Octocon 2010: Dublin, 16-17 October

I have edited this post so that it contains just the Octocon attendance list and information and attendance lists for the various BWB events and excursions that are currently being planned.

The attendance list is in order of arrival so maybe people arriving at about the same time can travel from the airport to the city together. If you can post your arrival & departure dates/times I will add them here. Also let me know if I have got anything wrong and I will correct.

DEFINITELY ATTENDING OCTOCON:

Pod (Dublin local)

Paddy (Dublin local)

Peadar (Dublin local)

Pebble 11-18 Oct ~ arrive 10.00, depart 16.40

mormont 13-17 Oct - arrive 09:05, depart 20:15

Luzifer's right hand 13-20 Oct

MG 13-18 Oct ~ arrive 22.15, depart 15.40

LugaJetBoyGirl 14-21 Oct ~ arrive 08.40

Adz of CCAA 14-19 Oct ~ arrive 11.50, depart 12.20

Sophelia 14-17 Oct ~ arrive 12.05, depart 14.25

Lady Narcissa 14-18 Oct ~ arrive 12.50, depart 10.35

Alytha 14-19 Oct ~ arrive 13.00, depart 13.30

Filippa Eilhart and John 14-18 Oct

Slick Mongoose 14-18 Oct

Iceman of the North 14-18 Oct

Mentat + Mentat's sister 14-17 Oct

Zollo 15-17 Oct ~ arrive 09.05

An00biel 15-17 Oct ~ arrive 11.30

The white rabbit 15-18 Oct ~ arrive 12.00

tenalpia 15-? Oct ~ arrive 14.25

devotee 15-19 Oct ~ arrive 15.20

williamjm 15-18 Oct ~ arrive 16.00

Dracarys 15-18 Oct

Mich 15-17 and 21-23 Oct

Sean 15-18 Oct

Silverstar 15-17 Oct

Joseph Campo 16-17 Oct

Yerman (might be there for Sun only)

Freyja

Vrana

Ser Barry

Iylliana

Ser Mel T +1 or 2

lilsisorcha

MAYBES:

Eefa

DROP-OUTS:

Angalin

BlueRose

mashiara & dalThor - get well soon dT!

deedles

Silanah

Dunhallym

Werthead +1

Hiking trip to Glendalough - Thursday 14 October 10 am

Peader is organising this hiking trip to Glendalough with some ruins along the way, lunch on the tops of the hills and much screaming as we come back down again. The plan is to travel by car so we definitely need to know how many want to attend. Peadar can take 5 others and Pebble will be hiring a Ka which can take 3 others (total 9 spaces available). If anyone else is getting a hire car and wants to join us please let us know. We will be meeting at 10 am at the Camden Court Hotel and aim to be back for 5.30 pm.

Peader

Mormont

MG

LugaJetBoyGirl (maybe)

Luzifer's right hand

Pebble

For those arriving Thursday afternoon you might want to organise something for yourselves, perhaps a visit to see the Book of Kells would be good especially if you are not around on Monday (see below). Let me know if anyone wants to organise this and I will post the details here.

I have put together a quick Google map showing where the restaurant is along with handy locations such as the convention hotel, where we need to meet for the Viking Splash tour and the Book of Kells.

BWB dinner with George and Parris - Thursday 14 October 7 pm

I have a confirmed reservation for 27 people at Gallagher's Boxty House. We are a few people short of that total at the moment but I figure a few more will want to join us once they check in with us over the next week or so. Let's see if I can repeat Ser Camaris' trick from Worldcon and guess the exact right number that will turn up on the night.

We have a three different menu options to choose from:

Set menu 1 @ 35 Euros

Set menu 2 @ 25 Euros

or we can just go A La Carte

I know Parris wants the Irish stew and brown bread which she says is "so damn good, it's as if my granny Margaret was cooking it up herself." That's on set menu 1 or is available A La Carte.

If we are going with one of the set menus we need to let them know in advance. I don't think it would actually save us much money to be honest, it would just make life easier for them. If there is no consensus of choice we will just go A La Carte.

I assume that anyone on the list who has stated they will be arriving before or on 14 Oct will want to be there but I'm sure there are lots of lurkers reading this who will be at Octocon (or maybe even some Dublin locals who won't be at Octocon) and wondering if maybe they can come along and have the opportunity to sit next to George at dinner - well yes you can! But you've got to post here to say you want to be there. I need to get an idea of numbers so we can make a booking so if everyone can please let me know that would be great.

