Dragon Age: Origins thread II

Rhom

I decided to give this game the benefit of the doubt. The whole darkspawn concept is unexciting, I just hope there will be some interesting enemies. Evilness is so boring.

My impression is that the Darkspawn threat forms the backdrop for plots with more complexity throughout the game, with various people trying to use the destabilisation of the realm to their own advantage.

I have yet to see character animation that doesn't look like some kind of horrendous marionette to me in any game ever. I'm not really capable of detecting degrees to which one horrendous marionette is better than another, aside from a few technical details such as "does it smoothly change to the next animation or just kind of warp there".

Grim Fandango gets a pass, since the characters actually are horrendous marionettes ;)

Grand Theft Auto 4 isn't too bad, for a serious answer. But yes, body language animation in video games is horrible for some reason. It's like they never, ever grasp the concept that sometimes 'less is more'; it's like stage actors compared to film actors, except we're seeing the stage actors through a close camera.

Regarding the writing in the flash game:

The flash game was made by a completely separate developer, EA2D, which has nothing to do with Bioware aside from this game. If you read the short dev blogs on the Dragon Age site, they basically say that while they had plenty of support from Bioware as far as setting up the Dragon Age-based skills and the setting and stuff, they had no illusions that they were going to come up with anything particularly worthwhile on the storytelling front and certainly weren't about to try to do anything difficult like not having a completely linear story.

Even after reading that, the amateurish writing and periodic bizarre grammar mistakes were a bit disappointing, but only because the rest of the game is so damn good that it brings the expectation level way above 'free flash game'.

So there's a new subreddit over at Reddit, specifically for Dragon Age: Origins, and I found lots of interesting info over there.

First there's a three part interview discussing the story-telling and the story in DA:O (don't worry, there are no spoilers). We get to hear lead designer Mike Laidlaw explain why DA:O is going to rock faces, and I for one think it all sounds great.

There's an interview with Captain Janeway, who is voicing one of the characters. There's also a short video featuring Tim Curry (who voices another character in the game).

And of course, true to their legacy, Bioware is making a full-featured tool-set available to players on the PC, which should be enough to persuade anyone who are still unsure which platform to get DA:O for.

November 6th needs to hurry its ass up.

• 2 weeks later...

As I've said, get the PC version if at all possible. Here's another IGN review (UK for PC version vs. Australia for the 360): http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/104/1040976p1.html and it's positively glowing.

BTW, it's finally coming out tomorrow (though I won't get to play it until mid-December :( ).

I've been following reviews via Gamebanshee and the 360 IGN review was the first one below 9 that I've seen (and there have been some other 360 reviews). I think we can anticipate a pretty high metacritic score on this one.

I'm pumped, my Steam pre-load finished yesterday . . . too bad I can't take the day off tomorrow lol.

That review is baffling. He complains about some pretty ridiculous things (OH NO MY EPIC FANTASY KIND OF LOOKS A BIT LIKE LORD OF THE RINGS) and then puts Baldur's Gate up on some mythic pedestal as if it weren't guilty of exactly the same problems.

The biggest questionmark, though, is when he (rightly) rates the graphics as something that could be better, he seems to be claiming that there is a plethora of jaw-dropping RPGs that this has to compete with. Um, no. There really aren't.

Even so, in this relatively scathing review, he says DA:O is arguably worse than BG/BG2 (which necessitates the reverse), and that it is 'the next best thing' to BG3 (which this reviewer seems convinced, in complete denial of all logic, will actually exist in some form that is not completely transformed a la Fallout 3). This is not a 'meh', folks.

This is not a 'meh', folks.

its a bit of a meh. aside from camera issues, it sounds like the control scheme for the 360 is gonna be exactly what i feared. this should not have been a console game. bah. sucks for me.

I'm excited. Even if it doesn't end up being one of the great games it does promise to at least be an entertaining ride with decent replay potential. I'm picking up my copy on the way home from work tomorrow. I've got to go with the 360 version, which i know is sacralidge, but I'm not taking the risky that my aging system might not be able to handle it with decent preformance. I know I'll loose out on some things with the console version but its the best option I've got to play the game. Since I don't do much modding anyway I think I'll be ok with it.

Current PC metacritic is 9.2

Current XBox360 metacritic is 8.7.

Most of the complaints on the lower reviews seem to be that combat is challenging (this is a problem?); that the graphics aren't top of the line (I only care about graphics if they are bad, art direction is more important); that it's more of the older style of tactical gameplay (isn't that the point?); and that it's not as innovative as Mass Effect (which is an odd comparison . . . what exactly was innovative about ME from a gameplay standpoint except the radial dialogue, which I considered mostly a failure?).

It's not a traditional console game - for all intents and purposes it's a port of a PC game. While a console review is necessary to see how well it was ported, I'm not entirely certain your average console game reviewer is the person I'd go to for a review of the core game. Especially not when they are holding up Oblivion or ME as pinnacles of the genre.

And I'm saying this as someone who has never played any of the BGs, and only played a few hours of Torment.

Archived