A perfect Robert - Tom Wilkinson

xythil

I think it's important, though, that Ned and Robert be of an age. You'd have to find a much older actor for Ned. Otherwise, their relationship doesn't make sense.

Wilkinson as Jon Arryn in some flashbacks would be terrific.

Ya he is pretty old lol. But everyones age has been modified for the pilot. And gravitas is the word I was looking for. Thank you!

He is definitely the caliber of actor we should be hoping for with any major role. Sometimes I think we worry too much about what the person should look like and not enough about whether they are talented enough to carry the role.

I think it's important, though, that Ned and Robert be of an age. You'd have to find a much older actor for Ned. Otherwise, their relationship doesn't make sense.

Wilkinson as Jon Arryn in some flashbacks would be terrific.

i think bean and wilkinson could be made to look similar ages

i mean ive seen hobbits drop rings into giant volcanos while invisible cloaked guys riding black drakes flew around fighting giant eagles =p

Yes, as the Old Bear, I could see that. Though Brian Blessed or John Rhys-Davies would be excellent as well.

I'd love if they used Rhys-Davies for something. Hmmm, perhaps Tormund? He has the voice for it, if not the bulk.

I think Wilkinson would do very well for Jon Arryn or Yohn Royce. Jeor Mormont as well.

• 1 month later...

1. Tom Wilkinson is a brilliant actor, as others have said. He is so good that if he said, "The only way I will do ASoIaF is if I got to play Brienne" all I would think would be, "God, I hope he knows how to use a sword like the character does."

2. He is too old for Robert. Robert is only 35-36 at the start of the books (he acts much older). Wilkinson is in his 60s.

3. Why not Barristan Selmy? That seems like an inspired choice. And Wilkinson is actually a big dude at 6'3, an din many of his movies he actually has to be positioned so that he does not tower over shorter actors (go back and watch "The Patriot" its actually cinematically uncomfortable watching the director have to shoot around Wilkinson being so tall and Mel Gibson being so short; its less pronounced in John Adams, because Adams was SUPPOSED to be seen as a short little guy; but it actually makes his performance in In the Bedroom that much more incredible- he has to act the whole movie like a small man, scared of doing anything; he actually has to slump in certain scenes to under-emphasize his height).

4. I can also see him playing Mace Tyrell.

Mace Tyrell is also fairly young-ish, around forty or so. Whilst that is certainly fudgeable, remember Mace's mother plays a major role in events, so if you have a 60-year-old Mace, that pushes the age of the actress playing the Queen of Thorns up to eighty-something. There's certainly a few British or accent-capable actresses of that age capable of doing the role, but bringing it back down to a forty-something Mace and a sixty-something Queen of Thorns gives you more options.

Wilkinson would also make a great Old Bear though, along with Cox, but they may both be way too high-profile to accept a relatively minor role in the series.

Maybe Wilkinson wigged-up for Tywin? I prefer the Dance/Dale options, but Wilkinson would certainly be good in the role.

Archived