Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, The Gathering Storm

Larry.

Either way, reading tGS just brought back home to me why I think Jordan is leagues ahead of some newer authors like Erikson. The writing may be turgid, at times, the plotting may stall, but there is a plan to the story, and it shows. And the plan refers not just to the plot, but to thematic elements as well.

And that's why GRRM is the only other fantasy author that interests me these days.

Why on Earth did people forget that you shouldn't start writing, or at least publishing, if you don't have a damn good road map in your head of where things are going to go?

Tolkien worked on Lord of the Rings for something like a generation, and his work for the Middle Earth spanned nearly his entire adult life.

I doubt I can reasonably expect anyone to mimic that, but what RJ did - and let's be honest, the slow down can be at least partially attributed to people at Tor realizing what a moneymaker they had, and so failed to do their job as editors - is certainly achievable, since GRRM is doing it right now.

Well done.

But seriously, reading it this fast seems a bit obsessive to me.

More like a chore than something to be enjoyed.

Also as a writer I would be depressed if people read in one day something

that took me a year to write.

As others have said, the rate of reading varies among people. I've found that if I try to read slower than usual, say 30-60 pages an hour, my comprehension/enjoyment is less, because I have to strain myself mentally to read that slow and my focus is diverted to the task of trying not to read at my normal pace. It'd be like driving 5 mph in a 30 mph or higher zone. It could be done, but it sure isn't fun...and it's usually annoying and/or pointless to do so.

I may have read the book in a straight 9 1/2 hour period but that doesn't mean I haven't gone back and already re-read over half the book. Similar to many other people, I've waited a hell of a long time for this book. Over the past month I've re-read the entire series (except Crossroads of Twilight (it's packed away in a secret corner I cannot find :().

The fact that an author can hold my attention for 9 1/2 hours and still make me want to re-read several parts if not the entire book again... I'm not sure I would be depressed if I was said author. I would find that pretty heart warming and probably give me a little tickle inside that already 44 million copies of my book (as per some blog that was written on October 27th... I can try to find it again if need be) has been sold and I can hold the attention span of people through over 4, 2 hour movies.

Call me obsessive, my boyfriend certainly thinks I am, but to me it's like meeting old friends that I have been reading about for around nineteen years. Reading fast != giving a book less attention than it deserves.

Yes, it is a good book. Do people complain about certain view points? They sure do. Is there certain parts of the book I didn't like? Yes, there was, however, I have yet to find any book that I found perfect.

There will always be "naysayers" and there will always be "fan boys" and then there are always people who just love a good read! :)

Well done.

Heh. I would say it is a little obsessive. Though perhaps addictive is a better description. When its a story I've waited this long for... actually, I would call it a complement to the writer! (as a writer myself, I actually think its a nice complement when people have trouble putting my work down).

But its true that sometimes little prose details slip through the cracks. I know I will be re-reading parts of the book, where I pick up the subtler things. However, unlike with GRRM, I'll only be re-reading the parts I like. TBH, RJ's descriptive sections never really did it that much for me. They're certainly not in the same league as GRRM's, at least not since book 4.

I would sacrifice my left hand to read as fast as Dylanfanatic. No joke. And it's my primary hand.

Sure the reading would go by quickly, but WoT is a drop in an ocean of worthy reads, and that's pretty much the only way to get to all of them.

It fucking sucks to read at 15-20 pages an hour, tops.

A day of really dedicated reading, where I have lots of free time, might net me over two hundred pages. It's depressing.

I would sacrifice my left hand to read as fast as Dylanfanatic. No joke. And it's my primary hand.

Sure the reading would go by quickly, but WoT is a drop in an ocean of worthy reads, and that's pretty much the only way to get to all of them.

It fucking sucks to read at 15-20 pages an hour, tops.

A day of really dedicated reading, where I have lots of free time, might net me over two hundred pages. It's depressing.

Right with you. Though I'd say more like 20-25 pg/hour. However, I tend to remember most details from books for several years, so rereads are unnecessary.

Well done.

Yes, but if the book is worth reading, you'll go back and reread it a number of times.

I'm gonna pick this up from the library and if I like it I'll buy it later.

A quick question though, do you sound out the words in your head? I usually do this but when I'm really interested in a story it goes much faster and kind of resembles a movie in my head on fast forward. I stop sounding the words out and just experience I guess. I've heard that sounding words out is much slower and less efficient but other articles I've read suggest a slower speed leads to much better comprehension. Just wondering what is your take on this?

On a similar note, I find it hard to believe anyone reads at only 15-20 pages per hour. I'd never have that kind of patience for reading if I did that. So for those of you who read at that speed, I feel both sorry for you and amazed that you could enjoy fantasy which is probably has the largest average book size. Kudos, to you all.

As others have said, the rate of reading varies among people. I've found that if I try to read slower than usual, say 30-60 pages an hour, my comprehension/enjoyment is less, because I have to strain myself mentally to read that slow and my focus is diverted to the task of trying not to read at my normal pace. It'd be like driving 5 mph in a 30 mph or higher zone. It could be done, but it sure isn't fun...and it's usually annoying and/or pointless to do so.

With me the better I like the book the slower I tend to read. I often re-read paragraphs that speak to me before moving on.

I like to "live" with a book for a few weeks if I really enjoy it - trying to prolong the experience and

not really wanting to reach the end.

I'm not criticizing people for reading so fast, it just amazes me.

To each their own I guess.

P.S. - I realize now that I'm in a lonely spot with this discussion, because the slow readers won't be joining it for a while yet.....

I find the more interested I am in a book the faster I go. I can get up to about a page a minute in a good book. I really hope this one does that for me.

