November 2009

Ski the Swift

I have Pratchett's Unseen Academicals, Daniel Abraham's series, and Harry Turtledove's Hitler's War. That should last the next week or so until I can pick up The Gathering Storm. I also have Joe Abercrombie's books on order at the library but I'm not sure when I'll get them.

Finished Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. From the beginning the author spends a lot of time on introducing the reader to his future world view. This is done in an interesting way, but I felt that as a result the plot suffered. Consequently, the book didn't really hold my interest at first. This changed when John Savage was brought back to 'civilisation'. BNW improved from there on, culminating in (for me) the highlight of the book: the long conversation between John Savage and Mustapha Mond on science, religion and society. While I respect the novel as a classic of dystopian (or utopian?) fiction, I have read better works in the subgenre (Philip Dick's comes to mind). Nonetheless, I'm glad I read the book; it was worth it for the aforementioned conversation alone.

After forcing myself to finish Storm Front by Jim Butcher, I am about to embark on a read of This Immortal by Roger Zelazny. It's one of those out-of-print books I found via the "14 used" links on Amazon. Looking forward to it, as I am a big Zelazny fan.

I have to finish up Jay Lake's Madness of Flowers and then I plan to read and reread VanderMeer's Ambergris books. I have only read Shriek: An Afterword, so I will be rereading that and reading City of Saints and Madmen and Finch. After that, I will definitely be reading Jesse Bullington's The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart.

I'm about 2/3 through Tyrant: Storm of Arrows by Christian Cameron. It started out good, but now I'm in a lull. I hope it picks up soon. Up next is ummm.... Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen. :blush: I have never read her stuff and fully expect it to be YA-ish. I feel like a light and fluffy fantasy series anyway. If it is alright, I'll read the rest of the The Heralds of Valdemar series. That should take care most of November.

November already? Working through "The Gathering Storm" at the moment, after that I'm going to hit up either Scholes' "Lamentation" or Weeks' "Way of the Shadows", which I finally broke down and bought after all the reviews for it even though I know I'm probably going to get Orbitized like I did with "Innocent Mage".

October seemed to just fly by.

I picked up Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice at the library today and now, 56 pages in, I can't help but wonder why I waited so long. I have been aware of this series ever since I started reading fantasy as a teenager, and now that I have finally come around to reading it all I can say is "grrreeeaat!"

I fully expect to finish the entire trilogy by the end of the month, and after Thanksgiving its on to my annual rereading of one of my two favorite books: Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

I am still slowing picking my way through Dreamsongs Vol 1, just finished Bitterblooms. the main turning point of the story seemed a bit rushed but the writing of the stories is smoothing out as I go through the book.

Starting Nights of Villjamur.

Just finished a couple of fun books

Servant of a Dark God by John Brown - it was a good enough story, and I think I will read the next in the series when it comes out.

Peter & Max by Bill Willingham - A very interesting world here, and I think I will check out the Fables graphic novels now. I had seen them in the past but had not read them because the illustrations did not appeal to me.

About 100 pages into The Other Lands by Durham. I really liked Acacia, and this is starting off good as well.

After that will be either Time Travelers Never Die by McDevitt or Lamentation by Scholes

I'm been working my way through Stephen King's It. It's very readable, but I'm not sure it's going anywhere I'd like.

On the side, I've been reading some shorter books:

Disgrace by JM Coetzee. It seems every distinguished academic male eventually gets to the point of writing novels about aging academic males having immoral affairs with younger women (see Roth, Philip). Some write multiple novels with this plot. This novel is slightly more interesting because it's set in contemporary South Africa, though I'm not quite sure I'm confortable with what Coetzee is trying to say. I liked Age of Iron better.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. LibraryThing's predictor tried to warn me this was really not going to be my thing. Promising concept but poor execution.

Coming up in the next few weeks - more Shirley Hill, Philip K Dick completionism, Iain Pears (based on Cyrano's glowing rec) and maybe Butler's Xenogenesis series (based on Eefa's recs in the feminist book thread). And some other stuff.

Up next is ummm.... Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen. :blush:

I was obsessed with this series when I was... 14. Good luck with that. At best, it's a good fantasy wish fulfillment world (the Heralds that is).

Archived