Filming in Morocco

Nothing "leaked" technically, but our intrepid Julia Frey kicks off today's filming with some pics of her hotel area.

Jackie contributes with some Flickr pics of various Ouarzazate sets from past projects.

So ... hey! Good luck to all involved (I think the weather will be better, regardless) ... Tamzin, Harry, Iain, Ian, Jason... cast, crew, GRRM, Tom, Dave, D.B....

Wake the dragon! (Break a leg)

Also found a video on YouTube showing
where I'm guessing they'll be working. I can certainly see Dany walking some of the streets. The Egyptian stuff may need a little green screen ;)

Some of the Egyptian stuff may be useful for the Dothraki city where they steal other culture's statuary. Of course, I think those were all separate sets, so no problem.

Wonder how they're going to do the sea of grass shooting in Morocco. But then that may have been shot in Ireland, although the wrong time of year. May have to be CGIed.

Wonder how they're going to do the sea of grass shooting in Morocco. But then that may have been shot in Ireland, although the wrong time of year.

It is a missconception to assume that Morocco is just made of dry desertic landscapes. Northern Africa has lots of green pastures. Those pictures are from Morocco.

Looks like tonight they shoot the Dothraki wedding scene!

George says so.

Oh, to be Jason Momoa for a day.

Well, the wedding is not the seduction scene. That will probably be shot another day, if it hasn't already been. Love scenes are usually shot on closed sets with only a minimal crew - it's much easier on the actors. It won't get shot the same time as when all those extras for the wedding will be around.

Looks like tonight they shoot the Dothraki wedding scene!

George says so.

Oh, to be Jason Momoa for a day.

:leaving:

I loved the image of the walls of Jerusalem GRRM provided in that post:

Most imposing of all are the walls of old Jerusalem that Ridley Scott built for KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, which loom in the distance as you take the mqin road into the Ouuazazate, still surrounded by a ring of huge wooden siege towers and trebuchets, now crewed by lean brown dogs.

I'm sure they can travel around if they need to. Not that they have to film all Dany's scenes in Morocco but it seems a nice place to start.

Oh yeah, for sure. But as far as my experience goes, road trips in Morocco are long :unsure: , especially from Ouarzazate which is separated from the rest of Morocco by mountains (the Marrakech-Ouarzazate mountain road mentionned by GRRM in his blog post is a really beautiful one, but it's kind of slow). Though they could always use plane to change locations I guess, but I supposed that they would stay in Ouarzazate as much as they could.

On the other hand if the series is picked, they should be able to travel a little.

(oh, and azerty ftw ! but I sympathize with George there, switching from one to the other is really bothersome. Qnd you ,qke q lot of ,istqkes for q zhile.)

So do we know when HBO will receive the final product for reviewing?

Or even if they are going to make it 100% finished before the review? I'm just hoping HBO will have as much time as possible to consider this, in the hopes that they'll be able to make a decision before march.

As per the post at the top left sidebar, we know that some level of post-production is going into effect in February, and GRRM is expecting HBO's decision around March. So I'm guessing that's when HBO's getting the final product, more or less, for review.

One thing I should add is that Julia Frey has previously remarked that she's on hiatus from a blogging gig she has until January some time. This is speculative, but it seems to me that through January, there's going to be some sort of effects house carrying out who knows what sort of effects work for the episode -- doubtless creating 3D assets like views of Winterfell and King's Landing, perhaps, plus any digital compositing needed and so on.

We did attempt to get an answer to this very question in Belfast. I asked Julia Frey how complete the visual effects she was producing were going to be when the show is handed to HBO but she completely and utterly ducked the question replying "maybe" and "yes quite possibly" and "it could be that, we'll see".

They are keeping things very tightly under wraps so for now that is the best answer we are going to get.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't lead you to the conclusion that, coupled with GRRM's expectation of a decision of around March, that the episode isn't going to HBO for review until some time in February or March. But okay. :)

Archived