Dragon Age: Origins: Thread III [some SPOILERS]

Tobin

Do I buy this game for the PC?

Loved KOTOR, and Mass Effect.

I'm one of the few people that disliked Baldur's Gate... I HATED the combat system. I'm sure the story of Dragon Age is awesome but also it looks like the combat is very much like BG? Yes or no?

PC, I wouldn't have it any other way. Buddy of mine has the 360 version and we've been comparing notes. He said it isn't bad control wise, but he's used to console gaming.

The game play actually is pretty close to that of NWN2: Mask.

Movement and bind keys seem pretty standard (any WoW experience will help you since the keys appear to be the same).

Only thing that catches me is that I tend to forget <space> isn't a 'jump' button and hurk my characters occassionally while they're doing something.

Stuff that really bugs me is that you can't jump, and any water deeper than your ankles is magically impenetrable.

I've only seen one or two graphics glitches and I've been through about 35hrs or so.

edit: because i can't spell on 3hrs sleep...

I haven't found Shale yet.

I three mage'd that fight: Wynne kept us breathing while, Morri and I stacked fire and ice storms centered on the blob and kept Alistair hacking at the tentacles.

It took two tries after I saw how the fight went. I pulled back to max range and it kept a few of the adds that spawn behind her from coming until it was all over.

Lelianna is actually very useful in that fight almost as useful as a mage, particularly if you have the bow from the Brecilian Forest.

I'm one of the few people that disliked Baldur's Gate... I HATED the combat system. I'm sure the story of Dragon Age is awesome but also it looks like the combat is very much like BG? Yes or no?

Which part of the combat are you talking about? The D&D rules? Those are out the window, the new system is far more sane. Managing six people at once? Maximum party size is four, and it's designed to be played with you driving one character and the scripts running the others (although you can do it all yourself, if you want. At least on the PC). The interface? Is much nicer. The difficulty? I'd say it's harder than BG/BGII, although it's been long enough that it's hard to honestly compare.

Do I buy this game for the PC?

From all that I've heard, it's definitely meant to be a PC game. I believe the order to make platform versions came later in development, so PC is the way to go.

The rule set is far easier to understand that D&D and magic is a much more simple/logical system that owes far more the WoW than Dungeons & Dragons. The effects of some spells seem more D&D like to me, but how magic works is closer to a MMORPG. Spell progression is more more MMORPG-like, too, and there is no need for memorization of spells before going into battle. You have access to everything, so long as you have the Mana available to cast it.

Likewise, Rogue and Warrior moves and powers operate on Energy, much like in MMORPGs.

The combat is tactical like the BG games, so you are best served pausing and un-pausing like in those games and making decisions. Or, you can set your battle scripts (easy to do, and many pre-set combat styles built in) and let them fight on their own, occasionally tweaking or turning off the scripts when they make decisions you don't like (turning on and off is just a quick click or two - you can even turn off parts of scripts that are causing problems very easily).

I think combat takes the best aspects of the BG games but leaves out the cumbersome D&D rule-set, so in that respect it's a big improvement. I have long played D&D, so I'm comfortable with it and don't mind it in the BG games, but the combat in this game is far more sensible.

I am sooo going to burn...

My brother'n'law has told me in a dark and evil voice that I am not to give my sister any more computer games since I got her hooked to WoW.

Last night, mom told me to show her "this game you're always talking about" and then said: "Do you think your sister would like it?"

Me: :stunned:

Mom: "Don't worry, I'll put my name on the label so you won't get in trouble."

Me: :devil: "She'll enjoy it I think, but she's worried it will be too much excitement (she has a bad heart) and I'm not sure she's in the mindset for it yet. She's still hardcore addicted to WoW and this is a very different playstyle."

Mom: "Yes, but this one she'll actually be able to 'save' and go to bed at a decent hour. Unlike some people."

Me: :leaving:

So I just tried Morrigan's quest. Holy fuck. I'm going to need to be much higher level to do this.

I was barely able to beat it. Alistair went down about a quarter of the way through, Wynne died soon after, leaving my Rogue and Lelianna. I was lucky and I tend to stroll around carrying 100plus healing potions, but I was able to beat it.

