E4: Catelyn kidnaps Tyrion-Sam in the wall-The hand's tournament-Viserys is crowned

E5: Jaime kills Eddard's men -Cat in the Vale-Dany assassination attempt-Tyrion asks for trial by combat.

E6: Tyrion wins his trial by combat-Dany in Vaes Dothrak -Tyrion meet stone crows- Jaime and Rob raise armies-Wight in the commanders room.

E7: Eddard talks with Cersei at the godswood- Robert is injured.

E8: Robert dies -Littlefinger betrays Eddard-Catelyn meets Rob-Drogo is injured.

E9: Eddard agrees to "confess"-Cat meets Walder-MMD agrees to heal Drog and drogo gets worse.

E10: The Whispering Woods-Jon tries to leave the wall-Beheading of Eddard

E11: MMD betrays Dany - Robb raises the siege of Riverrun.

E12: King in the North - birth of the dragons-Red Commit.

HBO is going to be rich with new major shows the next year +

Boardwalk Empire is shooting now I read somewhere in the last week they were shooting the 2nd episode.

'Treme is also in production - read this from a local NoLa paper 'Treme starts production on season 1 episodes

Band of Brothers - the Pacific will premiere in March 2010

and there's several returning shows, like Big Love, Entourage and new comedies as well.

as the prophet of my religion taught:

Waiting Is.

and as I always say:

Do you want it fast, or do you want it good?

HBO is going to be rich with new major shows the next year +

Boardwalk Empire is shooting now I read somewhere in the last week they were shooting the 2nd episode.

'Treme is also in production - read this from a local NoLa paper 'Treme starts production on season 1 episodes

Band of Brothers - the Pacific will premiere in March 2010

The notion of The Bunk and Freamon as jazz musicians in New Orleans just sounds too cool for words. I'd be excited about Treme regardless of anything else that's going on with HBO. Boardwalk Empire also sounds like HBO being very clever about looking for a replacement for The Sopranos. After that show a lot of viewers would be very sceptical about another gangster show. But set in Atlantic City during prohibition with Martin Scorsese producing and directing the first episode? Sold.

I just regret there isn't a HBO UK carrying all these shows, as I'd sign up to it tomorrow.

Archived