Here is the list of those who have said they will be there for the dinner, post in this thread to say yes and get your name added to the booking:

Pod

Mormont

MG

Peadar

Mentat + Mentat's sister

Alytha

Adz of CCAA

Renya Stark +1

Slick Mongoose

Lady Narcissa

LugaJetBoyGirl

Iceman of the North

Silverjaime

Pebble

Aoife

Luzifer's right hand

Sophelia

Paddy +1

Ser Mel T +1 or 2

lilsisorcha

Howth Hiking Trip - Friday 15 October 9.30 AM

Lady Narcissa is organising a walk along the beautiful clifftops of Howth. Trains to Howth leave Dublin every 30 minutes and the journey takes 25 minutes. The Irish rail website won't tell me how much tickets cost but I'm sure they won't break the bank.

Lady Narcissa

MG

Adz of CCAA

Alytha

Mentat + Mentat's sister

Sophelia

Filippa and John

Newgrange - Friday 15 October depart AM, back by 3pm

Pebble is organising a trip to Newgrange neolithic tomb on Friday morning. She has a hire car (Ford Ka) so she has 3 other spaces available if you want to join her.

Pebble

LugaJetBoyGirl

For anyone that does not want to go hiking on Friday morning then perhaps the Guiness Storehouse Tour would be a good alternative, or if you are not going to be around on Monday (see below) maybe the Book of Kells. Anyone with time and transport might want to visit Newgrange neolithic tomb - thanks to Mich for the suggestions. Let me know if anyone wants to organise these trips instead of the hike (or any other event listed here) and I will add them to this post.

Viking Splash Tour - Friday 15 October 4 pm

Following Luga's suggestion for the Viking Splash Tour of Dublin I have contacted them regarding a group booking and I'm suggesting a time of 4 pm which hopefully allows those going hiking time to get back and for Friday arrivals to join us too. The tour only takes 1hr15mins so we will be back in time for dinner and drinks in the Hotel bar where everyone will be gathering on Friday evening ahead of the con. The usual cost is 20 Euros but if we have a booking of 15 or more people they will give us 10% discount (18 Euros each). The buses hold a maximum of 28 people giving us an upper limit on how many of us can go on the tour together but I don't think that will be a problem.

MG

LugaJetBoyGirl

Alytha

Mich

Adz of CCAA

The white rabbit

Luzifer's right hand

An00biel

Mentat + Mentat's sister

Sophelia

Iceman

Pod

Pebble - so long as she behaves this time

Zollo

Parris

Silverstar

devotee (he may still try to make it but won't have a ticket bought up front)

BWB PARTY - Saturday night

Mormont, Paddy and Peadar have been talking with the con committee and the general consensus is that we want to fit in with their plans. This means we will not be running our own separate party and we can't run our own bar. But that does mean no need to pay for anything up front or organise buying supplies which allows us to enjoy the con a bit more with less to do.

Octocon are planning a medieval-themed party anyway so we will take over a room or a corner of the bar and make it into 'Westeros'. The details on this are still being hammered out and will be announced once we know more.

I can announce that at our party we will be running another Awesome Charity Book Raffle Prize Draw Thing. Pat from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist has secured some more incredible prizes for us and I will be bringing some books along myself. I will be putting together a poster with all the details nearer the time.

Dublin ghost bus tour - Sunday 17 October 9.00 pm

We are considering the possibility of taking a trip on the Dublin Ghost Bus tour but it depends on if there are any con related activities on Sunday evening or not.

With online discount it should come to about 20€, maybe they'll give further discounts if we book for a group.

Or we might do one of these instead:

Haunted history walking tour

Northside ghost walk

It will be something Ghosty anyway....

Pebble

Lady Narcissa

MG

Alytha

Adz of CCAA

Iceman

devotee

Book of Kells - Monday 18 October 10 am

For those who are still around I am suggesting a trip to Trinity College to see the awesome Book of Kells on Monday morning. Should take about an hour to see the entire display. Usual cost is 9 Euros but if we have a group booking of 10 or more we can get the group rate of 6.50 each.

MG

Adz of CCAA

Newgrange - Monday 18 October 11.15 am - 4.30 pm

Luzifer's right hand has said he is interested in going to Newgrange Neolithic Tomb instead of the Book of Kells on Mon 19 Oct, I would have liked to do this as well but I don't think I would make my 3.40 pm flight if I tried it. But if anyone else has the time you may want to consider this as an alternative.

