Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, The Gathering Storm

Larry.

What I would be interested in hearing from all of you who have already finished the book is if Sanderson's statement that the story can't be finished within three more volumes is vindicated by this first part. And I'm hoping for some objectivity in this - not "the more WOT the better".

It could have been done in two, I think, but they would have felt very rushed.

I have been reading the First Law trilogy (for the first time) and just finished book two of that yesterday. I would go get book 3 from the library, but I saw that my reserved copy of TGS was in (I put the reserve in several months ago). So I'm going to divert myself from the First Law to return to WoT for a bit. It will be interesting to see how the two compare, since they have a pretty different feel (I would say). I imagine either TGS or Last Argument of Kings will suffer for it, but I'm not sure which.

My hopes are high for TGS. Perhaps overly so. We shall see how it goes.

I have been reading the First Law trilogy (for the first time) and just finished book two of that yesterday. I would go get book 3 from the library, but I saw that my reserved copy of TGS was in (I put the reserve in several months ago). So I'm going to divert myself from the First Law to return to WoT for a bit. It will be interesting to see how the two compare, since they have a pretty different feel (I would say). I imagine either TGS or Last Argument of Kings will suffer for it, but I'm not sure which.

My hopes are high for TGS. Perhaps overly so. We shall see how it goes.

I don't know why either would have to suffer for it. They are both entirely different books. Additionally, LAoK is the concluding book in the trilogy while TGS is the first book in a concluding trilogy. Having read both... I'd almost rather read LAoK first. They are both depressing in their own way, but while LAoK still ends on a relative downer, TGS provides a shining ray of hope.

That said, if you're like me you've been waiting too long for TGS to even consider putting it off. I don't think your high expectations will be disappointed. It was everything I hoped it would be and more.

What I would be interested in hearing from all of you who have already finished the book is if Sanderson's statement that the story can't be finished within three more volumes is vindicated by this first part. And I'm hoping for some objectivity in this - not "the more WOT the better".

Around 100-150 pages should have been cut from TGS for it to be at optimal performance, I think. Any more than that would have hurt the book.

There's still a lot left to be done. This book didn't even resolved a third of the plot threads left dangling.

Hopefully Sanderson will use the momentum built up by this book and just keep up the pace. There's really no more excuse for build up at this time. It worked in this volume because you can feel things closing, but I have a hard time seeing the next book dawdle around for a couple hundred pages. Things are in motion now, and slowing it down again would be crap.

If Sanderson keeps up the momentum, it probably will require the proposed two additional books. If he wants to maintain RJ's habit of dicking around with the trivial matters and chapters that do nothing to contribute but inflate the book (even to the lesser extent he did in TGS), then it will only work as two novels if the really cool stuff that people actually look forward to are cut down.

Still, as Sanderson says, he's writing to the whims of RJ's outline, and do you really believe that RJ could contain himself, even during the climax, to stop putting in inappropriate bloat?

I hope I'm wrong, and TGS is good enough to make me an optimist. For now.

After reading the prologue and chapter one and after ringing endorsements from two of my friends, I had to order the book. It's due to arrive tomorrow or the following day. Hard to say when I'll be done, but looking forward to it much more than previous installments.

Had completely forgotten what happened to Rand at the end of book #11, had to try to piece it together from the aforementioned section of Gathering Storm. Good times, the last book was bad enough in my mind to block it out...

I am through chapter 2 and already running into some stuff that I don't really remember (KoD was something I rushed through in grad school, three years ago at least). Is there a quick synopsis on the web of where things stand in the series for people who didn't have time for a reread? I particularly don't remember these Seanchan characters.

I am through chapter 2 and already running into some stuff that I don't really remember (KoD was something I rushed through in grad school, three years ago at least). Is there a quick synopsis on the web of where things stand in the series for people who didn't have time for a reread? I particularly don't remember these Seanchan characters.

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/

That's the best place I've found for looking up who the hell these characters are. Chapter synopses aren't bad, either.

Yeah, it's been a while since I read the other books, too, so it's an interesting experience re-learning some of these things, as I read. :D

Hating Gwayne's idiocy and Egwene's bits. The rest is all good...uhm, barring Aviendha's sudden infatuation of Elayne. Every other sentence is Elayne this, or Elayne that, I swear. She thinks of her more than anything else.

Try this:

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_co...og&id=13372

Leigh Butler is funny and very perceptive. She does a good job.

Archived