Octocon 2010: Dublin, 16-17 October

Just a note: I just got MG's note and am just starting to download the videos now, but I'm having real difficulty. I promise I'll post the transcripts as soon as I have them done, but do please estimate that it'll be at least another couple of days before both are ready. (My connection speed at the moment is estimating it'll take one day just to get the videos. It seems really odd, because the videos aren't really that big, as videos go, but there's only so much I can do about the hotel's download speed.)

If anyone wants to be left out of the transcript (or anonymized where possible, etc), please just send me a PM.

Edited: Actually, a better way of putting it is that everyone (except GRRM and/or Kristian Nairn) will probably be anonymous to start. If you want to be identified, let me know and include what identifier you want, real name/board name/something else.

Special mentions will however go to Alytha and Luzifers Right Hand, yesterday was fun and interesting. The final visit to the Bleeding Horse was a perfect way for me to end the trip. A nod to williamjm aswell, we had a nice conversation in the bar area before and throughout the Cake.

When is the next con? Thanks again!

It was nice to meet you too.

I think the next con George is going to be at in this part of the world will be Eastercon in London in 2012.

It was great to see everyone again, and meet a few of the new folks.

Conversely, I'm sorry to have missed the chance to properly meet plenty of others, but then, I always feel that way after a meet, so it must be standard for me.

Pity I couldn't be out more. I only got to the one con item and really wanted to go to others, but my style is always to stay out drinking till the last, so that means getting up late, and my best friend's surprise 30th birthday party limited the amount of time I was able to spend.

I've come down with the post-con lurgy. It's a headcold at the moment.

Worth it though :D

Just arrived home after what seemed a pointlessly long trip home. Thanks for hanging out at the airport this morning, Pod. How nice to have been surprised at the airport, both coming and going - Irish hospitality at its best.

Now that I'm home and I'm facing the prospect of returning to the real world and work tomorrow, I really AM post-con emo. Say it ain't so.

George's Q&A. You'll find a few mistakes, I'm sure, and there are a couple of points marked with question marks where I could use some help. (Suggestions and corrections are welcome, but please remember that some of the really obvious grammatical errors -- run-on sentences, subject-verb mismatch, etc, are often just the way that people speak. This isn't a published interview, it's a transcript.) For the most part, though, this is the entire session with George. Enjoy! Special thanks go to lady narcissa's notes, too, because they made "interpreting" certain parts much easier. :)

Now to focus on the Kristian Nairn one, and I hope it won't take as long! (Don't hold your collective breath, though. ;))

BTW, Scribd has unfortunately removed some of the formatting from my document. If and when it's going to a "permanent home", I'll hand over a copy of the original PDF/Word doc, as preferred.

...And to Luga and Mich - I don't think I'll ever forget our conversation with GRRM about the biggest cock and breasts in Westeros, Myrish swamps, and just what we want to read about men doing with one another...

*dies laughing* I definitely have to say that was easily my favourite chat of the con.

I'm home :( I had a blast and loved seeing everyone again! Lost my camera friday night so no pics for the board :( Thanks for the book MG! Pebble, I didn't cry :P LRH and Paddy are wusses. Pod is the king of rolling with punches. Drac is as always awesome. The Scottish boarders..what to say... :love: and thanks for the new drink recipie Seany :cheers:

*dies laughing* I definitely have to say that was easily my favourite chat of the con.

I'm home :( I had a blast and loved seeing everyone again! Lost my camera friday night so no pics for the board :( Thanks for the book MG! Pebble, I didn't cry :P LRH and Paddy are wusses. Pod is the king of rolling with punches. Drac is as always awesome. The Scottish boarders..what to say... :love: and thanks for the new drink recipie Seany :cheers:

hah :P

The 'Best Lean of the Con' Award was presented by the astoundingly sensual Isis to Lilsisorcha, on the basis of exceptionally surprising leaning. The following is a transcript of her acceptance speech:

" I am so very honoured to accept the award for 'Best Lean of the Con'. I'd like to thank my Mom, my brother, all my sisters and all my extended families, the BWB, Parris and George, the wonderful Octocon Team, the academic staff of DIT, where I recieved my BA in Leaning (Performance) *music started at this point* who always encouraged me to explore my all my strange, and sometimes frightening leaning abilities. Thank You. Thank You. .. oh and of course myself, without who's existence I wouldnt be here to accept this prestegious honor. Thank YOU. And of course thank you Isis for your inspiring clevagealicious lean, that evoked my keen interst in being a part of the whole Octocon Leaning Experience. Thank you to Pod for being perfect for leaning on.. *security come to take her away now* I love you all *now shouting from the wings* especially ME .. Im greaaaaa.... "

Sorry guys, but this one's much more difficult than I expected. Between the con's mic problem and the fact that the phone mic sometimes seemed to pick up everything except whoever was speaking, it's slow going. I should still have it done before Game of Thrones airs, though. :P

Hello everyone, late to the party as always. Let me just reiterate what others have said, and say what a wonderful time I had. Thank you all for being so kind to a newcomer.

I don't think I understood half of what was said in the panels but hopefully I'll do better next time. And I might even attend a party or two.

Along those lines... Anyone in NZ who wants to meet up in a few days?

Thanks also for the tip on the ferry, and I advise SamanthaofTarth to post it on hitchwiki. I could do it, if it's a bother, but it's not my tip to begin with.

And of course, the fact that I got to shake hands with George went directly into my mental diary. :P

Archived