Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, The Gathering Storm

Larry.

to be honest, i'm a huge fan of WoT, it is by far my favorite series I've read. I understand its flaws and acknowledge them, but it doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed every book I read.

and what I mean by that is, while reading each book for the first time, I loved each one. yes , even CoT. it wasn't until after it was over that I was dissapointed. but i love the journey the characters go on.

Even on rereads, I see the flaws, but I just don't care anymore, I just love the story.

I wouldn't call Dylanfanatic an apologist. Yet he calls it one of the best epic fantasies he read this year...

Caveat here: I haven't read many epic fantasies this year. I've read the following (or at least the ones that come to mind):

Peter Brett, The Warded Man

Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker

Bakker's The Judging Eye was originally read back in Nov. 2008, but I did re-read it in January.

David Anthony Durham, The Other Lands

And that's about it for 2009 epic fantasy releases. Out of these, Bakker's was slightly better, with TGS being on par with Durham's second epic fantasy in terms of what I enjoyed. Not much to make a huge case, as it may be damning with faint praise more than anything else ;)

But yes, I did enjoy it more than I suspected I might.

I see. So if someone disagrees with you, they're rabid fanatics?

No - if someone writes.....

Saying you "enjoy" the books is very different from being a "fan" of the books.

Personally, with Wheel of Time being my favorite fantasy series for about 20 years, I'd have to say there are no secondary characters, no plotlines of lesser importance, no detail to small or drab or boring.

.....that's a rabid fanatic.

Nothing to be ashamed of, the world is full of them.

OT - Since I'm not going to read the final trilogy I am reading all the spoiler stuff and discussion.

And I have to say I find that just as enjoyable as actually reading the books.

Hrmm...after reading first Pat's review and then yours, Ken, I find it fascinating just how differently the three of us interpreted some of the same elements...and how similar we were as well.

Hrmm...after reading first Pat's review and then yours, Ken, I find it fascinating just how differently the three of us interpreted some of the same elements...and how similar we were as well.

Yeah, that's pretty funny.

Though I can' for the life of me understand Pat's dismissal of the whole male a'dam event. I thought it was great, one of the most pivotal chapters in the series. Pat saw a quick and forgettable use of the a'dam, ignored everything else, and wrote the chapter off.

To each his own, I guess.

Indeed, while I seem to be more interested in the writing aspects than either one of you :P But yes, that scene seemed fast at first, but when people read it and ponder what happened to cause it to change, I think there'll be some interesting arguments about Rand and a certain force used ;)

I actually feel a lot more excited now, after reading kfc's and DF's reviews. I can't wait for the book to get here. God only knows how long it's going to take, with the post office people being who they are. :thumbsdown:

So, is this still going to be a spoiler-free thread for a while, or are you just assuming that everyone bought the book the very moment it was released and read it immediately?

Indeed, while I seem to be more interested in the writing aspects than either one of you :P But yes, that scene seemed fast at first, but when people read it and ponder what happened to cause it to change, I think there'll be some interesting arguments about Rand and a certain force used ;)

Not just that. The aftermath with Cadsuane makes me think this was just one step in a plan that spans from Sermihage's capture. And the Shadow came so close to success...

That was my thought as well, that this would be a thread for spoiler-free thoughts on the book as a whole...well, as much as possible. I would think in the next few days, it might be best to start a spoiler thread for discussing specific events and their possible interpretations.

Just picked up my copy at Walmart, and I will start giving it a proper read tomorrow morning. I just wanted to point out that the alteration to Robert Jordan's "About the Author" section made me very sad. Instead of "he will continue to write until they nail shut his coffin", it's now "he continued to write until his death on September 16, 2007". :(

unbelievable.

On one side, we have the guy who gave KoD a 10/10 saying its underwhelming.

On the other, the apologists are drumming their feet and waving their arms and shouting it's the best damn thing from Lord of Chaos, maybe Shadow Rising.

I'm waiting for Wert. and Dylanfan. to arrive with some balance to this...quandary.

You have to wait for the real reviews from "normal" people, because these bloggers magically come across "the greatest fantasy book" in almost every week.

(No wonder, they do this because this way the publisher sends them free books.)

Archived