Dunk and Egg

Actually theres a pretty good chance that the D&E novellas could be picked up for movies by a big studio, especially since the LOTR trilogy has shown how popular fantasy films can be.

If the hobbit is very successful, the D&D novellas could certainly be optioned.

It sounds like a good candidate for webisodes to whet the appetite for season 2. That format would definitely work for the "sworn sword", although Hedge Knight would be trickier because there's some action in that in the form of jousting and it may be harder to break into 5-10 min pods.

I'm sure if the show is mega successful, that someone will pick up the rights (if HBO does not have them).

Speaking of webisodes, they could be a useful tool for filling out locations/characters for season 2 etc. As they are just primers/inconsequential it would be an oppurtunity for the writers to do something original. Sam/aemon could work in that format or Jorah/Selmy. webisodes featuring the brotherhood without banners could be fun too.

"Hedge Knight" - feature film.

"The Sworn Sword" - Movie of the Week, and even then it would need to be expanded somewhat, I think. Perhaps flesh out the Bittersteel/Bloodraven storyline into a full, parallel plot.

If the Ice & Fire show is a huge hit, I could see HBO getting interested in doing the associated Hedge Knight movies to start filling in the time between seasons. Either that, or wait until they are all done and do them as a series of movies after GoT is over. It would only happen IF the show is a hit, though.

Anyone know of any other GRRM works that would make good movies?

Maybe the Skin Trade would be good or there was some short story I liked about them using corpses by remote control for mining which turned into a murder mystery.

Anyone know of any other GRRM works that would make good movies?

Maybe the Skin Trade would be good or there was some short story I liked about them using corpses by remote control for mining which turned into a murder mystery.

I may have imagined it but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that fevre dream had been optioned?

I've actually been thinking of a filmed version of Portraits of His Children for the past few days, and Nightflyers seems superfilmable, although I heard the movie based on it was utter sheeit.

I'd also love a Wild Cards movie. That could be freakin awesome.

GRRM writes in a way that makes me suspect that he sees all of his stories as potential movies.

Someone's optioned "Skin Trade" for development as a media property. Very small time production company, they must have had a really good pitch and GRRM thinks they can go far.

I don't know that GRRM wrote his earlier work specifically with adaption in mind, but I think after his time in Hollywood he has a new, more cinematic approach to his writing.

I realize he probably wasn't writing his early work with adaptation in mind, I didn't phrase it right.

He writes in a very cinematic way. I'm convinced that in an alternate lifetime, GRRM was an excellent scriptwriter. The Fortress would make a great movie, and that was definitely some of his early work. A Song For Lya is his least cinematic story, at least of those I read. I don't think he intends for his stories to be adapted, but I think in his head he sees them almost as a movie when he's writing them.

I thought "Hunter's Run" by George R. R. Martin, Gardener R. Dozois and Daniel Abraham would make a great film. It's a different take on scifi (which is usually a pretty caucasion world, whereas this one's Latino), and has a great ending.

I thought "Hunter's Run" by George R. R. Martin, Gardener R. Dozois and Daniel Abraham would make a great film. It's a different take on scifi (which is usually a pretty caucasion world, whereas this one's Latino), and has a great ending.

Hunter's Run could be a great movie!

Good to know. I bought this book a little while back to try something else from Martin, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I just started reading SuperFreakonomics. I'll probably pick up Hunter's Run when I'm done.

I have thought that as well, it would probably be the easiest of GRRM's novels to adapt and I think it could make a good science fiction film.

• 2 weeks later...

I could see it making a great movie as well although i could see it easily being screwed up since it'd have such a small cast and it's almost all internal thought from Ramon it'd be hard to covey that on film.

After having just read a few of GRRMs older books (Hunter's Run/Windhaven/Dying of the Light/Tuf Voyaging) recently I'd like to see Windhaven as a film. Just think of the visual effects they could do with that.

Just as a thought..I know this is off topic..sorry.

I was thinking how bad the Wheel of Time series would be as a movie series. The first 3 or 4 books are actually pretty good but I think it would be very Eragonesque or In the Name of the King-A Dungeon Siege Movie-like.

:grouphug:

Just as a thought..I know this is off topic..sorry.

I was thinking how bad the Wheel of Time series would be as a movie series. The first 3 or 4 books are actually pretty good but I think it would be very Eragonesque or In the Name of the King-A Dungeon Siege Movie-like.

:grouphug:

Like ASOIAF, I think Wheel of Time would work best as a TV series since you'd have to lose so much to fit it into even a series of movies. I'd say that if you can do ASOIAF well as a TV series (and from what we've seen so far they seem to be doing a fairly good job) then it would be possible (although difficult) to do a good Wheel of Time TV series. It would be better suited for a network than ASOIAF due to not having so much 'mature' content, 14 series would obviously be too long so maybe every two books making up one 22-episode series (might have to change that a bit for the later books where nothing happens, Crossroads of Twilight barely has enough material for a single episode). I think it could be done well, potentially, but there are a huge number of things that could go wrong with it and without some very talented producers and a network willing to let them do the right thing it could just as easily turn out more like Legend of the Seeker than how we hope Game of Thrones will be.

Archived