ETA: And the killing blow animation was awesome.

Sure, if you're a total wuss.

Well, duh.

ETA: The fights that tend to give me the most trouble in this game aren't the ones against single powerful foes, but stuff like the stupid bandit encounters in Denerim. I think it's the large number of archers. They're constantly stunning party members and deal a surprisingly large amount of damage.

Ok, I just started playing this game a few days ago and I know everyone and their mother loves Alistair but I really can't stand him. I'm trying to rp my charceter (a male city elf warrior) by making dialog decisions congruent with what he would most likely do given his past and what he's been through so far in the game. I went to Redcliffe right after Lothering and after doing the whole Redcliffe Castle line of quests I ended up killing Connor. Several times I thought about getting mages from the circle of magi to come back and fight the demon in the Fade but I figured that by then the demon could regain its strength and wipe out the whole village (I have no idea if this is what happens, other than playing through the dwarf noble origin to get the hang of the game, this is my only character so far) so I ended up killing him, something which, although she wasn't happy about, even his mother understood. However, when talking with Bann Teagan, both Morrigan and Allistar basically say that it's unfortunate but we have to kill Connor. I decided to have my character go through an internal crisis (he had previously hated Duncan because of the city elf origin story and despised the Grey Warden's utilitarian methods, etc) and was willing to go down the "do you want to talk about Duncan" line of conversation with him. However, when we get back to camp he accosts me saying he's been thinking about Connor and thought it was wrong. Then he gets all pissy about me killing him even though he recommended it in the first place. Jesus Christ, the man is almost as bad as Morrigan. That and he whines a lot, I just don't really see the appeal. Is he funnier and less whiney if you try harder to get on his good side?

Well, duh.

ETA: The fights that tend to give me the most trouble in this game aren't the ones against single powerful foes, but stuff like the stupid bandit encounters in Denerim. I think it's the large number of archers. They're constantly stunning party members and deal a surprisingly large amount of damage.

I know! How the hell are we supposed to contend with 3:1 odds where half of the field is running/filling you with arrows?

I got locked in a field while doing one of the Chantry quests where there are at least a dozen darkspawn and a LT who happily hucks fballs and locust swarm (I'm sooo getting that spell). I've gotten close a few times, but still no luck.

Woot! finally got Branka based on advice from here, :thumbsup:

I know! How the hell are we supposed to contend with 3:1 odds where half of the field is running/filling you with arrows?

Two words: Blood Magic.

I found the battles with weak enemies with overwhelming numbers impossible until I got Blood Magic. With Morrigan and my character both casting the third level blood magic spell (I forget its name but it basically freezes enemies within the area of the spell for a while in place and does serious damage to them while they are frozen in place), you become unstoppable against most enemies.

Now, using blood magic may make me evil, but the ends justify the means right. ;)

ETA: Oh yeah, and your party is immune to this spell so you don't have to worry about friendly fire.

I'm also having some trouble with a small horde of foes, as opposed to a single powerful one, in Haven, bunch of cultists the temple in a side room, but they've got 3 casters, I think 3 or 4 reavers, along with a bunch of regular, low-level cultists. It's just too much and they surround my guys and overwhelm. Gonna try earthquake, which I forgot I had (I wish you could fill your screen with task bars, like in WoW - hopefully a patch will add that feature), also I think Morrigan has cone of cold now, so got to try that.

Here's my main character right now, Erynees, female/human mage. I started two others to see other origin stories: Scath, male/human warrior, and Aelidey, female/elf rogue. Not sure which I'll try for a play through once I finish this game. I'm kind of keen to play a rogue, but Scath just looks so cool and ugly.

Gonna try earthquake, which I forgot I had (I wish you could fill your screen with task bars, like in WoW - hopefully a patch will add that feature), also I think Morrigan has cone of cold now, so got to try that.

Did you know that you can stretch the task bar to gain additional quick slots? It should be enough unless you're playing at a very low horizontal resolution.

Did you know that you can stretch the task bar to gain additional quick slots? It should be enough unless you're playing at a very low horizontal resolution.

Well, no I didn't! I will have to try that. I've got a wide screen display on max resolution, so I should be fine.

Archived