Luzifer's right hand

Alytha

devotee

If anyone staying earlier or later than Thur 14-Mon 18 has any plans then let us know and maybe someone else will want to join you.

This thread is for the discussion of an idea proposed in my Ireland 2009 BWB meet up report which is now available on my Worldcon and BWB meet up Reports site.

The idea is that at Octocon 2010 next year that we not only host one of our legendary BWB parties but that it becomes The party of Octocon 2010. A big idea I know but I want to get peoples opinions on whether this is a good idea, do we want to do it. Let me know.

There is also a Google Wave discussion thread for this subject which can be reached from the above linked site.

I guess I just assumed this is what we would be doing.

I probably should have explained this a bit better in the thread.

While I was in Ireland earlier this month I spoke to some of the organisers of Octocon and I discovered that they do not throw parties in the same way as say Worldcon does. Generally the con attendees just end up in various pubs close by with no definitive plans and nowhere designated as "The Party".

So what I am saying is how about we change that and organise The Party for Octocon 2010. George is the Guest of Honour after all and it is probably expected that the BWB will throw one of their legendary parties. This may mean needing to arrange a venue ourselves rather than through the convention organisers and if this is for everyone at the con it could be significantly larger than the parties we are used to throwing at Worldcon. I just wanted to get this out there nice and early because this may involve more planning than normal, if we decide to do it of course. Maybe everyone would prefer to just take this one off and go down the pub instead?

I have received a message via the Google Wave discussion from Danielle who is one of the organisers of Octocon who passes on this message:

Hi, my name's Danielle and I'm from the Octocon committee.

Just wanted to let you know that if you want to sign up before online tickets go onsale, you can send us your details with the appropriate amount to

Octocon 2010

c/o Apt 56

Shalimar,

Monastery Road

Clondlakin

Dublin 22.

Ireland

Looking forward to seeing lots of you there!

Oh, and if you have any questions, feel free to post here, tweet us or email us. [email protected]

We normally run events on the Saturday night, which are party-esque, but do get in touch with us if you have better ideas. We'll be meeting up soon so we can discuss anything of the sort.

I think it is clear that we are still at the ideas stage here and this might not happen, but Octocon are aware of the discussion and I think would be receptive to the idea :)

I think throwing a party at OctoCon was always on the cards. :) Ideally we need some local input, from fans in the area. Some venues like to deal with people face-to-face, anyway, and we need to have someone check the place physically for potential issues. There would also have to be some work done ahead of time in terms of planning, finances, etc. I'd be willing to help out with that side of things, though I don't pretend to have anything like the experience of those who have planned and executed the awesome WorldCon parties.

The key thing is that party planning works best (in my experience) with two or three people who are willing to put in a fair amount of time, rather than a dozen who each put in a little. It goes back to those issues I mentioned in the other thread, about co-ordinating people: there's a point of diminishing returns that you reach in the early stages. Of course, come the party itself it's 'the more the merrier'. :)

I have received a message via the Google Wave discussion from Danielle who is one of the organisers of Octocon who passes on this message:

I think it is clear that we are still at the ideas stage here and this might not happen, but Octocon are aware of the discussion and I think would be receptive to the idea :)

I've signed up here just in case anyone has any questions, too. I'll do my best to get answers. ;)

I've signed up here just in case anyone has any questions, too. I'll do my best to get answers. ;)

I do have a question or ten, but some are quite detailed. :P Is it OK to PM you?

Iceman,

It there was one I would.

Peadar,

It's unlikely that I'll make Octocon. My family will make a trip to Ireland sometime in the next few years, it's just unlikely to be next year.

Well, I look forward to having all of you over for dinner. Let me know in advance so I can lie in wait for one of my neighbours -- a large, hearty peasant, if possible...

Peadar,

Well, I look forward to having all of you over for dinner. Let me know in advance so I can lie in wait for one of my neighbours -- a large, hearty peasant, if possible...

Make friends first. The farmers who raise Kobe beef actually massage their cattle. Think of that effect with "long pig."

Peadar,

Make friends first. The farmers who raise Kobe beef actually massage their cattle. Think of that effect with "long pig."

I like you, Ser Scott, but I'm not going to massage your long pig for you. :leaving:

• 1 month later...

Archived