Other times I can just lumber through something. I can read a book in a couple of days or a couple of weeks - needless to say with the weeks-long one reads I'm not doing nearly as much reading as with a gripping book.

God I hope our copy shows up today. We don't get mail on Saturdays here. :/

either

This book does not deserve a lot of attention or

You don't give it the attention it deserves.

Also as a writer I would be depressed if people read in one day something that took me a year to write.

I'm not criticizing people for reading so fast, it just amazes me.

Cynical Cat Is Cynical.

Anyhow, upon having had a couple of days to reflect on this book, I feel surprisingly sated right now. It's a nice feeling, definitely a positive (though I'm still interested to see what the next two books hold).

Anyhow, upon having had a couple of days to reflect on this book, I feel surprisingly sated right now. It's a nice feeling, definitely a positive (though I'm still interested to see what the next two books hold).

I definitely thought the book was very good, Sanderson did an excellent job. Actually I'm even revising my opinion of the decision to divide the final book into three parts, obviously depending on the quality of the next book I think it might have been the correct decision.

Hey Mash just thinking there. I am a very visual person as well, and something I found interesting is listening to an audio book on my daily commute I had a different mental picture than when I read that book the first time. I think it would be an interesting experience to do both at the same time :) .

Though the names would be a bit of a mess.

Thanks for the suggestion but I still say No. I mean, poetry, yes, I'd love it if he read poetry to me. But this book? No, especially not for the first time. I might be interested in an audio book later just for the experience, but not now. Besides, who says he wants to hear my voice ruining his favorite series. :P

Anyway, we got the book!!! The lazy-ass postal carrier didn't actually bring it here because I guess the weight was too much for her, so she left us a slip to go and pick it up on Monday! As if I'd actually wait that long! After calling I went there and had them look for it, they kept telling me I'd have to wait but I insisted. After going up on the second floor I managed to locate it among the semi-sorted mail. Success! I'm letting dalThor start it while we're having lunch, but he'll have to leave for work soon and then it's all MINE! :D

See you when I come up for air.

"But seriously, reading it this fast seems a bit obsessive to me.

More like a chore than something to be enjoyed."

"I'm not criticizing people for reading so fast, it just amazes me."

Cynical Cat Is Cynical.

If you see a contradiction in those statements I honestly don't.

I'm just an old man reflecting in wonder on a culture where it seems

everything needs to go faster and faster and patience is no longer a

virtue. I recognize the same phenomenon in the disgruntled views

on GRRM taking too long to write ASOIAF.

But perhaps it's just jealousy that I can't keep up where others can.

I finished my read through last night. I couldnt dedicate as much time to reading as I would like due to work. Having said that I found the book to be suprisingly good with only a few small nitpicks.

Obviously I wont spoiler anything, but I found a few of the POV characters voices to be off to a degree that bothered me. My primary example I think would be either Matt or Verin. I think he nailed Suian so dead on that she seemed to me to be perfect.

One of the things I cant decide if I like mroe or less than RJ's method of writing is the dealing with minor characters. We all know that RJ had a huge host of minor characters, some of which had their own story arcs, Brandon pushed them aside and focused on the main characters, and a small selection of minor characters. It is like watching a movie shot by two different directors, one who likes to focus on the faces and actions of the characters and one who likes to pan back and show the whole scene and everyone in it.

I think I like the direction that the story has taken, and overall I am very satisfied.

I'm sorry that as a writer you'd find a fast reader depressive. I thought writers would be happy to have people read and enjoy their books no matter what, but I guess I was wrong.

Well, it is like spending a whole day in the kitchen preparing

an exquisite meal for your guests and then watching them

wolf it all down in under 10 minutes.

You may see this as a compliment, I do not.

I'd see that as a hell of a compliment; if someone takes a half hour to eat something I cooked it'll be because they either don't like it or didn't respect my cooking enough to not stuff their face immediately before the meal.

It's clear we see thing differently.

It's like Poobah said

I'd see that as a hell of a compliment; if someone takes a half hour to eat something I cooked it'll be because they either don't like it or didn't respect my cooking enough to not stuff their face immediately before the meal.

I'd view it as a compliment. If people take forever to eat what I've cooked, then to me it's an indication they are not enjoying it as much as I thought they would. Same with books, for me. The more I like a book, the harder it is for me to put it down. The books that take longer for me are the ones that don't appeal to me as much.

That said, I'm loving tGS so far. Sure, there are a couple of times it felt kind of weird but it feels SO good to be reading a WoT book again. :)

I have to say - for shame, Pat! I really liked this book, certainly more than volumes 7-11. And I _was_ seriously disappointed in WoT. I picked books 10-11 as remaindered pbs years after publication and was on the point of abandoning it for good when I got caught up in TOR re-reads.

So, I am not a mindless fangirl.

And I don't think that everything was perfect - certain plot-lines were a bit uneven and/or pat, certain characters had different voices, still far too few significant deaths, etc. But it is a very fun book.

It has energy that several previous volumes lacked and when I finished it I felt satisfaction rather than "that's it?" feeling that the installments in the second half of the series generally provoked in me.

Not to mention that we have finally seen a pretty clever plot of the Shadow. A bit wasteful, true, but still believably dangerous and retroactively rehabilitating certain plot arcs from utter stupidity.

And it certainly felt to _me_ that they were much closer to TG by the end of it.

Comparing it with CoT and WH - or even KoD, which I couldn't force myself to re-read to the end before TGS came out is practically a libel!

I will wolf it down in ten minutes. Then ask for seconds, which I will savor. Then thirds, which I will study. Then fourths, which I will contemplate and debate.

For me, the first read-through is always a Blitzkrieg. That is why the gods created re-reads.

Archived